TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 33 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Classify Title User name Reply Last update
Question Making my mpeg2 smaller Monkey 2 2005-02-16 18:54:43
Question error message KED 1 2005-02-16 09:00:55
Question Settings are ignored paracelsus 12 2005-02-17 02:03:48
Question Avi file cant open or unsupported...possible solution kasper 5 2005-02-17 22:40:47
Question Error Message suzieqsuz 1 2005-02-14 22:46:21
Question This is nice Monkey 1 2005-02-12 10:16:16
Question why does does some Avi files become much larger? mike 6 2005-02-14 09:28:10
Question How Strange... pumpking 0 2005-02-11 05:28:30
Question No Video BigBen 2 2006-05-27 10:30:48
Question Help file? mmm 3 2005-02-12 10:22:44
Question "Can not open, or unsupported" part II erik 18 2005-02-28 16:25:55
Question Split MPG File and Quality docsms 1 2005-02-06 23:18:12

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 33 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Question - Making my mpeg2 smaller No.42877
Monkey  2005-02-15 08:23:54 ( ID:0jqiljuienm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

i tried to encode my avi file, DivX 3 Low-Motion. The original avi file was 178Mb, but when i encode it to mpeg2 it turned to 1.4Gb. My settings were ;

size : 720 x 480 pixels
aspect ration : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps (internally 29.97fps)
Rate control mode : 2-pass VBR (VBR)
Average bitrate : 2500 kits/sec
Max bitrate : 9000 kits/sec
Mini bitrate : 0 kits/sec
Max pass : 2 pass (old types)

Encode mode : 3:2 pulldown when playback
YUV formant: 4:2:0

Are there anyway that i can make the encoding smaller?? around 700Mb?? i dont mind losing the qulity... Can nice kind person tell me what settings should i but in...

*Cheers

ashy  2005-02-16 09:00:29 ( ID:k9h6gdv/wof )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Forget about the size of the AVI, it's irrelevent.
How long is it?
As far as I can see for an AVI which is of only 178MB it must be low quality. Your MPEG settings are way too high. Why 9000Kb/s. That's just too high for a low quality source.

Create a SVCD and drop your max bitrate right down, however I can't help you any further with settings until I now the stats of the AVI.

Monkey  2005-02-16 18:54:43 ( ID:e1pitlbdvng )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

nah the video is only 23mins lng... i think i found out why..somehow i have 40mins of blank space... why is that???

Question - error message No.42875
KED  2005-02-15 05:07:51 ( ID:wwluptk.arh )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

HI, I get a "" Can't load "p3package.dll"" message when i click start when encoding. What's this mean? Thanx in advance.

ashy  2005-02-16 09:00:55 ( ID:k9h6gdv/wof )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Answered.

Question - Settings are ignored No.42862
paracelsus  2005-02-14 16:38:23 ( ID:nage4qirlgm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi board,

recently I muxed A/V-streams with TMPGEnc's "Multiplexer"-MPEG-Tool (where I can change no quality settings) and received a file of size 4.656.325 KB. I noticed that this was only 48.325 KB too large to be burned on a data DVD and thus planned to remux it (had already deleted the original stream files) with a little lower quality. So, I demuxed the file and made several attempts with TMPGEnc (now the usual project window where I hoped to be able to change settings). The following is what I tried:

Version: 2.521.58.169
CQ 65, min 2000, max 8000
CQ 65, min 2000, max 6000
CQ 50, min 2000, max 6000
2Pass-VBR, avr 4780, min 2000, max 6000
CBR, 4300

Version 2.524.63.181
CQ 100, min 2000, max 5500

Now, guess what. ALL of the above settings resulted in a file of exactly 4.656.325 KB in size!

This leads me to the conclusion, that the settings I changed are simply ignored. I can not believe that just by accident all the different settings and even methods (CQ, VBR, CBR) lead to exactly the same file size.

Any hints on why this might happen?

Best regards

Rolf

ashy  2005-02-14 23:07:49 ( ID:k9h6gdv/wof )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What is it MPEG1 or MPEG2?
What do you mean 4.325 KB too large?
Do you mean 48,325 KB (48MB)?
48.325 is less than a megabyte.

