TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 263 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Classify Title User name Reply Last update
Question Maximum recommended bit rate for SVCD poohmanchu 2 2003-01-19 07:32:53
Question File "xyz.mpg" can not open, or unsupported Lensman 13 2003-01-27 01:58:19
Free talk CQ_VBR vs Bitrate Tests sndtek 0 2003-01-19 01:37:42
Question Cant load P3package.dll...? Mike Hawk 6 2003-01-20 02:59:18
Question error : 'Invalid pointer operation' MR. kim 0 2003-01-18 23:35:09
Question ACM error Kobesan 1 2003-01-18 22:38:50
Question recording multiple chapters... chillydog 1 2003-01-18 22:36:10
Question MPEG4 (AVI) problem nextyoyoma 2 2003-01-18 22:57:10
Question Best encoding results poohmanchu 7 2003-01-19 22:21:18
Question No audio...ever Tom 2 2003-01-18 22:23:22
Bug report windows 2000 ntdll.dll error War Lord 2 2003-01-26 21:03:14
Question No video but audio present CrankyHoney 2 2003-01-22 01:00:45

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 263 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Question - Maximum recommended bit rate for SVCD No.33686
poohmanchu  2003-01-19 06:01:41 ( ID:tpgvmuehfh6 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What's the max bit rate for SVCD. For VCD's I think it is 1150/kbs.
For example: If I had a 1 minute MPEG and wanted to put that file onto a SVCD by itself encoding it at 10,000/kbs would not be possible (I don't think that the DVD player can spin that fast) So what would you say is the max speed?

poohmanchu  2003-01-19 06:07:25 ( ID:tpgvmuehfh6 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

As an example, when using the template, the Maximum bit rate for any encoding formula is 2520. Any significant reason for this?

Minion  2003-01-19 07:32:53 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

2520kbs is the Standard Max bitrate for SVCD Video,But some Player chan Go Quite a Bit higher and some even have Problem at this Bitrate..I usually Try to keep the Bitrate between 2000kbs and 3000kbs...

Question - File "xyz.mpg" can not open, or unsupported No.33672
Lensman  2003-01-19 05:33:06 ( ID:zncah4e9xyc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What am I doing wrong? I have two side by side boxes. Both are running 2.59. Box #1 reads, encodes mpegs without error. Box #2 states that all files are not supported.

As they both are the same os, same dvd player and such, what am I missing? I have removed TMPGENC and reinstalled it without effect.

poohmanchu  2003-01-19 06:02:52 ( ID:tpgvmuehfh6 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

maybe you don't have all the proper codec like DivX Nemo, Xvid, etc

Minion  2003-01-19 07:36:10 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

To Open Mpeg2 files in Tmpgenc you Need to have certain Mpeg2 decoders installed on your Computer Like the "Cyberlink Mpeg2 decoder" and the "Ligos Mpeg2 decoder" But the Best and fastest way to Encode Mpeg2 files with Tmpgenc is to Frame serve them with DVD2AVI...

Lensman  2003-01-19 13:53:05 ( ID:zncah4e9xyc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Both machines have identical software configurations. Both have DVD players, editors on them (same brands, versions). I am able to play the .mpegs on BOTH machines. I can play the pre-TMPGENC (Studio 8 output) as well as the post TMPGENC generated MPEGS.

Here is a list of VFAPI plug-ins listed on my machines:

1) AVI2(OpenDML) File Reader 0
2) BMP/PPM/TGA/JPG File Reader 0
3) Ligos MPEG-2 Decoder 0*****
4) CyberLink MPEG-2 Decoder 0
5) Microsoft MPEG-1 Decoder 0
6) Wave File Reader 0
7) TMPGenc Project File Reader 2.510 0
8) DirectShow Multimedia File Reader -1
9) AVI VFW Compatibility Reader -2

It is my understanding that the registered TMPGENC "plus" version contains a built in decoder as well. On the machine that works, the list is exactly the same as above EXCEPT the LIGOS decoder is not present. All other lines and priorities are the same. I have tried unchecking or reducing the priorty of the Ligos item (on the machine that does NOT work) without success.

