TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 442 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Classify Title User name Reply Last update
Question open avi josh 1 2002-08-19 17:34:12
Question had sound not now bruce 2 2002-08-20 23:52:02
Question Took 11 hours just to encode 5 mins of AVI? geek 1 2002-08-22 10:03:17
Question Newbie Q Montage 2 2002-08-19 19:14:41
Request Add the possibility of more passes Abubu Aguli 5 2002-08-21 19:15:43
Question VCD (non-standard) john 3 2002-08-19 14:49:55
Question Pal jerkiness rocco 1 2002-08-19 23:58:12
Question frameserving with DVD2AVI into TMPGenc monster_t 1 2002-08-19 10:24:25
Question error -537403781 698704 simon 1 2002-08-19 23:54:21
Question error window with bunch of numbers hux 0 2002-08-19 02:53:12
Question why can't I burn an mpeg2?? jmorton10 1 2002-08-19 13:17:51
Question opening a d2v file Ollie 5 2002-08-19 18:20:00

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 442 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Question - open avi No.26789
josh  2002-08-19 15:12:48 ( ID:dxkxyvzgi3h )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

my avi files will not open it says can not open or is unsupported

Ardwyn  2002-08-19 17:34:12 ( ID:8yfrh0k0y/a )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I get a simular message after i've converted some video from my fuiji
finepix camara.
I converted it to mpeg2 on pal and now it wont read or be burnt for a dvd
video

Any ideas

Question - had sound not now No.26786
bruce  2002-08-19 13:46:14 ( ID:ojeqhjjuna. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

hello,
i have been using this program from sometime now,i have converted about 60 movies and have had no problem with the sound.now for no reason there is no sound when i convert.i even tried to convert a movie that i did once before that had sound .now it does not have sound...please help...i have never converted to wav before.it always worked before.

Minion  2002-08-19 23:13:54 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Well if you never had to extract the audio to wav then you have been lucky ,Untill now, I know the earlier versions seemed to be compatible with more audio formats, but It is the only solution that there is for audio that doesn"t encode......

GorillaPalmz  2002-08-20 23:52:02 ( ID:kh9w/5b68i. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

go to your sound properties and make sure the correct recording input is selected. on windows, open up the play control dialog (usually the speaker icon in your system tray), go to options -> properties, click the recording radio button, then ok. the play control dialog changes to the record dialog. from here make sure you have the right input selected (usually line-in if you have a capture card like i do), hope that helps...

Question - Took 11 hours just to encode 5 mins of AVI? No.26784
geek  2002-08-19 13:19:03 ( ID:aqthpebepll )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi,

I tried to encode an AVI file but it's taking way too long. For just 5 mins of it (only 11%), 11 hours have elapsed and the indicator shows that 83 more hours are required to complete the encoding!

I have encoded other AVIs with no problems - this is the only one giving me problems. Most likely it's because of the source file. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong/different with this particular AVI?

Thanks and regards,
GeeK

ffast  2002-08-22 10:03:17 ( ID:bziuu02jpsm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

There are few things I can think of.

1. The AVI is corrupted.
2. The AVI is divx or something but you have not installed proper codec.
3. Both 1 and 2.

If you got the file from somewhere and do not know the file format in detail
it is hard to solve the problem.

Question - Newbie Q No.26781
Montage  2002-08-19 11:49:44 ( ID:vc2zbm24icr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I had some extremely newbie questions for anyone willing to help.

I just wanted to convert some avis to mpegs so I can watch them on my dvd/vcd player (was planning to burn them in Nero).

1) interlace or non-interlace?
2) aspect ratio at default 1:1 (VGA)
3) do I need to change source range, clip frame or noise reduction, or leave them unchecked?

Anything else I should know.

Thanks!

Steve  2002-08-19 18:27:54 ( ID:wx1rs1lbck6 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Montage,

Try this link
http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/dvd2vcd_with_smart_dvd2avi_tmpgenc.cfm?wide=true

The website is called afterdawn.com and it shows you in exact details on how to use the software including TMPGEnc.