Also you've got me confused, or yourself, with this muxing and demuxing business.

Do you mean you planned to re-encode the file with a lower bitrate? You can't remux an MPEG with a lower bitrate.

Also this statement has me confused:
>So, I demuxed the file and made several attempts with TMPGEnc (now the usual >project window where I hoped to be able to change settings).

Demuxed what? The MPEG? Why did you demux it, to do what with it, re-encode it?

If I'm right in thinking your MPEG was only 48MB too big then why didn't you just re-encode the audio to a lower bitrate then re-multiplex with the video?

If it still was too large then trim a little from the end with the MPEG tools.

paracelsus  2005-02-15 00:39:04 ( ID:nage4qirlgm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

>What is it MPEG1 or MPEG2?

It is MPEG2.

>What do you mean 4.325 KB too large?
>Do you mean 48,325 KB (48MB)?
>48.325 is less than a megabyte.

In my original post I can still read "48.325 KB too large" which is what I'm talking about.

>Do you mean you planned to re-encode the file with a lower bitrate? You can't remux an MPEG with a lower bitrate.

You are right, sorry, I intermixed the expressions. To lower the file size of course I tried to reencode.

>Demuxed what? The MPEG? Why did you demux it, to do what with it, re-encode it?

I demuxed the MPEG-file to get separate A/V-stream-files again and to reencode them.

>If I'm right in thinking your MPEG was only 48MB too big then why didn't you just re-encode the audio to a lower bitrate then re-multiplex with the video?

Well, to be honest this opportunity didn't come to me. But anyhow, why - with a file of appr. 4,5GB which is only about 48MB too big should I severely drop audio-quality throughout the whole movie? And - on the other hand - I would have used TMPGEnc as well to reencode audio. Would my change of settings work in this case where it did have no effect on the video stream?

>If it still was too large then trim a little from the end with the MPEG tools.

I can not trim any second from the movie because the original show already has been cut from commercials and ends with the last frame of the show.

Of course I can use other tools to reencode the MPEG to a lower bitrate to fit it on a DVD. But my questions remains: How can it be that arbitrary settings in encoding with TMPGEnc always lead to exactly the same file size (of course I did not enable padding).

Thanks for your interest in my problem

Rolf

ashy  2005-02-15 16:49:08 ( ID:k9h6gdv/wof )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

>In my original post I can still read "48.325 KB too large" which is what I'm >talking about.

Hang on, so let me get this straight. You're actually saying the file is only 48.323KB too large or to round it up 49KB which is 1/20th of a megabyte?

Do you realise how small that actually is?

>But anyhow, why - with a file of appr. 4,5GB which is only about 48MB too big >should I severely drop audio-quality throughout the whole movie?

Now your saying the file is 48MB in contradiction to your above statement.
Also what makes you think you will need to severely drop the audio quality. It all depends on the bitrate you are using in the first place. I regularly drop the audio bitrate down to 128Kb/s without any noticible loss in quality if I have to.

>Of course I can use other tools to reencode the MPEG to a lower bitrate to >fit it on a DVD. But my questions remains: How can it be that arbitrary >settings in encoding with TMPGEnc always lead to exactly the same file size
>(of course I did not enable padding).

What does the project wizard say the output file size will be?
Please list the settings you are using.

paracelsus  2005-02-15 18:45:44 ( ID:epaebkz4gxl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi Ashy,

I did not notice the different decimal sign (like you indicated in the first place). O.k., now it's clear to me too :-) The file is 48,325KB too big.

>Also what makes you think you will need to severely drop the audio quality. It all depends on the bitrate you are using in the first place. I regularly drop the audio bitrate down to 128Kb/s without any noticible loss in quality if I have to.

The original audio-stream-file (mpa) is encoded with 384kbs and I would not like to go down to 128kbs.

>What does the project wizard say the output file size will be?
>Please list the settings you are using.