Minion  2003-01-19 22:26:53 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

No the Pluss Version Does Not Come with any Mpeg2 decoders, Did you try Raiseing the Priority of the Mpeg2 decoders to "2" then trying it???? Because you have the same configuration on Both computers Doesn"t nescessarily mean that Both computers should work the Same or react the same in Simular situations ...Well I guess you Know this By Now..DVD2AVI is still a Much better way to Encode Mpeg2 files with Tmpgenc...

Lensman  2003-01-19 22:33:11 ( ID:zncah4e9xyc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

By bettter, what do you mean? I have been using CQ to encode AVI's generated by Studio Eight into MPEG's. I have also used CQ to encode MPEGS to MPEGS (on the box that works).

What does DVD2AVI do? Rip the contents of a DVD to a AVI file? I am working with Video tapes I am capturing/editing.

Lensman  2003-01-19 22:35:59 ( ID:zncah4e9xyc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What do you mean "does not include a mpeg decoder"? I believe the documentation states that a trial version exists in the current download. It is usable for 14 days unless you register it.

Minion  2003-01-19 23:06:43 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Well you First Question States "XYZ.mpg Can not open or unsupported" this Gives me the Impression that you are Trying to Load a Mpeg File into Tmpgenc,Right??? and if you are Trying to Load a Mpeg file into Tmpgenc and you get that error you can use DVD2AVI to Decode and FrameServe the Mpeg2 Video to Tmpgenc..Now you are Saying that you are trying to Load an AVI file into Tmpgenc, So was it just a Typo??? As for Tmpgenc Not Comeing with a Mpeg2 decoder I thingk you Don"t understand What a Mpeg2 decoder is...You can Not Load Mpeg2 files Into Tmpgenc Without a Mpeg2 decoder installed, the Decoder Decodes the Mpeg2 file so Tmpgenc Can read the Mpeg2 file and encode it to What ever you want eg:AVI/Mpeg1/2..To "Decode" and "Encode" are 2 Very Differant things and Has Nothing at all to do with the 30 or 14 day Trials..DVD2AVI "Decodes" so Tmpgenc does not have to and it Frame Serves the "Decoded" Mpeg2 video to Tmpgenc so tmpgenc can "Encode" the "Decoded" Mpeg2 file...If you Have Problems Loading the AVI Files into Tmpgenc then try Raiseing the "Direct Show File Reader" to "2"...

Lensman  2003-01-19 23:42:46 ( ID:zncah4e9xyc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Ah, I suspect I have the wrong word. I am encoding files then. I.E., I am using TMPGENC to reduce/change the bit rates to fit more data onto a given DVD.

Machine #1 encodes the data without a problem. Machine #2 will not "load" (or read) the data that machine #1 does. I have tried raising the various priorities without success.

Minion  2003-01-20 00:26:23 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If your files are Encoded useing the Pinnacle Proprietary DV Codec then that could be why you are haveing problems, it seems the Pinnacle AVI files can only be decoded By Pinnacle software this Is why Pinnacle Sucks the Big one..I have Probably a Dozzen Different Pinnacle Programs and Have allways Had problem with avi Files encoded With the Pinnacle Codecs..

Lensman  2003-01-20 01:37:46 ( ID:zncah4e9xyc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Well, that still does not answer my question.

Both machines have identical Studio 8 environments. Both machines have identical codecs. (Or so I believe) I just completed running 10 x 1.5 hours of Studio generated MPG's through TMPGENC. These processed on one machine and not the other.

The files pre-encoding or post encoding were playable on BOTH machines. TMPGENC was unable to open it on one of my two machines. This of course prevented the machine from being used to encode the items.

TMPGENC reduced the filesizes from 3.94GB to roughly 1.1GB in size.

If I knew why TMPGENC worked on one machine and not the other, I could increase my productivity by using both machines!

Minion  2003-01-20 02:29:19 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I allready stated that Haveing the same exact set up on Both computers doesn"t mean that both computers will run exactly the same..There are so many factors that can cause one thing to work on one machine and not the other even if both machines are the same...There are allways ways to get around problem with Tmpgenc not Loading Files ..I allready told you how to do it if you are trying to encode a Mpeg2 file to Mpeg1 or 2 with Tmpgenc By useing DVD2AVI to frame serve the Mpeg2 file to Tmpgenc...If you want to Load an AVI File into Tmpgenc and can not get it to load you can allways try to Frame serve the AVI to tmpgenc with AVISynth or Virtual dub .....

