Pegasys Products BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

Pegasys Products BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 465 / 982 ]   Next > >>
Classify Product Title User name Reply Last update
Bug report TE25 Output YUV as YCbCr or as CCIR601 Cosmin Truta 0 2003-06-13 01:41:48
Question TE25 No Sound Gremlee 1 2003-06-14 21:00:06
Question TE25 Encoding abz 2 2003-06-13 16:15:43
Question TE25 Filesize Thunderthumbs 3 2003-06-12 20:31:46
Question TE25 Won't recognize *.d2v files Edward Baden 1 2003-06-12 20:29:33
Question TE25 Amin, My apologies, the double was not my intention, please read on MenderOne 0 2003-06-11 22:45:17
Question TE25 King John, in one of your Guides I saw you had a reference to JUNK Frames? MenderOne 3 2003-06-12 21:28:25
Question TE25 how to make a movie smufguy 1 2003-06-11 21:03:57
Question TE25 Cutting long video into 2 parts Si 1 2003-06-11 21:02:12
Question TE25 can TMPgenc could convert from PAL to NTSC? daniel 14 2003-06-16 21:55:08
Request TE25 Extra file to save the first pass of "2-pass" setting. Tokafondo 4 2003-06-23 13:11:34
Bug report TE25 Divx 5.03 avi not a supported format Viper 1 2003-06-11 20:58:48

Pegasys Products BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 465 / 982 ]   Next > >>
Bug report - TE25 - Output YUV as YCbCr or as CCIR601 No.37445
Cosmin Truta  2003-06-13 01:41:48 ( ID:r9hllueotnj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi,

I am using TMPGEnc to convert DV-AVI to VideoCD. On DV-AVI, the YUV data is already in the CCIR601 format, so there is no need to convert it again (in the box MPEG Settings/Quantize Matrix/Special Settings/Output YUV...). I am checking on this box, assuming that the YUV data remains unaltered. I assume that every conversion to CCIR601 loses some data (Y is squeezed from 0-255 to 8-235).

My observation is exactly the opposite: the "conversion to CCIR601" preserves the data, while the "conversion to YCbCr" alters it (maybe Y is expanded from 8-235 to 0-255).

I noticed this by repeatedly compressing a MPEG file. If I use "output as CCIR601" repeatedly, the pixels' intensity is preserved. If I use "output as YCbCr" repeatedly, the intensity is expanded to "too much white" or "too much black".

Is this the right behavior? If yes, then the recommendation written in the yellow box that appears as a tooltip is wrong (and my first assumptions are also wrong). If not, then I think there's a bug in this conversion.

I am using TMPGEnc version 2.59.47.155. I am willing to upgrade to the latest version, if this problem is already solved.

Thank you very much for giving us TMPGEnc!
Cosmin

Question - TE25 - No Sound No.37443
Gremlee  2003-06-13 00:55:02 ( ID:e3fg0cvdisc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I've used VirtualDub to strip the uncompressed sound out of an avi i've got. I then use tmpgenc to encode but every time I try the sound doesn't come out. It doesn't complain about the wav file i give it - the sound just doesn't come out of the resulting mpg. I keep trying just 300 frames to check but to no avail.

I'm pretty new to this and it's my first time so please help.

Minion  2003-06-14 21:00:06 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Have you checked the Wav file to see if it has sound?? If all else fails you can take the Wav file (If it has sound) and use a Totally seperate audio encoder to Encode it to Mpeg 1 layer 2 audio then use Tmpgenc"s "Simple Multiplex" in the Mpeg tools to Join the Mpeg audio to the Video...There are a Few Freeware Mpeg audio encoders like "Headac3he" and even "DB Power AMP" can do it....

Question - TE25 - Encoding No.37440
abz  2003-06-12 23:16:20 ( ID:eo6ixh3rqra )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I am very new to 'Encoding' video files. I have used the free version to encode an AVI file to MPEG1 no problems the first time, but the second time I tried to encode an AVI file to MPEG1 for VCD PAL, I get an error saying 'cannot open file or unsupported'. What do I need to do?

MenderOne  2003-06-13 15:19:30 ( ID:mlc5gxmj6tl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Because you sucessfully encoded an avi file doesn't mean you will always have the same success with every avi file, as Avi files are encoded by different means, you need to find out what the encoding of the source is, by using a program called GSpot or the like, then in TMPGEnc go to Options,Environmental Settings, VFAPI -plugins and raise the priority level of the codec decompressor to match the encoder that GSpot showed the original source to have been. The error message that you gave appears to be this problem (The VFAPI-plugin needs to be prioritized correctly or it won't recognise (unsupported) the source.