Well, I can not use the wizard because there the mpa- and m2v-file are not accepted ("Invalid video/audio source"). Whereas when I use simply the main window I can load the files as Video- and Audio-source. I choose an output-file and to create a system-stream. Then I loaded the DVD(PAL)-setting and changed CQ-values, encoding-methods and bitrates there (according to my first post) but left anything other unchanged from default.

Regards
Rolf

ashy  2005-02-16 09:12:00 ( ID:k9h6gdv/wof )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

>The original audio-stream-file (mpa) is encoded with 384kbs and I would not like to go down to 128kbs.

What is it 2 channel MPEG audio or AC3?
If it's 2 channel MPEG then there is little point in it being 384Kb/s. If it's been dowmixed to 2 channel Dolby pro logic then this only requires a bitrate of 192Kb/s. There will be no loss in quality.

>Well, I can not use the wizard because there the mpa- and m2v-file are not accepted ("Invalid video/audio source"). Whereas when I use simply the main window I can load the files as Video- and Audio-source. I choose an output-file and to create a system-stream. Then I loaded the DVD(PAL)-setting and changed CQ-values, encoding-methods and bitrates there (according to my first post) but left anything other unchanged from default.

Your saying the exact same files won't be accepted in the wizard yet they will in the main window?
Which one, video or audio or both?
Where did you obtain these files from?

paracelsus  2005-02-16 17:33:07 ( ID:nage4qirlgm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

>What is it 2 channel MPEG audio or AC3?
>If it's 2 channel MPEG then there is little point in it being 384Kb/s. If it's been dowmixed to 2 channel Dolby pro logic then this only requires a bitrate of 192Kb/s. There will be no loss in quality.

It is 2 channel MPEG. Reducing from 384kbs to 192kbs would result in appr. 180MB less file size, going down to 128kbs would free 240MB. So - if quality is still o.k. - in this particular case it would work out this way. But in general I of course would like to use the encoding possibilities of TMPGEnc :-)

>Your saying the exact same files won't be accepted in the wizard yet they will in the main window?

Yes, this is what I'm experiencing.

>Which one, video or audio or both?
I can describe exactly what happens. In Project Wizard I choose "DVD PAL"-Format with CBR MP2 Audio-encoding. Now when on the next page I browse for the m2v-file I receive the message "Invalid video source", when I browse for the mpa-file I get "Invalid audio source". When I try to drag-n-drop the video file to the applet I get "File '...' can not open, or unsupported", when I drag the audio file I get "The order number 12 was not found in DLL 'mcmpgdec.dll'" and after that "Invalid audio source" again. Whereas with browsing the "Invalid"-messages come up at once with dragging it takes up to 10secs before the messages appear.

>Where did you obtain these files from?
Originally A/V-files had been demuxed from a dvr-ms-file with XMuxer. I edited them and tried to reencode and remux with TMPGEnc. When I noticed that the resulting mpeg-file was too big I demuxed it with TMPGEnc. This led to the A/V-files I'm experimenting with currently.

Regards
Rolf

paracelsus  2005-02-16 18:59:33 ( ID:nage4qirlgm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Btw, one addendum:

I now tried to encode with default video settings (CQ65, min2000, max 8000) and with audio bitrate set to 192kbs. Result: Exactly as before, so this setting had no effect too.

It seems to me as if no encoding takes place at all but simple muxing of the m2v/mpa-files.

Regards
Rolf

ashy  2005-02-16 20:49:04 ( ID:k9h6gdv/wof )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hmm... how long does it actually take to encode the file and how are you actually trying to encode it?
Please put your steps here.

paracelsus  2005-02-16 21:04:27 ( ID:nage4qirlgm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

O.k., I try to be as exact as possible in my steps.

First, I have the two A/V-files (movie.m2v and movie.mpa).

I open TMPGEnc and in the main window browse for the video- and then for the audio-file. I select an output-filename (movie.mpg). I leave Stream type set to System (Video+Audio). Then I load the DVD(PAL)mcf-template. I open settings where I leave everything unchanged but under the "Video"-tab the Rate control mode: There I change CQ-value and Maxium/Minimum-Bitrate. Only in my last attempt I changed audio bitrate as well.