Lensman  2003-01-20 19:15:35 ( ID:dqg7qlwgz3c )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks I guess for your attempts at answering my questions.

I disagree that "so many variables" exist that prevent the program from loading your file. Given the fact my environments are the same, a check by the programmer of his source code should reveal what the source of the message is. I.E. a specific set of circumstances exist that generate the message. Given those conditions a resonable check can be performed. (I am a programmer by profession)

My question still stands. Based upon other messages it seems that I am not the only one having this issue!

Sty  2003-01-27 01:58:19 ( ID:k6hgy9s1hlj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

.... and for sure you aren't, not quite the same but a very similar problem, I reinstalled the os on my machine with all the codec's but ther is a diffrent in Os now I am running XP SP1 it works before (loading mpeg2 or m2v files into tmpeg 2.59) now .....or unsupported...

and the answer ... then do it another way, is quite no answer ...

so maybe someone can solve this problem, I'm up with it after 5h of unsucssesfully try and error.

Free talk - CQ_VBR vs Bitrate Tests No.33671
sndtek  2003-01-19 01:37:42 ( ID:rajsqph3.yw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

FYI to anyone interested in some tests I've been running...

I just completed a 50 part test (I'm glad TMPG has batch mode) to see the effect on quality and file size by varying CQ_VBR & bitrate.

Source is an excelent quality 2.33 minute low-to-high action 640 x 272 DivX clip. I started with a target of CVD (352 x 480),CQ_VBR 50, 5kbs max, 0kbs min. I lowered the max bitrate in 1kbs steps from 5kbs to 1kbs. Then I repeated the process for for CQ_VBR 40 to 10 in steps of 10. Then I did the whole thing again but for SVCD size (480 x 480). This gave me 50 clips that were viewed on an Apex 1100W with 36" 4:3 TV and ranked by a few people visually over several nights.

Anyway, the conclusions are surprising: The highest CQ_VBR & bitrate don't always give the best quality; It appears that as CQ_VBR goes down so does file size but this effect is not linear; As bitrate is varied from 5kbs to 1kbs the file size actually increases up to a point (based on the CQ_VBR) then it starts to fall off again.

Any comments or suggestion are welcome.

Question - Cant load P3package.dll...? No.33664
Mike Hawk  2003-01-19 01:23:16 ( ID:kuj8vqixv4f )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

When I try to "Start" encoding this is the message I get with every file. Can someone tell me what this means and how to fix? Thanks.

Mike Hawk  2003-01-19 01:38:41 ( ID:kuj8vqixv4f )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Ignore previous. Found answer.

Homerfan  2003-01-19 17:08:28 ( ID:eop6apwwzkc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

How did you fix? I am having the same problem!
Any help is greatly appreciated :)

lupy  2003-01-19 17:33:43 ( ID:o10nietw26a )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

why don't u search through the forum for an answer....?

Homerfan  2003-01-19 18:00:56 ( ID:eop6apwwzkc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I did, and this is the post I found.

Minion  2003-01-19 22:22:43 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I"m sure you Will find a LOT more of the same Question if you realy look...

Homerfan  2003-01-20 02:59:18 ( ID:eop6apwwzkc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Found it...Thank you!

Question - error : 'Invalid pointer operation' No.33663
MR. kim  2003-01-18 23:35:09 ( ID:eyusjmhfcdj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

i have a error message when i click the start button for make mpeg file.
i dont know about this problem. pleas help me.....

Question - ACM error No.33661
Kobesan  2003-01-18 21:47:39 ( ID:mkyklv/5yd2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I was trying to convert an AVI file to SVCD mpg and when I start I keep getting this message. "The error occured when ACM was initialized" - any help would be appreciated.

Minion  2003-01-18 22:38:50 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The ACM is the "Audio Compression Manager" so it Could mean that there is something wrong with the Audio in the AVI file or it is of a Format that Tmpgenc Can not Decode..Try useing "Virtual Dub" to extract the audio from the AVI to a WAV file, then use the WAV file as the audio source..this will Hopefully Solve your Problem..