Montage  2002-08-19 19:14:41 ( ID:vc2zbm24icr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Sweet, thanks alot. I'm checking it out right now.

Request - Add the possibility of more passes No.26775
Abubu Aguli  2002-08-19 10:25:46 ( ID:ceso8j9ek8a )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Add the possibility of more than two passes in Tmpgenc.

Minion  2002-08-19 10:30:50 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I don"t really know why, the 2-pass vbr doesn"t seem any better than the CQ so why would 3 or 4 passes make any differance, if you want multi-pass use CCE....

Nico...  Home )  2002-08-19 19:38:25 ( ID:t/w4sqkslyw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I agree with you Minion... CQ is already enough for most people... I don't like 2 (or more) pass for the time you lose encoding it and the fact that this time lost does not improve the quality significantly... so I'll stick with CQ ;-)

wcpaul  2002-08-20 18:19:06 ( ID:q7gr550x3gw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Long videos would benefit greatly from multiple passes and currently DO benefit from 2-pass. You can set the average bitrate just sightly higher than the minimum and still get perfect results in the high motion sections.

With multiple bitrate you could set min=2Mbs, max=8Mbs, ave=3Mbs and get a 3Mbs file with NO motion artifacts (effective quality equals 100%). Using the same min/max in CQ mode with a high quality setting will result in a bigger file.

The problem is that most people are not "pushing" 2-pass VBR to its limits by setting the average low. It IS time consuming to get the average setting optimized because this method requires processing the entire video. You can not experiment on short sections.

Meenky  2002-08-21 04:57:08 ( ID:lwxy7h0nwwf )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Why would you need (and want) more passes? The video needs to be analyzed just once (and then once again for the encoding of course) and for the best quality use the selection of highest quality of motion search precision. And I agree with wcpaul about 2-pass giving the BEST quality possible when file size is a determining factor or if you want a specific size. 2 pass is actually equivelant to CQ-100-quality when the resulting file size comes out lower than what you specified as the avg. bitrate. It means that the encoder has more than needed room for encoding the file at your max bitrate and the bitrate allocated rates (which depends on the motion of the movie). ehh hard to explain... but yeah, 2-pass takes forever though.. I'd say for an SVCD, if your file is 40 minutes or less, then you are safe for encoding at CQ at 100 quality, 2520 Max, 300 min, with padding for the MPG to fit on an 80-min CD. Unless your movie has very lottle motion, more than 40 mins, you'd probably wanna go with 2-pass to get the best quality with the space you have. Use a bitrate calculator like FitCD. okay.. off topic...ill go now..

wcpaul  2002-08-21 19:15:43 ( ID:q7gr550x3gw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Pro encoders do more than two passes because it is an iterative process to determine exactly where more and more bits can be stolen to make high motion scenes better. Until the guess from pass N is tested in pass N+1, you don't know whether it is optimal. If it is not, you need pass N+2, etc.

With just two passes, bit stealing probably needs to be conservative.

Bitrate/Q analysis on the final product should show a steady and low Q with a fluctating, but purposeful, bitrate even with a low average setting. TMPGenc in single pass CQ mode produces a nice Q but bitrate stays high and always seems to be "hunting" around unecessarily.

Question - VCD (non-standard) No.26771
john  2002-08-19 06:25:21 ( ID:y0cv6nkdwhf )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

How important is the system - setting "MPEG1-VCD(non-standard)"?

I recompressed a MPEG1 with the following settings: CQ, 3000-4000 bit rate, 100% quality, 44100khz and 320kbps to MPEG1 CQ, 1856-3000 bit rate, 100% quality, 44100khz and 320 kbps. (Its a 15 mins video i have all the space in the CD to use).

When i played back with my DVD/VCD player the video was perfect except for the audio there's a bit stuttering which is quite noticeable, about 97% good 3% stuttered. When i reviewed my settings aside from the above i used the option "MPEG1-VCD" not the "non-standard". Did this setting somehow affect my audio? or has to do with my bit rate?

Second question, when i fast forward the video in my DVD player the audio disappear, but if you play it normally till the end the audio is there, any explanation to this mystery?

thanks.