The (unchanged) video settings are:

Stream type = MPEG-2 Video
Size = 720x576
Aspect ratio = 4:3 Display
Frame rate = 25fps
VBV buffer size = 224
Profile & Level = MP@ML
Video format = PAL
Encode mode = Interlace
YUV format = 4:2:0
DC component precision = 9bits
Motion search precision = Motion estimate search

I close the settings dialogue and press "Start". Encoding takes about 15-20 min. During processing I can see no status bar and only the value of "Elapsed time" is changing, "Remaing time" and "Source position" remain unchanged as 00:00:00.

Afterwards I get the movie.mpg-file with always exactly the same size.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Rolf

ashy  2005-02-16 22:57:10 ( ID:k9h6gdv/wof )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Your problem is as you have diagnosed. TMPG is NOT encoding.
It would take much longer. You would also be able to see the encoding taking place in the preview.

I have seen this before.
TMPG cannot decode neither your video nor your audio files, so it is simply re-muxing the 2 together. This is why you cannot load them into the wizard and hence why the file size is always the same, you've just made an exact copy...LOL.

You will need to install an MPEG2 codec to decode the MPEG and also I think that your audio is incompatible or it is infact AC3.
Either way you will need to convert it to a wav first or simply encode the video portion only and then just mux the audio with the video after encoding. There is little point in re-encoding the audio anyway if it is the right format already.

The MPEG2 codec below should be suitable for decoding your MPEG2 file.
http://www.marumo.ne.jp/mpeg2/m2v_vfp-0.6.51.lzh

This should allow you to load your file into the project wizard and begin re-encoding the file instead of just muxing it.

paracelsus  2005-02-16 23:45:20 ( ID:nage4qirlgm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

O.k., this makes it a little bit clearer to me.

Well, during searching this board I already had installed the m2v-vfp-0.6.51-Plugin and raised it's priority to 6, one time I even unchecked all other plugins. Up to now this had no effect on TMPGEnc's behaviour.

I think I will try to install some other mpeg2-codecs. At least I can easily check out via the project wizard if TMPGEnc is able to decode my A/V-files.

But one question related: Of course I can play back the m2v- and mpa-files on my computer, so I think there must be some codecs that are installed already and used by e.g. Windows Mediaplayer. But obviously TMPGEnc can not use these codecs. Do they have to support VFAPI? This might be a dead end because the original encoding was done as dvr-ms (Microsoft) which uses mpeg2-encoding as well but is proprietary nearly for sure...

Regards
Rolf

paracelsus  2005-02-17 02:03:48 ( ID:nage4qirlgm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Now, I think the problem is solved.

Firstly I used a MS tool (Video Decoder Checkup Utility) which shows you all registered video decoders and encoders on your XP-system. It also can define one of them as preferred for the OS. None was marked as preferred and I choose Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder since this one is registered to VFAPI in TMPGEnc too.

Next I set priority of Cyberlink MPEG Decoder in the VFAPI-settings to +2.

I'm not sure if the first step was necessary but anyhow - I'm glad with it. Now I'm doing my first testing on REALLY encoding with TMPGEnc :-)

Many thanks four your helpo ashy and so long

Regards
Rolf

Question - Avi file cant open or unsupported...possible solution No.42856
kasper  2005-02-14 14:24:36 ( ID:xf0dq5bmyma )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I changed computers and was getting the "avi file can't open or file type unsupported" message on the new computer. I had tried every tip I could find on here to no avail. Then I stumbled across this article and followed the steps, and the problem was solved! Now all of my avi files are opening with no problem. Anyway, just wanted to share in case it could help someone else!
(The article refers to Windows Media Player, but fixed my problem for both MP and TMPGenc)
http://msmvps.com/chrisl/articles/10453.aspx

ashy  2005-02-14 22:48:22 ( ID:k9h6gdv/wof )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

So what did you actually do that hasn't already been mentioned before on this board?

mavo  2005-02-14 23:33:40 ( ID:uvuv//91q3a )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

In spite of playing with priorities, I am also unable to open two avi videos (divx) that play perfectly in windows media player. I get the usual mesage "cannot open or unsupported"...