MenderOne  2003-06-13 16:15:43 ( ID:mlc5gxmj6tl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Because you sucessfully encoded an avi file doesn't mean you will always have the same success with every avi file, as Avi files are encoded by different means, you need to find out what the encoding of the source is, by using a program called GSpot or the like, then in TMPGEnc go to Options,Environmental Settings, VFAPI -plugins and raise the priority level of the codec decompressor to match the encoder that GSpot showed the original source to have been. The error message that you gave appears to be this problem (The VFAPI-plugin needs to be prioritized correctly or it won't recognise (unsupported) the source.

Question - TE25 - Filesize No.37436
Thunderthumbs  2003-06-12 14:31:50 ( ID:/ybt99n89s. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'm converting an avi file into mpeg2 and the final mpeg file is just a little to big (5 GB) to burn to a dvd.

How can I set a limit on the file size?

If I use the project wizard then I can set 'Make file size xx % of disk capacity' but since I have made my own template I'm not using the wizard and I don't see this possibility anywhere in the main window.

Can anybody help?

Cheers

MenderOne  2003-06-12 14:58:06 ( ID:mlc5gxmj6tl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If you reduce the bitrate in the settings one notch, it'll decrease the output size.

Thunderthumbs  2003-06-12 19:51:20 ( ID:pgxjjhknhl. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Okay - but can I see the expected file size like in the project wizard or do I have to guess how much I need to reduce the bitate by?

Minion  2003-06-12 20:31:46 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If you use a "Bitrate Calculator" you can use to to figure out the Bitrate you would have to use for the length of the movie you are encodeing so it fits on a DVD..

Question - TE25 - Won't recognize *.d2v files No.37434
Edward Baden  2003-06-12 04:40:10 ( ID:ykugapqgyzm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'm using cladDVD XP 1.32 which creates VOB, WAV and D2V files. My understanding is that TMPGenc ver 2.57 would be able to read the D2V file as the fie to use to encode along with the VOB files the WAV file of course would be audio.

First the D2V file doesn't appear as a valid file to use and when I try to use the D2V file to encode from the error cannot open or is unsupported pops up. Others I know use this same combination of software and have had no problems with it.

What's up?

Minion  2003-06-12 20:29:33 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

For Tmpgenc to accept D2V files the "DVD2AVI.vfp" Plugin has to be installed, you install it by Downloading DVD2AVI and takeing the "DVD2AVI.VFP" file from the DVD2AVI folder and Copy and Pasteing it into the Tmpgenc folder...But it is Best NOT to use the D2V files created By CladDVD XP or DVD Decrypter or Smartripper and use DVD2AVI to make the D2V file, Cuz DVD2AVI has options that effect the Quality and the way the Image looks which your DVD Ripper doesn"t have, Plus the D2V files from DVD2AVI are more compatible.....

Question - TE25 - Amin, My apologies, the double was not my intention, please read on No.37433
MenderOne  2003-06-11 22:45:17 ( ID:mlc5gxmj6tl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Admin I tried to delete the second post that is timed 16:40 but I could not, I am not sure how this happened I must have done something wrong, please delete the post with the time 16:40 ( The one about asking King John) for me, thank you, and again my apologies.

Question - TE25 - King John, in one of your Guides I saw you had a reference to JUNK Frames? No.37429
MenderOne  2003-06-11 19:31:16 ( ID:mlc5gxmj6tl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What exactly is JUNK frames? And if it effects TMPGEnc, and causes it to crash midway or at some point of the encoding process, how can one solve the problem?

Minion  2003-06-11 21:06:14 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I guess there can be a Few things that can be considered Junk frames,But most of it has to do with Files that have been captured and the Only Kind of frames that can cause Tmpgenc to crash are Corrupted frames which are Very common with Downloaded files...

MenderOne  2003-06-11 22:34:10 ( ID:mlc5gxmj6tl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I think it's something different, based on what I saw in Gspot, there is a reference to JUNK as code under "comments and metadata" section ,also shows JUNK as (ASCII in Junk Chunk)under the RIFF info field. So I think it's some type of encoding done to the source, I also see that vdub was was used.

ashy  2003-06-12 21:28:25 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You can use Virtualdub to remove junk chunks. Just simply use the directcopy option for the Video and Audio and it should remove any junk chunks.

