TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 25 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Classify Title User name Reply Last update
Question Repeat performance somersetlad 0 2005-05-12 03:00:44
Question Hardware - Speed Fraggle 7 2005-06-04 08:22:46
Question help dont understand error message newbie 2 2005-05-04 23:47:36
Request VCD error magikid 1 2005-05-04 22:24:37
Question AVI conversion results in bad video on TV Dave Marra 1 2005-05-04 22:40:33
Question Newb resize question Riku 0 2005-05-01 13:46:58
Free talk Mixed-framerate MPEG2 pulldown utility for TMPGEnc dbloom 0 2005-04-29 22:17:44
Question Subtitles and VCD's Missy 1 2005-04-30 13:15:52
Question No Sound at MPEG-2 Jeong-Woo Lee 1 2005-05-08 13:18:57
Request VCD templates marcelo 0 2005-04-28 05:51:08
Question avi preview video is completely garbled spatzi 0 2005-04-27 18:44:06
Question avi to mpeg- output is WAY longer and WAY bigger than oringinal Shakotah 1 2005-11-08 07:24:31

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 25 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Question - Repeat performance No.43200
somersetlad  2005-05-12 03:00:44 ( ID:xqipt476aqo )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I am new to TMPGEnc and I have experimented cutting and joining a short 2 min captured TV shot, which was then converted to a MPEG2 file.

I cut and joined some MPEG2 clips from that MPEG TV shot (using TMPGEnc 2.524). Then using other software I encoded the joined MPEG file (using VSO DivxToDvD software)and burnt the result to a DVD (using CopyToDvd).

I found that the finished 2 min product on the video DVD (as played with Power DVD)automatically repeated itself at the end of the joined clip instead of stopping.
Apart from TMPGEnc I have used the other software to make DVDs many times without this particular problem arising.
Is this a known problem with TMPGEnc??
Any comments appreciated

somersetlad

Question - Hardware - Speed No.43192
Fraggle  2005-05-10 13:48:37 ( ID:q6yhpdlkvo. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Sorry if this is a terribly newbie question. I do a great deal of transcoding from DivX to VCD using TMPGEnc 2.5 (although I'm open to 3.0 if I can find any good reason to switch). Usually the only filters I use are sharpening and deinterlacing. I was wondering how certain hardware may or may not affect the overall speed. The two items I'm thinking about are memory (size) and video card.

First, I currently have 1GB of DDR RAM, and I was wondering if another 1GB would do anything. I suspect any improvement would be extremely minor, but I figured I should ask the experts.

Now, for the video card. Does this have *any* bearing whatsoever on the encoding process in TMPGEnc? I'm under the impression it's all about the CPU, but again I thought it best to ask those who would know rather than just guess.

Thanks in advance for your time.

ashy  2005-05-10 21:39:06 ( ID:c9rwdyebxxw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Video card will do nowt for performance. Memory may give a very slight increase, but very slight with the amount you already have.

Why are you applying de-interlace filters to an AVI? Unless this AVI comes from an interlaced source such as a capture then it's pointless. A decent HD will give an increase and decoding and encoding to different drives will also.
If you want much faster speed then it's the CPU I'm afraid. Also don't go overkill with optimizations you don't need.

Fraggle  2005-05-10 21:57:22 ( ID:q6yhpdlkvo. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Basically some of the source AVI files weren't captured properly and have annoying interlace lines when there's significant motion. Deinterlacing takes care of this annoyance with relatively minor loss in quality.

Out of curiosity, does any hardware exist that can do transcoding from DivX to MPEG1? I tried finding something on videohelp.com, but no luck.

Thanks!

ashy  2005-05-13 22:22:26 ( ID:c9rwdyebxxw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Christ mate there are loads. Almost any MPEG2 capture card will capture to MPEG1 also.
Check out the link:
http://www.videohelp.com/capturecards.php?CaptureCard=&mpeg1=1&searchconnection=Any&price=&orderby=Name&hits=25&Submit=Search&Search=Search

ashy  2005-05-13 22:30:04 ( ID:c9rwdyebxxw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Just to add, after re-raeding your post, I'm not sure which ones do a direct AVI to MPEG capture. I think it would be possible, but why would you want to anyway. Software capturing is by far the better way and not always slower if you have a decent PC. You will have more control over the output quality too.

Fraggle  2005-05-16 16:48:57 ( ID:q6yhpdlkvo. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I was just researching the hardware-assisted options for the speed factor. Sometimes I need to do a great number of these conversions in a short period of time. For now I've purchased a new PC (which I needed anyway), so that will improve my situation but a hardware transcoder would be still be helpful.

And, why? Well, my clients need certain multimedia files in VCD format for their own reasons. :)

ashy  2005-05-16 21:05:11 ( ID:c9rwdyebxxw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

>And, why? Well, my clients need certain multimedia files in VCD format for their own reasons. :)

LOL...don't worry mate, we understand. ;)

John  2005-06-04 08:22:46 ( ID:rp95zxtzfxk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi Fraggle,

It is always better to capture in an uncompressed avi format and then compress to DivX, mpeg1, mpeg2, or whatever compression that you need or prefer afterward. If you have a better capyured avi you won't need those filters which will increase the speed of the compression.