So would anyone be so kind as to give detailled hints to solve the problem? Thanks.

mavo  2005-02-15 22:22:56 ( ID:miw5hrlrker )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Just to give some feedback:

I resolved the issue by installing ffdshow AND by playing with priority settings.
Of course, since I had never heard of ffdshow before, I didn't know how to search for it. So I only found this solution by chance AND reading about it here THEREAFTER.

ashy  2005-02-16 09:17:23 ( ID:k9h6gdv/wof )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Typing "cannot open or unsupported" would have got you the answer a 1000 times over.

kasper  2005-02-17 22:40:47 ( ID:xf0dq5bmyma )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I had installed ffdshow and divx codec and it still wasn't working, changed priority settings, etc. It was the Gspot codec software that helped me by telling me exactly what codec I needed installed.

Question - Error Message No.42854
suzieqsuz  2005-02-14 04:02:29 ( ID:.m9j40lpryl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I am trying to convert an avi to a dvd NTSC 704x480. I notice that when I populate the video file line, it doesn't populate the audio line automatically like it does for all the other files. When I try to add it manually, it won't let me. When I try to do any conversion, either ES or System video/audio, it gives me an error message of "Indes of scan line is out of range (352)". I looked in the properties of the file and it lists the following information.
Audio: Bit rate - 128kbps, Audio sample size - 16 bit, Audio format - MPEG Layer - 3
Video: Frame rate - 25 frames/second, Data rate - 144kbps, Video sample size - 24 bit, Video compression - XVID.
Is there anyone who can help me with this file? Please let me know ASAP. Thank you.
Suzie

ashy  2005-02-14 22:46:21 ( ID:k9h6gdv/wof )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Install the Radium MP3 codec and all should be fine http://mst3k.booyaka.com/video/tools/ra-codec12.zip

Question - This is nice No.42852
Monkey  2005-02-12 05:21:30 ( ID:ncrq3mzfwbg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I just have to say this i looked into some of the posts and i jsut have to say...

ashy u have been a great help... :D

ashy  2005-02-12 10:16:16 ( ID:xokv4ugpkyc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks..

Question - why does does some Avi files become much larger? No.42845
mike  2005-02-11 05:42:54 ( ID:7afwvon/pnw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

let say i have a avi file of 175 mb when i tried TMPGEnc it became around 650mb!!

I'm just wondering if there a solution to this .

LogixSR  2005-02-12 03:14:02 ( ID:dvufndgskew )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

well it all depends on what your converting too. if you are going from say xvid/divx to svcd mpeg-2 then it is more than likely going to be larger, that all depends on the video bitrate you encode with, for a standard length movie of say 1.5 hours i usually encode to svcd ntsc with a 2 pass vbr max2500 min600 letting my average estimate me around 1400 megs in size that way i can split it for 2 cds... theres alot of variables to your questions and you left out about 98% of them in your question so I or anyone else could go on forever trying to answer it but the video bitrate is the key.

mike  2005-02-12 06:16:06 ( ID:7afwvon/pnw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

i c i tried converting avi files into vcd ntsc most of the time itfime; but there are avi file(s) that un expectedly ballons to large than i thought. any input on this ?

wickedpygmy  2005-02-12 21:12:57 ( ID:5zujw0ub3q. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I am also having this problem. With certain avi files, encoding will take between 3 to 10 times longer than it should, and the resulting file will be 3 to 10 times larger. The resulting mpeg video file is fine, but with an enormous amount of garbage data padded onto the end.

My only current solution: Stop the encoding session when the "source position: xx:xx:xx" reaches the end of the file. Then trim off any garbage from the end using "Merge & Cut".