Question - recording multiple chapters... No.33659
chillydog  2003-01-18 20:32:24 ( ID:4krvoczibz. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

i'm trying to burn a cd-r copy of a dvd that has 4 'episodes' of a show. when i convert the .iso it's only creating one mpg file for the first 'episode'. how do i get it to copy all 4?

Minion  2003-01-18 22:36:10 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You Are Probably Not Doing the Proscess Properly, The Correct Way to Copy a DVD to VCD/SVCD with Tmpgenc is to first use something like "Smart Ripper" to Rip the "VOB" Files off the DVD, then use DVD2AVI to extract the Proper Audio Track and decode it to a WAV file and Make a D2V frame server file that Links it to the Video part of the DVD..then You load the "d2v" file from DVD2AVI into Tmpgenc as the Video and Load the Wav file in as the audio then Encode it to VCD/SVCD..This Method is Generally a Flawless, easy and Fast way or Copying a DVD to VCD/SVCD..and it is the Best way to do it with Tmpgenc...

Question - MPEG4 (AVI) problem No.33656
nextyoyoma  2003-01-18 20:05:29 ( ID:lzknh0i8uwl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

"could not open or unsupported" When I try to open MPEG-4 files with the extension .avi. I know they are mpeg4, I ran a prog to check the codec. I read here that these are divx files, but I have other files that are definitely divx, and they open fine. What decoder do I need to get to decode mpeg-4?

Minion  2003-01-18 22:30:35 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Mpeg-4 is AVI and DivX is a type of Mpeg-4, you Probably just need to raise the Priority of the "Direct show file reader" ,Go to "options" to "enviromental Settings" to "Vfapi Plugins" and raise the Direct show" to "2"...

nextyoyoma  2003-01-18 22:57:10 ( ID:lzknh0i8uwl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

thanks, that worked.

Question - Best encoding results No.33648
poohmanchu  2003-01-18 19:56:07 ( ID:tpgvmuehfh6 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Which would yeild the best results for the least amount of time? A higher Constant Bit Rate, or Constant Quality (set to 100) with an assumed lower bit rate?

Minion  2003-01-18 22:25:29 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I personally Get Better results useing the "CQ" method with the Quality between 65-85...

poohmanchu  2003-01-19 02:47:16 ( ID:tpgvmuehfh6 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

So saying that, would you get better quality if you set quality at 100? I've been using the template wizzard and noticed that when encoding a SVCD, max bitrate for CQ is only about 2520kbs and max bitrate for contstant bit rate is only about 100-200 less so any opinoin on which would be better.?

Minion  2003-01-19 03:02:57 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You can change the Bitrate to What ever you want, even to 10,000kbs if you wanted..You have to load the "Unlock.mcf" template from the "Extra" folder to unlock the settings, But yes you Could Possibly achieve slightly Better Quality with the Quality at 100, But the File size would go Up a lot more than the Quality would go up , and the Bitrate would be closer to a CBR Stream than a VBR stream which sort of defeats the Purpose of useing the CQ Method...

poohmanchu  2003-01-19 05:57:24 ( ID:tpgvmuehfh6 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks for the reply. I'm encoding some SVCD's that are about 37 minutes long and want to extract the max quality to put onto the SVCD. According to what you've told me and what i've learned so far is that a CQ of 100 gets the same result as CBR if (CQ max bit rate)=(Cbr)?

Minion  2003-01-19 09:24:03 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Well you might get a Bit smaller file size useing CQ on 100..The Problem with CBR is it uses the same bitrate for the Whole Movie were most of the scenes in the movie will need a Lot less Bitrate to achieve the same Quality..I usually Use CCE to encode Mpeg2 Cuz it Uses the Bitrate Extremely efficiently, so I can get Close to an hour of SVCD on a Disk with the same or better Quality as files useing a Much Higher bitrate encoded by Tmpgenc, and in less than half the time But it is much harder to use than Tmpgenc....

Reinhard  2003-01-19 22:15:54 ( ID:tq0ukb8.xgj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I tried to encode an avi file with a lot of horizontal panning.
Using CBR or CQ produced a stuttering picture, horrible to look at. Beside this the quality (sharpness ) was good.
It was then all o.k. using the wizard in TMPGEnc 2.59 and choosing VBR and following the wizard's suggestions. The program took quite a time to analyze my complete avi video clip, but it was worth to wait for, as the result was really great at the end. I want to add that I prefer Nero burning Rom for producing SVCD, as Win on CD always cuts some seconds off at the beginning of the video.

