TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 554 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Classify Title User name Reply Last update
Question Bitrate settings/output options John Mitchell 3 2002-05-29 16:05:00
Question AVI to MPEG problems Trips 2 2002-05-29 03:22:14
Question interlace problem follow-up Bloodfeast 1 2002-05-29 16:24:58
Question Help no errors but no picture Stimpy_gr 2 2002-05-29 01:57:20
Question "illegal floating decimal point calculation order".....Can somebdy help me!?!?!? azilator 7 2002-05-29 17:41:15
Question VFAPI plugin USCHAMP 5 2002-05-29 19:28:13
Question Wrong time shown in WinMedia Player from CD Oscar 0 2002-05-28 15:54:05
Question Encoding Duration ME 2 2002-05-28 15:41:46
Question Subtitles Novice 2 2002-05-28 15:21:43
Question 4:2:2 encoding in PLUS? John Mitchell 2 2002-05-29 01:44:42
Question Nero/EZCD Creator reports errors with MPG Files created with TMPGEnc Chris Cox 2 2002-05-31 12:17:08
Question Failed to create device context Martin 4 2002-05-30 20:25:00

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 554 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Question - Bitrate settings/output options No.22151
John Mitchell  2002-05-29 01:51:02 ( ID:truugaj2adw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

With the PLUS version you can set bitrate settings higher than 8 Megabits. As a lot of my work is only 10 to 30 minutes duration the bit budget is not critical. Is there any advantage to encoding at higher bitrates (assume better quality) and what is the limit of streams that most settop DVD players can decode?

Also is there anyway to stop TMPGenc multiplexing the output streams? I see if you unlock the templates you can output separate audio and video streams. I suppose you could batch encode to produce the separate streams? I can't see any logical reason but I was concerned that encoding separately the two streams might get out of sync?

Thanks

John

Richard  2002-05-29 02:01:18 ( ID:kwfsrhnna/w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The DVD spec. says a maximum of 9.8 Mb/s for the video stream, with a maximum total bitrate, including video, audio, subpicture streams etc. of 11.08.

My experience has been that many players choke above 9Mb/s in the video stream.

ASHY  2002-05-29 14:22:07 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Actually the specs say DVD players are supposed to be able to sustain a bitrate of 9.8mb and can handle higer bitrates, but only for short periods of time.
I doubt you would ever even need to go above 9.8mb anyway as any higher would just give diminishing returns and you wouldn't see an improvment in quality.

As far as your concerns about sync go. I use a total of 3 programs to encode and combine the audio with the video as I don't use TMPG to encode the audio, just the video and I never have sync probs.

ASHY

John Mitchell  2002-05-29 16:05:00 ( ID:truugaj2adw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks for the info. Makes you wonder why many of the hardware encoders out there offer compression up to 15 Mb/s? Must be for archival purposes rather than settop playback...

I like this BBS - very helpful bunch.

John

Question - AVI to MPEG problems No.22148
Trips  2002-05-29 00:57:32 ( ID:2h81oqayzqm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hello. When i open the TMPGENC program, I try to convert an AVI file to a MPEG. However i always get an error saying that the type is unsupported. How do I make it be supported?

rob  2002-05-29 03:14:23 ( ID:tkevuffswsr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have the same problem with certain .avi files. If anyone knows what to do could you email me at prayingforain@hotmail.com
Thanks

Neophyte  2002-05-29 03:22:14 ( ID:p.gguifxn4c )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

go to options environmental settings click the Vfapi plugin tab
change the directshow priority to 2 and the rest to 0 then load your movie
chang the priority by highlighting the text and right clicking

Question - interlace problem follow-up No.22146
Bloodfeast  Home )  2002-05-29 00:03:15 ( ID:arln4xxxvwo )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hey thanks for the help with the interlace problem...NEXT problem, the original avi is 25fps...what to do now? If its not one thing its another :)

ASHY  2002-05-29 16:24:58 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Download a program called Virtualdub
http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/virtualdub.html
and this program.
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/avifrate.html

1. Load up your AVI into Virtualdub then click File>Save WAV.. and save the audio as a wav file somewhere.

2. Next click Video>framerate and change the framerate to 23.976. Now click Edit>end and note what the value is in the timescale box exactly. Convert this value into seconds, i.e. 1:20:28.842 = 4828.842 secs. WRITE THIS DOWN.
Close Virtual dub.