Anyone have a more permanent solution or maybe a reason?
The file I am trying to encode is recent Xvid, MP3 audio 48000Hz, 624 x 352. This happens regardless of the MPEG format I aim for (i.e. VCD, SVCD, KVCD)

Monkey  2005-02-13 07:20:55 ( ID:sbhfyrjh15n )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

yea... i have similiar probs... i encoded something 170Mb with 720x480 ratio and high quility and ended up 1.4Gb... how can i make it smaller.... can u plz tell me what i should put in the settings to make it at least 700MB if it's not causing too many problems.... i know the quility may go down.. but i dont knwot he settings...

anon  2005-02-14 07:15:54 ( ID:u198noib80h )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Its been awhile using tmpgenc, Try to use the source range thing. Select your start and end frame rate. I think the reason with all that padding, blank video at the end is either the video or audio problem.

Monkey  2005-02-14 09:28:10 ( ID:0jqiljuienm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

?? and much person's answer does that aply?? blank spaces?? what are u on abt???

Question - How Strange... No.42844
pumpking  2005-02-11 05:28:30 ( ID:atrxzscshpf )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

How strange, 3 months ago i could open the .dat file with tmpg by using simple multiplexer in the MPEGtools. However, i don't know why when i try it again today i couldn't load it. It appears as Illegal MPEG video stream.
I was wondering if the program has a bug or something, and what should i do in order to solve the problem?

Question - No Video No.42841
BigBen  2005-02-10 18:45:40 ( ID:jis3efq6lr. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

When I convert an avi to mpeg, I end up with the audio and a black screen. What did I do wrong.

jimbus  2005-02-20 17:32:12 ( ID:mbuce3/w28r )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

This comes up quite often lately, but there doesn't seem to be a correct answer in any of the messages (I searched over 1255 messages). The answer involving moving the directshow priority is close, but it doesn't always work on all systems.
It should be added into the help file of TMPEG 2.5+ that this is a problem.

"When converting an avi to mpg, the mpg shows no video, but, has audio."

Here goes....

Open TMPEG, select the Option menu
Select Enviromental settings
Select the VFAPI tab
Move the DirectShow Multimedia file reader to the #2 priority position
Move the AVI VFW compatbility Reader to the LAST priority positiion.
(on some systems) move the BMP/PPM/TGA/JPG File Reader to the #1 position
Select the OK button
Quit TMPEG

If you are converting a DVIX avi, you will need to convert the avi audio from mp3 to pcm format, or add in an decent mp3 decoder to the TMPEG Audio engine in the enviromental option.

Now when you run TMPEG again you should be able to convert the avi to mpg with no more problems.

JFYI...
This happens alot with the Video Card Upgrades to the ATI and nVida cards. I guess it is due to the new copyright protection schemes included in all the new cards. (just a guess)
It happened to me a few weeks ago when I upgraded my Video card to an ATI 9800 all in wonder card. TMPEG was just fine with the default settings for years, when I upgraded the card TMPEG stopped working.

kevin  2006-05-27 10:30:48 ( ID:n0ks9p5hi8n )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Bump.
black screen, black image problem, no video, audio but no video, m2v black screen, mpeg black screen

Question - Help file? No.42837
mmm  2005-02-10 13:29:44 ( ID:jcql42bk4t6 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Where can I find a help file explaining the various features?

LogixSR  2005-02-12 03:15:35 ( ID:dvufndgskew )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

press F1

ashy  2005-02-12 10:21:19 ( ID:xokv4ugpkyc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You will need TMPGenc for that feature.
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/tmpgenc_basic_guide.cfm

ashy  2005-02-12 10:22:44 ( ID:xokv4ugpkyc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

>You will need TMPGenc for that feature.

Sorry that should read 'You will need TMPGenc Plus for that feature'

Question - "Can not open, or unsupported" part II No.42818
erik  2005-02-07 17:02:45 ( ID:2c7ans6hkpj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi! I have been searching this forum for answers to my question of 2005/01/30, without much luck. I have downloaded virtualDub 1.4c, and am now trying to get this to help me convert files to mpeg using TMPEGEnc. I would, of course, be very happy if this solves my problems, but what I still don't understand is this:
-Why will TMPGEnc not convert my .avi-files?
-Why will TMPGEnc not convert the same file it had already converted successfully once?