I use Virtual Dub for capture and editing, Dr Divx for DivX compression, and TMPGEnc for mpeg1 & mpeg2 compression with great (and very easy) results.

It is unlikely that more RAM would help you out (your computer may not even recognize more than 1GB of DDR RAM) and as Ashy said seperate hard drives for source and output help a great deal. When you say the video card do you mean the card that you capture the video with or the video output card on your computer? If it's a capture card, the better the card, the better the capture. If it's output it means nothing to the output.

The "annoying interlace lines when there's significant motion" is most likely from the DivX compression. In my opinion it's not as good as mpeg.

If you have some time take a good capture and encode it using different compression and you'll see what I mean.

I hope this was of help to you.

Question - help dont understand error message No.43189
newbie  2005-05-03 23:32:59 ( ID:1u692glijul )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

when atempting to convert avi file in tmgenc it comes up with, cant load "p3package" help i dont know what it meant i have a free version. any ideas(anyone)

ashy  2005-05-04 22:25:14 ( ID:c9rwdyebxxw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Yes we do have an idea. Please use the search function.

newby  2005-05-04 23:47:36 ( ID:1u692glijul )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

sorry about that i set it very late in the evening so had no time to do the serch. thankyou for the helpfull comment :-)

Request - VCD error No.43187
magikid  2005-05-03 03:14:47 ( ID:rdnxhn0hcka )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I am trying to encode an avi to an mpeg for a vcd. I keep getting:
"System Error: 6
The handle is invalid."

Please help.

ashy  2005-05-04 22:24:37 ( ID:c9rwdyebxxw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Update your codecs. Try installing FFDSHOW.
If that doesn't work then your source may be corrupt.

Question - AVI conversion results in bad video on TV No.43185
Dave Marra  2005-05-02 20:50:22 ( ID:kle96/1eixg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'm going to describe this as best as possible to help folks see if they can help me figure out what is wrong.

I have the following: Pinnacle StudioBox DV for ripping 8mm and VHS tapes to raw .AVI format. An hour of video results in a single 32Gb file (yeah, 32 Gb). From there I use Pinnacle Studio to cut the AVI file into smaller portions that are topic by topic. These are family videos so you get the idea, this kid, that kid, this event, that event, etc. Anyway, The resulting .AVI files look just fine in the PC running at DVD resolution and rates at 4.3 NTSC.

Now Pinnacle Studio is a bit of a pain in the neck to actually make the DVD, so I decided to get DVDlab and TMPGEnc. I am taking the .AVI files and running them through TMPGEnc to encode them into separate audio and video streams. I then collect these together with DVDlab and build a DVD. All of this works without flaw, a very happy camper in this respect.

HOWEVER. When I view the resulting video on the television the video itself is horrible. Let me describe what I see as I don't know what's happening. First, the picture is very "bright", much brighter than when played on the PC. It also won't display "solids". So if someone is wearing a blue shirt, on the TV the shirt is stripped, horizontally, blue, red, blue, red... though not a definite blue/red but hues of color stripes. The picture also apears "jumpy" and grainy. Not resolution grainy where someone took a 300x200 and enhanced it to 720x480, but still "grainy".

What am I doing wrong? I've tried many different settings to get the AVI to convert properly, none have worked. I'm thankfull that i'm using DVD-RW disks and not DVD-R.. lol

Any help would be apprecieated.

- .dave.

ashy  2005-05-04 22:40:33 ( ID:c9rwdyebxxw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Seems like a decoding problem.
However it's unusual to get one like this with raw AVI, but a raw AVI at full resolution can take a fair bit of PC power if it uses RGB rather than YUY2.
FFDSHOW has the ability to decode raw AVI and does a better job of it using less system resources, however you will need to enable it in the options first.

Also try raising the priority of the 'Open DML' file reader to top of the list in the VFAPI plugins.
If you decide to try FFDSHOW the 'directshow file reader' must be top of the list.

Question - Newb resize question No.43184
Riku  2005-05-01 13:46:58 ( ID:l/muoy0othh )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I am using the tmpgend free version to convert avi files. However, these avi files have subtitles burned into them and it seems that when they're converted and viewed, the lower 2/3 of the screen is gone. I am not sure if this is a conversion or overscan issue so I wanted to resize the files to add "padding" along the top and bottom. But I can't seem to get it right. Any suggestions?

Free talk - Mixed-framerate MPEG2 pulldown utility for TMPGEnc No.43183
dbloom  Home )  2005-04-29 22:17:44 ( ID:aiamsu5q0ca )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have made a free, proof-of-concept program in Visual Basic that shows how it would be possible to enable mixing frame-rates in progressive video using TMPGEnc. If anybody uses/tests it, wants to help develop it, etc, I'd love to know.