Question - TE25 - how to make a movie No.37427
smufguy  2003-06-11 18:33:08 ( ID:dfoejtvrxzr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi, im very very new to this so u can say im a newbie. I came across this software from Techtv broadcast and i cant seem to figure out how to make a MPEG movie into somehing that can be played on a home DVD player.

CD: Does a regular Writable CD and a CD drive enough?
How do i make it playable on a home DVD player. My Player is Panasonic DVD-CV51

Minion  2003-06-11 21:03:57 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Well you need to have a Movie to encode, and you need a Program that is For Burning VCD"s...Go here and Read a LOT!! http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

Question - TE25 - Cutting long video into 2 parts No.37425
Si  2003-06-11 14:06:45 ( ID:m3kovyvmiln )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'm trying to encode and burn a .asf file. It's longer than 80-minutes, so I need to set an end point, and I'd hoped to be able to view it and chop the video in two between songs. But when I try to set that end point, the machine freezes up. I'm on a Pentium III with 264K RAM, so there should be plenty of memory.

Minion  2003-06-11 21:02:12 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Well you can allways cut it after encodeing with the Merge & Cut feature...

Question - TE25 - can TMPgenc could convert from PAL to NTSC? No.37410
daniel  Home )  2003-06-11 12:08:57 ( ID:8pu14nksmmr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

can TMPgenc could convert from PAL to NTSC?

thanks

D

Kika  2003-06-11 12:15:40 ( ID:gxmkoa4dlnj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Not realy. Search the Board, there are several solutions for Konverting PAL->NTSC or NTSC->PAL.

MenderOne  2003-06-11 22:35:30 ( ID:mlc5gxmj6tl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Yes it can, you have to use the settings when you rencode and change it to NTSC.

MenderOne  2003-06-11 22:37:25 ( ID:mlc5gxmj6tl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Use the Extra/Unlock MCF. First then proceed to the re-encode process.

Kika  2003-06-12 09:22:52 ( ID:gxmkoa4dlnj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

@MenderOne

No, it can't do it propperly! What you will get is a bad looking Video.

And there's no need to use the unlock MCF. You can change the Settings directly. Just click on "Frame rate", "Size" or something else (click on the word, not onto the Box), the you can Lock/Unlock single settings.

MenderOne  2003-06-12 09:40:15 ( ID:mlc5gxmj6tl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

@ KIKA

I've converted at least 13 of 15 files from PAL to NTSC using TMPGEnc with no problems, the videos looked fine.What I failed to mention is that when I encountered a problem ( with 2 of those 15 files) what I did was Framserved the video with Vdub and the audio that was extracted from the original)But the remaining thirteen files I did it with TMPGEnc alone with no problems.If you are referring that when you play it on the computer it shows green or not at all, then that's a codec issue on the player used, and if you try it on a standalone it will show just fine.

Kika  2003-06-12 11:06:31 ( ID:gxmkoa4dlnj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I know your Way, and it works, that's right, but TMPGEnc does not do a propper Framerate-Conversion. What you can do is a PAL-SpeedUp (23.976 -> 25 FpS) or a NTSC-SlowDown (25 -> 23.976 FpS). But than you only can convert progressive Video, you must use the Option "Do not convert Frame rate" and you have to use a Tool like BeSweet to SpeedUp/SlowDown the Audio-Part.
If you need 25 -> 29.97 FpS or 29.97 -> 25 FpS, you have to use AVISynth to get realy smooth Motion and you don't need BeSweet.

MenderOne  2003-06-12 14:51:47 ( ID:mlc5gxmj6tl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Nope, I used it standalone and set it at 29.97 fps, I wish there were a way for me to send you a vid I converted so you could see for yourself, it handled it quite well with without a really noticable change in video quality. I Use Goldwave 5 (EXCELLENT audio tool) and extract the audio with believe it or not, no sync issues whatsoever when I use Vdub and set it to frameserve, Then in TMPGEnc for the source video I set it to use the .vbs that I created from the frameserve in vdub, and for the audio source I load the wave that goldwave decompresed, the framerate is set at standard 29.97 NTSC, and the result has no sync sync issues at all. The reason I use the unlock .mcf is it unlocks everything on the source and not just a single aspect, who knows, maybe that's why it's working for me. ;)

Minion  2003-06-12 20:47:54 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