What I would like to know is what had happened in the five minutes between it converted the file once and refused to convert any files at all, and what needs to be done to get TMPGEnc to work it's magic like it the first time.

I have tried the following:
-Uninstalling (and re-installing) TMPGEnc.
-Installing FFDSHOW (and later on uninstalling it again).
-Uninstalling Media Player 9 (or whatever) ang going back to my old version.
-Converting several different .avi-files, all with the same result.

If anyone knows the answers to my problems, please reply. I have looked for a solution here (Hi, Ashy), but only got so much closer to a solution.

Thanks.

Erik

ashy  2005-02-07 23:10:41 ( ID:xokv4ugpkyc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I would re-install FFDSHOW first then go into the configuration settings and make sure that DIVX, XVID and any other MPEG4 decoding is enabled.
Next I would raise the priority of the 'Directshow file reader' to 2 in the TMPG VFAPI plugins and make sure it's top of the list.

If this doesn't work then there may be a problwm with your AVI's.

You could try VFW decoding by enabling XVID, DIVX, etc. in the VFW part of FFDSHOW and then making the 'VFW file reader' top priority in TMPG.

erik  2005-02-08 10:35:48 ( ID:2c7ans6hkpj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks! I'll try that. VirtualDub sort of solved my problems, though, except that I have to open the avi-files in VD, compress them, save them as a new (and different) avi, and then using TMPGEnc to convert the new avi-file. Also TMPGEnc is working extremely slowly now, indicating it will use over ten hrs to convert a 20 min video file. I'll let it finish it's current project before I try your soloution. It would be nice if it saves me the bother of having to use VD all together. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Erik.

erik  2005-02-08 10:44:37 ( ID:2c7ans6hkpj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Oh, well. The slowness of TMPGEnc was due to the highest quality setting. Saw the tip about using "high", and restarted the project, and it bumped decoding time down to about two hrs. Still not fast, but about five times better. Thanks again.

Erik

ashy  2005-02-08 17:51:10 ( ID:xokv4ugpkyc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If you have to resort to using Virtualdub, and I don't see why you would need to, you don't need to create another AVI.

That's just pointless and a waste of time and quality.
Just frame serve your AVI's to TMPG.

Load up the AVI into VD as normal then go to 'File' and start the 'Frame server'

Follow the on screen prompts to create the frame server file then load that into TMPG and encode as normal.

erik  2005-02-08 23:12:34 ( ID:2c7ans6hkpj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hey, that's pure gold. Saves me a lot of time and effort. Will try right away. Meanwhile, here is another problem that I encountered.
I now have the new compressed .avi's frim VirtualDub (which I apparently never needed to make). These look ok and have good sond quality. TMPGEnc accepts these files and convert them to .mpeg2's (using the super video disc PAL setting). These files, while still looking good, have no sound at all. The same thing happened when I used Nero to convert the .avi's to .mpeg's.
I am positive that both the original and the VD-treated .avi's have sound. So, what happened to the audio?

erik  2005-02-08 23:42:23 ( ID:2c7ans6hkpj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

OK, still have no idea why the audio disappeared, but a quick search on this forum helped me find AC3ACM, which seems to have fixed the problem.
However, even after re-installing FFDSHOW, TMPGEnc will not accept .avi's that have not been trough the VirtualDub. Will try the frame serving next. Right now I have enough files to work with that have already been trough the VD.
Once again, thanks a lot for all help, and sorry for asking too quick this time.

ashy  2005-02-10 00:41:41 ( ID:xokv4ugpkyc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Find out what the FourCC code is of then AVI's and post it here.

Monkey  2005-02-12 05:56:21 ( ID:ncrq3mzfwbg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

i'm sorry if this is a repeat question..but i really just what to know... for my virtual dub i dont have a frameclient... i tried to look on the net and stuff but i'm like lost... i downloaded AviSynth but it doesnt seem to work.

ashy  2005-02-12 10:14:41 ( ID:xokv4ugpkyc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Every Virtualdub has a frame server client.
Open you Vitualdub installation folder then run AUXSETUP.EXE next click the 'Install handler' button then 'OK' the rest of the boxes.