Olli  2002-08-19 07:24:49 ( ID:dazey0v8lbg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You are creating a non-standard VD so the setting "MPEG1-VCD" not the "non-standard" is correct.

The audio stutter could be because the bitrate you are using is too high for your player. Check out www.vcdhelp.com, there is a 'Plaayer List' section where you can look up your player and check up to what bitrate limits other people are encoding to.

Minion  2002-08-19 10:21:29 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

No ,if you are makeing a "NON-standard" vcd useing the "VCD-non-standard" setting is the Correct setting.if you use the "mpeg1 setting the correct VCD headers might not be added to the file.The reason that the audio cuts out could be because the bitrate is peeking out, which can make the audio cut out, if you lowered the minimum bitrate then you might overcome this problem without looseing quality.........

Olli  2002-08-19 14:49:55 ( ID:k24fqlswccn )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I should stop replying early in the morning ... allow myself to wake up first.
Of course Minion is right ...if you are creating a non standard VCD, that is the setting you should use ...

Question - Pal jerkiness No.26769
rocco  2002-08-19 04:41:41 ( ID:gg1wtdequka )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

hi, i'm trying to convert a pal-divx movie into cvd but when it is complete the picture comes out a bit jerky. I put the size at 352x576 and the GOP at 15. Actually i splited the divx movie into 2 parts but the first part came out fine. However i don't know why the second part is a little bit jerky (i used the same setting for both parts.Does anybody know what is the best setting for this in tmpgenc and Why part 2 comes out jerky and part 1 didn't....thank you for your time

Minion  2002-08-19 23:58:12 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Maybe the "Field Order" for the second part was not set correctly..The field order for the first part of a movie can be differant than the second part..If you load the file into Tmpgenc useing the Wizard" then Tmpgenc scans the file for the correct field order.....

Question - frameserving with DVD2AVI into TMPGenc No.26767
monster_t  2002-08-19 04:15:29 ( ID:30hqldl0ka6 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi,

I am ripping a DVD to VCD by frame-serving using DVD2AVI. However it seems that this process feeds TMPGenc with a 4:3 (pan&scan) aspect ratio. That is, full width video with vertically scretched. I would like to preserve original aspect ratio.
I have played around with the settings in TMPGenc but only with minimal success. The main change was with the "Image positioning method" in the Advanced Tab. If I change this setting to Centred(Custom Size) and set the pixel size to 352x252 the final video is closer to the original aspect ratio. From DVD2AVI the source is shown as PAL 16:9 interlaced.

Is this the only way to fix this or is there a better/easier way?

Also I would like to say that the quality from TMPGenc is excellent. Hopefully later releases will improve on the speed though.

Thanks in Advance.

Minion  2002-08-19 10:24:25 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Try changeing the output aspect ratio to 16:9 and try the "fullscreen(keep aspect ratio)" setting in the video arrange method, if you use the "clip frame" feature then you might be able to arrange it correctly.........

Question - error -537403781 698704 No.26765
simon  2002-08-19 03:30:30 ( ID:pscmpocc58h )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

anyone know what this means i beleive it is an audio problem but im not sure what to do , the error mssg appears every every frame it seems..

any help ?
simon

Minion  2002-08-19 23:54:21 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You can try to delete Tmpgenc and re-install it and see if that helps, but the problem is most likely because Tmpgenc does not like something about your file..Have you tried to use a differant file and see if it encodes it properly?? if it does then it is a problem with your file..

Question - error window with bunch of numbers No.26764
hux  2002-08-19 02:53:12 ( ID:/qbpqeboo.a )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

In the middle of encoding an .avi to .mpg in order to play on my dvd player, I got an error. It was an error window with numbers like.. "-4839452 91103" or something; always starting with a negative. That's all the window says, just numbers. I press "ok" and TMPGEnc continues encoding, then after a few frames, the window pops up again, i press "ok", pop up again, I press "ok", etc... I stopped encoding and opened the .mpg to see what it looked like. It was fine, actually. I just dont want to sit here for 1 hour+ and press enter on my keyboard every 2 seconds. What's wrong?? thanks..