It is a VERY Well Known fact that Tmpgenc does not do Correct Frame tate conversions, What Tmpgenc does Is use Frame Duplication and Decimation which is the "Incorrect" way to Convert Framerates, the Correct way is to use Field Interpolation, with Files converted from or to Pal/NTSC with Tmpgenc will have Repeated Frames which will give a Start stop sort of effect in High motion areas..Because you can not see it just means that you do not have an eye for it I guess and doesn"t mean that the effect is not there because it is ..I have answered Many posts over the last year about this very Problem with Tmpgenc and most poeple notice the stuttering effect and come here and ask why they can"t convert from or to Pal/NTSC without this effect even though it is subtle at times..Hori the author of Tmpgenc says that he has plans to add correct Frame rate conversion to Tmpgenc 3.0 and him just saying this Proves that tmpgenc does not do it correctly at this time..But if you don"t notice the effect then well I guess that is good so you don"t have to use seperate tool to do it Properly....Cheers

ashy  2003-06-12 21:36:51 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I agree with Kika and Minion.
TMPG cannot do proper frame rate conversion.
MenderOne you are obviously a novice encoder or you would have realised this and noticed the problem. ANY conversion of frame rates in TMPG will cause playback artifacts. These artifacts are a sort of regular stuttering every second or so or a slight pause every second.

If you haven't noticed this when watching a movie then you can't be very observant.
It's best seen on moving parts of the image, say when a car goes from left to right. It will semm like the car is stuttering.

Take it from me it is there you just haven't noticed it yet. Once you do it's annoying. There are correct ways to do frame rate conversions however.

MenderOne  2003-06-13 08:51:03 ( ID:mlc5gxmj6tl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

>Guy's , My vision is a perfect 20/20, I just checked the converted files VERY closely, I've been tinkering quite exhaustively with TMPGEnc settings for quite some time, have read many posts and suggestions regarding conversion in King Johns Guides, VCD help, Kwags KVCD , Doom 9 and the like for hours on end , trying and retrying till the results end up acceptable, and TRUST me, I was VERY observant as I strive for the best possible results I can get from a given source, the start stop effects (even in high motion areas)were NOT present,nor in NO way would it have been acceptable for me to even burn, maybe it's because I adjust and readjust and explore with many different settings dependant on each individual source that I work with, and that's why it's working for me.I don't know what else to say other than to try exhaustively as I have and you too will see that albieght it may not "correctly" convert Pal to NTSC as has been stated, it's working just fine with me without any of the afforementioned start stops, and many of the source vids I have used have fast scenes and the like.

I am one of the most PATIENT guys you could ever run into when it comes to getting things done right, I stop at nothing and continue for hours till I get the desired results and it is in that manner that many veteran encoders have learned new tricks with programs that others have yet to discover.
:)

>I agree with Kika and Minion.
>TMPG cannot do proper frame rate conversion.
>MenderOne you are obviously a novice encoder or you would have realised this and noticed the problem. ANY conversion of frame rates in TMPG will cause playback artifacts. These artifacts are a sort of regular stuttering every second or so or a slight pause every second.
>
>If you haven't noticed this when watching a movie then you can't be very observant.
>It's best seen on moving parts of the image, say when a car goes from left to right. It will semm like the car is stuttering.
>
>Take it from me it is there you just haven't noticed it yet. Once you do it's annoying. There are correct ways to do frame rate conversions however.

MenderOne  2003-06-13 09:18:55 ( ID:mlc5gxmj6tl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

>Guy's , My vision is a perfect 20/20, I just checked the converted files VERY closely, I've been tinkering quite exhaustively with TMPGEnc settings for quite some time, have read many posts and suggestions regarding conversion in King Johns Guides, VCD help, Kwags KVCD , Doom 9 and the like for hours on end , trying and retrying till the results end up acceptable, and TRUST me, I was VERY observant as I strive for the best possible results I can get from a given source, the start stop effects (even in high motion areas)were NOT present,nor in NO way would it have been acceptable for me to even burn, maybe it's because I adjust and readjust and explore with many different settings dependant on each individual source that I work with, and that's why it's working for me.I don't know what else to say other than to try exhaustively as I have and you too will see that albieght it may not "correctly" convert Pal to NTSC as has been stated, it's working just fine with me without any of the afforementioned start stops, and many of the source vids I have used have fast scenes and the like.