It uses no blending of frames or interlaced 3:2 pulldown. Instead, it uses the "REPEAT_FIRST_FIELD" and "TOP_FIELD_FIRST" MPEG-2 flags to instruct the player software or device on how long to display each frame. By applying these differently throughout the file, a mixed frame rate can be achieved in a progressive MPEG2 video (these flags are unfortunately not available in MPEG-1).

Here's my post on the doom9 forum that tells more about the program: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93691

Here's the link to my page with the program file and a tutorial on how to use it: http://davidbloom.home.mchsi.com

Thanks!
David Bloom
tmpgbbs@3lesson.org

Question - Subtitles and VCD's No.43181
Missy  2005-04-29 18:00:23 ( ID:sbezb30us6n )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have an avi movie which plays fine on windows media player (with srt subtitles showing). When I open it in TMPGEnc to convert to VCD the subtitles show up just fine, but the picture is upside down. The resulting VCD is upside down except for the subtitles which are fine.

The DirectShow Multimedia File Reader VFAPI plug-in is the highest priority. If I lower the priority the avi will be right-side-up and encode to VCD perfectly... except without subtitles.

So I encoded the movie right-side-up without subtitles thinking I could then raise the priority of DirectShow Multimedia File Reader back to the highest spot and then re-encode a second time with subtitles. No luck, the subtitles will not show up on preview when I try to re-encode the VCD to VCD with subtitles.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

ashy  2005-04-30 13:15:52 ( ID:dbjksrmcnog )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You have several options depending on what codecs and software you are using.
If you are using VOBSUB to overlay the subs then you can check the option to either flip the picture or the subs or both.

If you are using FFDSHOW to decode the AVI you can check the 'flip picture' option. Anothjer option is to frame serve the AVI through AVIsynth and use the 'Flip vertical' command.

You can also try making the VFW reader or AVI2 reader in the VFAPI plugins top priority however you may lose the subs.

Question - No Sound at MPEG-2 No.43179
Jeong-Woo Lee  2005-04-28 10:26:19 ( ID:wbz1p3dmxij )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The mpeg files are converted through TMPGEnc Plus with AVI file and wav file which is made through VirtualDub-1.6.4 and HeadAC3he_024a12.
The mpeg file is played correctly with sound if the convert templet is "Video-CD NTSC (MPEG-1 352x240 29.97fps CBR 1150kbps, Layer-2 44100Hz 224kbps)"
But other mpeg file is played with NO SOUND if the convert templet is "Super Video-CD NTSC (MPEG-2 480x480 29.97fps CBR 2520kbps, Layer-2 44100Hz 224kbps)"
The audio source are same at both.

I wish MPEG-2 file with sound.
What is matter?
Please help...

diesel  2005-05-08 13:18:57 ( ID:8ie7yzyaeyw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I wouldn't bother with the wav extraction etc. Just load the avi into tmpgenc and set to ES video + audio. This works well in my experience (for a PAL DVD)

Request - VCD templates No.43178
marcelo  2005-04-28 05:51:08 ( ID:kzetwbklx6g )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi, I read some old messages talking about templates for encoding VCD at best quality. I've got some Divx movies that I'd like to convert to either VCD, XVCD, SVCD, or XSVCD. Whatever it takes to give me the same quality of the original source. I don't care the size of the files and I don't mind if I have to use 3 CDs to save a 1 hour movie.
I prefer VCDs (non-standard) so if anyone could send me a template to give me the most cristal clear quality I'd be thankful.
Either send the template or send the whole settings I should use... whatever.
Thanks in advance

Question - avi preview video is completely garbled No.43177
spatzi  2005-04-27 18:44:06 ( ID:vo3ip3atyug )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I've got an avi file that won't convert properly to mpeg in tmpgenc. The picture is a wash of colors when I look at it in 'filter settings' under 'source range' or in the preview window. All my other avi files convert perfectly. I did a check on the avi file using avicodec and it tells me this:

Video : 642 MB, 1049 Kbps, 23.976 fps, 608*336 (16:9), DIV3 = DivX v3 ;-) MPEG-4 (Low-Motion), Supported

I also ran gspot on this non working avi file and it tells me it's a div3 codec and that I have two supporting codecs installed that can play it. I also did a render check and it says my direct show can play it as well. All my media players (vlc, wmp) can play this avi file. So why does tmpgenc show me nothing but a mess of colors when I try to convert it to mpeg?

Question - avi to mpeg- output is WAY longer and WAY bigger than oringinal No.43175
Shakotah  2005-04-27 02:39:40 ( ID:bd29iclualn )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I've used tmpgenc before, but this time, i got a problem. my output file is alot longer and alot bigger than the oringinal. from past experiences i know this is not suppose to happen and the size is suppose to be about the same as the oringinal aswell as the length. However, its not and i get 2 hrs of black screen. i remember solving this problem before, but that was years ago, so i cant remember, anyone care to help me solve this problem of black screen after video?

P.S. i checked the FAQ and i used the search, i cant find a solution.

ekinox  2005-11-08 07:24:31 ( ID:bi6j2b28i7k )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Same problem here. I haven't changed any of the settings but the result is awful. I've unistalled and reinstalled the program but nothing has changed.
Hope someone's got a clue about the problem.

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.