Run Virtualdub then load your AVI.
Click 'File' then 'Start frame server'
Now just follow the prompts.

What is you problem with AVISYNTH?

Monkey  2005-02-12 21:17:07 ( ID:ncrq3mzfwbg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

oh nvm abt avisynth but i got my programs working by using VFAPICodecV105

erik  2005-02-14 11:07:57 ( ID:2c7ans6hkpj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi! Back from a long weekend, and still cant open avi's without vd. How do I find out the forur CC code? I'll post them as soon as I find out what they are.
Erik

erik  2005-02-14 11:16:25 ( ID:2c7ans6hkpj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

And now, as I try to open some new .avi's i downloaded over the weekend, VirtualDub gives me this message: "Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'DX50' (unknown)

VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable."

Is there any simple solution to this problem? I just installed VD, and have FFdshow installed already.

Erik

erik  2005-02-14 11:29:34 ( ID:2c7ans6hkpj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

And there is more. When I'm trying to frameserve, I get the same message from TMPGEnc. "Can not open, or unsupported." How do I get frameserving to work?

Erik

ashy  2005-02-14 22:38:33 ( ID:k9h6gdv/wof )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'm sure I already mentioned this, but I suppose I'll do it again anyway.
Virtualdub requires VFW codecs, you will need to enable all DIVX and XVID decoding in the VFW part of FFDSHOW.

START>PROGRAMS>FFDSHOW>VFW CONFIGURATION>DECODER then make sure 'libavcodec' is enabled for all DIVX and XVID sources.

This will probably solve your TMPG problem too if you make the 'VFW reader' the highest priority in the VFAPI plugins.

erik  2005-02-15 19:51:49 ( ID:vjbzoofwt7o )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

It works!!!!

Without using VD or anything!!!

Thanks a lot, ashy!

Gonna be a long night in front of the tv tomorrow...

Erik

ashy  2005-02-16 09:14:59 ( ID:k9h6gdv/wof )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

No prob.

Big  2005-02-16 20:34:49 ( ID:skneo1l8ddr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

>I would re-install FFDSHOW first then go into the configuration settings and make sure that DIVX, XVID and any other MPEG4 decoding is enabled.
>Next I would raise the priority of the 'Directshow file reader' to 2 in the TMPG VFAPI plugins and make sure it's top of the list.
>
>If this doesn't work then there may be a problwm with your AVI's.
>
>You could try VFW decoding by enabling XVID, DIVX, etc. in the VFW part of FFDSHOW and then making the 'VFW file reader' top priority in TMPG.

Hi ashy, I've been reading yours and erik's posts. I'm afraid I have the same problem and I'm new to Movies and codec thing.

So my question is
1.What's FFDSHOW? Is it a CODEC pack, I have KLite Codec pack, would that do?
2.If it does, what extra config would I have to do to let TMPGEnc convert my AVIs to MPGs. (After all Windows Media Player can play the file)
3.Where is this "the priority of the 'Directshow file reader'". Is it is TMPGEnc? I'm using 2.5 by the way.

Well that's it. I would appreciate you answer.
Thanks
Big

axl_marius  2005-02-28 16:25:55 ( ID:jtdpugyrxqh )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

>Every Virtualdub has a frame server client.
>Open you Vitualdub installation folder then run AUXSETUP.EXE next click the 'Install handler' button then 'OK' the rest of the boxes.
>
>Run Virtualdub then load your AVI.
>Click 'File' then 'Start frame server'
>Now just follow the prompts.
>
>What is you problem with AVISYNTH?

Question - Split MPG File and Quality No.42816
docsms  2005-02-06 14:45:21 ( ID:bttbqb4nt82 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hello,

I have MPG file which if very big. I split it using MPEG tool and it works well.

My question is:

Does splitting MPEG file degrade the video quality?

Thank you for answer in advance.

MSS

ashy  2005-02-06 23:18:12 ( ID:xokv4ugpkyc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

No.

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.