I am one of the most PATIENT guys you could ever run into when it comes to getting things done right, I stop at nothing and continue for hours till I get the desired results and it is in that manner that many veteran encoders have learned new tricks with programs that others have yet to discover.
:)

>I agree with Kika and Minion.
>TMPG cannot do proper frame rate conversion.
>MenderOne you are obviously a novice encoder or you would have realised this and noticed the problem. ANY conversion of frame rates in TMPG will cause playback artifacts. These artifacts are a sort of regular stuttering every second or so or a slight pause every second.
>
>If you haven't noticed this when watching a movie then you can't be very observant.
>It's best seen on moving parts of the image, say when a car goes from left to right. It will semm like the car is stuttering.
>
>Take it from me it is there you just haven't noticed it yet. Once you do it's annoying. There are correct ways to do frame rate conversions however.

ashy  2003-06-13 18:19:41 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Look if you are happy with the way your movie looks then fine, but I can guarantee you that the artifact is there, it's only slight but it's there and there are many many others that will confirm this, even the author admits it. You don't have some special technique that no of us know about. Many of us have been using TMPG exhastively too over the years and would know if there was some magic setting to get correct frame rate conversion.
It's simply a matter of you not knowing what you are looking for.

MenderOne  2003-06-14 03:12:17 ( ID:mlc5gxmj6tl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Ashy, have you exhaustively tinkered with the latest version?, It hasn't been out for all that long.I have been, since it came out. Every new version opens doors to new possibilities. I will always exhaustive search for them. Don't get me wrong now, but possibilities do exist. No matter HOW much experience one may have, no matter HOW many years one has encoding or in whatever field one may be in, there will always be a door open to new ideas, techniques, and the like. Hell, I have seen some bright individuals (Even Novices at that)come up with ideas and find new ways to doing things that have left EXPERTS astounded. When a technical mind gets TOO technical, sometimes even the obvious has been overlooked, some will admit it, others DARE not to for sake of saving face or ego. I have an EXTREMELY open mind and will never say that an individual does "not have some special technique that others don't know about" I on the other hand would probably say something to the effect of "Hmmm it's possible,one never knows" But you are entitled to your opinion, and I respect that. You feel one way about things as others feel differently. To each's own I guess. ;) Peace

ashy  2003-06-16 21:55:08 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Well, just did a PAL to NTSC conversion and an NTSC to PAL conversion with the latest version and yes, the artifact is still there. But like I say if it doesn't bother you then there is no problem. :]

Request - TE25 - Extra file to save the first pass of "2-pass" setting. No.37405
Tokafondo  Home )  2003-06-11 10:19:24 ( ID:qzsu1qop8tk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hello.

In CCE SP Encoder there is an option in multipass modes to save a file with the results of the analysis made to the video stream for later uses.

If I want to try different video settings and want to use multipass, I have to wait TMPGEnc to analyse the complete movie every time.

It would be useful if you could save the result of the analysis the first time to be used later many times.

Thanks for you work.

Minion  2003-06-11 21:00:28 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The Information collected in the Pass is Saved but it is Different than CCE, the File can be over 5gb and is deleted when encodeing is Done...

Tokafondo  Home )  2003-06-13 19:58:02 ( ID:qzsu1qop8tk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks for your response.

I'm using Windows 98SE, so I'd have problems with >4GB, unless the file is saved in 4GB sections.

I ask for this extra 2-pass file to be saved because If I want to fit a movie in a 700MB CD and have to change average or maximum bitrate to accomplish this, I have to wait for TMPGENC analyze the whole movie again just for a bit change.

If I could use the previously created 2-pass file again I could save the half of the time the whole process takes, and that is MORE important for me that the fact that it could take 5GB of space in my hard disk.

Thanks for your work.

rowan  2003-06-14 14:24:23 ( ID:nsaxjv/ogca )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Have a look at option->environmental setting->CPU->Cache setting. I don't know if this is on by default, but I have it enabled with a 4000Mb maximum cache size. This may be what you're looking for...

Tokafondo  Home )  2003-06-23 13:11:34 ( ID:qzsu1qop8tk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks, but that is not my request!

My request is: the results of the first pass of "2-pass" modes to be saved to a file that could be reused when necessary.

Bug report - TE25 - Divx 5.03 avi not a supported format No.37403
Viper  2003-06-11 09:13:29 ( ID:y5rpvuq1ohc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

im having trouble converting an avi encoded using divx 5.03 to vcd or anything else for that matter. when i try to open the avi TEMPGEnc keeps on saying that the file cannot open or is an unsupported format. it works fine and have had no troubles using divx 5.02...so if anyone knows what is stuffing up, please help me.

Minion  2003-06-11 20:58:48 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Go to "Options" to "Enviromental settings" to "Vfapi Plugins" and Raise the Direct Show to "2"....

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.