Question - why can't I burn an mpeg2?? No.26762
jmorton10  2002-08-19 02:15:58 ( ID:dbwqcgkpnqf )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have a 3.7gig mpeg2 file I am trying to burn to DVD with my Pioneer A04 burner.

When I try to burn it with Nero, it tells me that since the file is over 2gigs it cannot be stored into an ISO file system.

When I tried to burn it with Sonic MyDVD it tells me it is too big to fit on the disc

TIA,
-John

Skorp  2002-08-19 13:17:51 ( ID:2k2pcik2knf )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

try using neoDVD it works for me.

Question - opening a d2v file No.26756
Ollie  2002-08-19 01:33:21 ( ID:sjbgvhgpxr. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Newbie here,

Downloaded all necessary software from afterdawn.com (Smart Ripper, DVD2AVI, TMPGEnc.) I've following all the directions perfectly. Now when I use TMPGEnc to open my d2v file, it says "it can not open, or unsupported". I have downloaded the VFAPI plugin and is properly installed. Trying this whole DVD/VCD thing on my new Athlon XP 1800 computer with 512 PC2700 DDR! Am I doing something wrong or is it the new Lord of the Rings DVD has to much antipiracy software in it?

Febre  2002-08-19 03:25:55 ( ID:c5f0f6itxnc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Sounds like you did something wrong in your frame serving part(the use of DVD2AVI). I've finished making a Lord of the Rings XVCD last week, and it came out great! The programs I used were CladDVD XP w/ DVD2AVI bundled, and of course TMPGenc 2.57. I usually use CladDVD XP to do both my ripping and frame serving at ounce. CladDVD XP has a function that goes automatically (should you choose the option) to DVD2AVI after ripping. Smartripper is great when you want alot more info off your DVD and not just the basics that CladDVD XP offers. You'll have to trouble shoot the options in DVD2AVI to see which option you mistakenly did or didn't choose. Since you didn't write down which settings you choosed, I can't help you find the problem. Check with VCDHelp.com to see their guides on setting up DVD2AVI. Good Luck

kahnman  2002-08-19 04:41:24 ( ID:fw9sde9qbrg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The message comes from several things.

DVD2AVI and the plugin vfp need to be in the same directory.

The audio and video ( mymovie.d2v and mymovie.wav) need to be in the same directory.

The finicky issue which I have verified over -over again. It the files can't be moved before imprting into TMPGENC. If you move them from there original location you will get that error. If move them and put them back you will get the error.

Last if you create and leave the D2v project in the directory where the dvd files are you eliminate your problem.

Frustrating but I have seen it

Wingl  2002-08-19 17:48:15 ( ID:9gchy3ggtlw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I've run into this problem also. I've also tried to send the created audio and vob file with the d2v file to another machine by way of a mapped drive and it doesn't work either. Any definitive way to get this to work?

Ollie  2002-08-19 18:12:35 ( ID:sjbgvhgpxr. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Kahnman,

Thanks a million buddy! My fault was that (being a newbie) I cut the movie's .wav file and pasted it in another folder. Basically I created two folders, one for the video and the other for the audio. Now I know, just leaving all the work that DVD2AVI does in one folder. Then, when you use TMPGEnc, and asks for a 2DV file, just point it to the one in that single folder.

Wheeew! This whole new DVD ripping thing has got me all excited again about computers.

Question for all of you folks, which do you prefer VCD, SVCD or DivX?

Thanks again all!

Ollie  2002-08-19 18:20:00 ( ID:sjbgvhgpxr. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Oh and one more thing,

Lord of the Rings on 3 CD's turned out beautifully. I've even made a nice custom Menu page with my own photoshop made logo (Eventhough there's only one link per CD) courtesy of Nero Burning Rom 5.5.9.0 !

Thanks again all :)!

Picture perfect details on how to make VCDs are courtesy of www.afterdawn.com

http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/dvd2vcd_with_smart_dvd2avi_tmpgenc.cfm?wide=true

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.