This was my little bit concerning TMPGEnc and best settings for quality.
If you think you don't have time to wait the best thing is to buy a faster computer!
Reinhard

Minion  2003-01-19 22:21:18 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The Stuttering you are Getting on the Horizontal Panning Has Nothing to do with the Encodeing method But it has to do with The Field order...When encodeing Interlaced Video you have to have the Correct Field order set or you will Get a Bad stuttering effect while the is Motion or Panning....

Question - No audio...ever No.33645
Tom  2003-01-18 18:39:19 ( ID:1ocirglk1hm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have tried numerous conversions (from .avi to .mpeg1 and 2)and I get no audio. My stand alone dvd player and windvd will both play vcd's and svcd's. I have uninstalled and re-installed the program twice and still no audio, but the video is fine. Am I missing something or am I just an idiot? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom  2003-01-18 19:10:31 ( ID:1ocirglk1hm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Just found out about having to make a wav file first...is this the case always? Thanks.

Minion  2003-01-18 22:23:22 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

This is Only the case If you do not have the correct Combination of filters and codecs installed, and even then it doesn"t allways work...The audio in your AVI file is Probably AC3 which Tmpgenc can not decode By its self, it needs a Direct Show AC3 Decoder/Filter installed..Only a Limited Number of poeple have successfully decoded AC3 audio with Tmpgenc..I have had Minor success at decodeing AC3 audio after installing the "Tsunami Filter/Codec Pack" Maybe you can give it a Try...

Bug report - windows 2000 ntdll.dll error No.33642
War Lord  2003-01-18 16:59:15 ( ID:momqdzyeghf )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I think there's a bug when running tmpgenc in windows 2000
sometimes when i try to encode a movie and try to open a movie(in the wizard and also without the wizard) it says that there is an write error with ntdll.dll in windows 98 i DON't have this problem,downloaded the ntdll.dll file from a website replaced it with the old one but still got the same problem

KennyC  2003-01-18 19:35:29 ( ID:umxici6kwkf )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi,

This works when I'm using Windows XP, not sure about Windows 9x/Me.

Launch Tmpgenc and goto "Option->Environmental Setting->VFAPI Plugin" and raise the "DirectShow MultiMedia" priority by right-click on that line, then select "Higher Priority", mine is set to "1".

Just incase, you may have to goto the TMPGenc directory and rename the [b]CurrentCfg.tpr[/b] file to say CurrentCfg.tpr.bak, or delete it.

Cheerz

LEUR$i0  Home )  2003-01-26 21:03:14 ( ID:czeod1ynfxm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Look for the reply I gave in another thread.
http://bbs.pegasys-inc.com/bbscgi/ebbs/board.cgi?board=tmpgenc&cmd=topic&wparam=19764

Question - No video but audio present No.33639
CrankyHoney  2003-01-18 16:07:43 ( ID:q.hgn1ebcaa )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hello all,

I'm using TMPG Enc to convert from AVI to VCD. I Loaded the video CD NTSC template and everything is running smoothly. When I burn the new Mpeg-1 file on the cd and try to watch it, I only get the sound on the computer and the cd is not recognized in the DVD player. I do know for a fact that my DVD reads VCD where I have played them before.

Thanks for the help!

Minion  2003-01-18 22:17:01 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Seeing as you have Done this before you Know that you should watch the Mpeg file before you Burn it to Disk so you can be sure that everything has Gone OK...Right?? WHAT You didn"t watch the Mpeg file before you Burned it to Disk?? A Big No No...There will Usually Be an image in the Mpeg file if you can see the Frames go By in the Tmpgenc screen while Tmpgenc is encodeing the AVI File to mpeg...and if there is NO image then to fix it you should go to "Options" to "Enviromental Settings" to "Vfapi Plugins" and Raise the "Direct Show Multi-media File Reader" to "2"...this should fix your Problem ,Unless you don"t have the proper codec installed....

juggalofolife84  2003-01-22 01:00:45 ( ID:3uzr28l/b2w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

minion what is the correct vfapi plug in to be installed and how do you install it?

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.