3. Download Cooledit 2000 http://ftp.syntrillium.com/pub/cool_edit/ce2kmain.exe
and install it.
When the program opens you will be presented with a box allowing you to choose 2 options. Choose options 1 and 3.

In the program click file>open and open the wav you created earlier.
Wait for it to finish then click 'Edit' and untick 'enable undo' then click 'select entire wave' next click 'Transform' and choose 'Time/pitch' from the drop down menu then click 'stretch'
In this box tick the following options:

Low precision
Time stretch (preserves pitch)

In the box that says 'Length' type in the exact figure you got in secs from Virtualdub for e.g. 4828.842 then click ok.
Wait for the program to do it's stuff then when its finished click 'file' then 'save as' and name and save your file as a wav.

4. Run Avi framerate changer an change the frame rate of your AVI to 23.976 fps
Now you should have a wav and an AVI exactly the same lengths.

5. Load your AVI and your wav into TMPG, choose MPEG2 and add 3:2 pulldown.
Now encode

ASHY

Question - Help no errors but no picture No.22143
Stimpy_gr  2002-05-28 21:29:28 ( ID:nkqthzsd0rl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have been trying to convert divx/avi to VCDs, I tried it with TMPGEnc and Nero, with the TMPGEnc conversion I could see the mpeg file but when I open it there is good sound but no picture, and on the Nero VCD the same (except I couldn't find the mpeg file) I haven't "installed" TMPGEnc I just run the .exe is this correct? I have also run the TMPGEncVFP_Install.bat in the same directory and it seemed to register. I cannot see any ppictures on the prviews either and so cannot fix the frame easily. I have tried about seven different .avi files but to no avail.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks
Stimpy

Minion  2002-05-28 22:32:24 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

There could be a few reasons for this,first make sure you have the correct codecs to decode your divx file,and make sure that your "direct show" plugin has high enough priority..What do you mean when you say you couldn"t find your mpeg file on the nero vcd?

John Mitchell  2002-05-29 01:57:20 ( ID:truugaj2adw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

When you create a VCD the video information is not stored with the MPEG extension. It's stored in a file structure that your VCD/DVD player knows how to access (in much the same way as DVD MPEG2 streams are stored in .vob files). From memory they are stored in .dat files?

Question - "illegal floating decimal point calculation order".....Can somebdy help me!?!?!? No.22135
azilator  2002-05-28 19:04:54 ( ID:9uorgwy4h3o )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Can somebody help me with the above problem.....

Im trying to convert a avi which play perfectly on Windows Media Player. But when done 66% i get the error messages...

Please........somebody help?!?!?!?

Minion  2002-05-28 22:26:52 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Your "avi" file has corrupted sectors in it and that is why you are getting the error, to fix it first go to "options" to "enviromental settings" then to the "cpu" tab and un-check the "SSE" box, then go to your regular "settings" then to "quantize matrix" and un-check the "use floating point" box, this should get you through the encodeing without any errors....

firsttimer  2002-05-29 05:29:26 ( ID:z24pjjzwmjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I started getting this same error message after I went to version 2.54a. Unfortunately, I deleted my previous version 2.52 and so I can't re-test it on it. I've already disabled SSE and unchecked use floating point DCT.

Are the older versions like 2.52 or 2.53 available elsewhere for download?

azilator  2002-05-29 09:46:24 ( ID:9uorgwy4h3o )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Minion.............YOU ARE A GOD.............THANKS FOR HELPING ME OUT

firsttimer...........http://www.audiobrenner.de/Audiocopyworld/Mpg.htm...............its in german so i dont understand a word of it....but they are there

azilator  2002-05-29 09:47:23 ( ID:9uorgwy4h3o )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

http://www.audiobrenner.de/Audiocopyworld/Mpg.htm

ASHY  2002-05-29 14:26:12 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

http://www.irradiance.net/NewStuff/Soft/TMPGEnc/

ASHY

firsttimer  2002-05-29 15:55:08 ( ID:z24pjjzwmjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks for the links. Well, I did some further testing and it now seems to point to my overclocked processor. I ratcheted it back down to its normal rated speed and it works fine...even with "Use floating point.." checked and SSE enabled. I'm going to do some more testing.

firsttimer  2002-05-29 17:41:15 ( ID:a108et./usm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks for the links. Well, I did some further testing and it now seems to point to my overclocked processor. I ratcheted it back down to its normal rated speed and it works fine...even with "Use floating point.." checked and SSE enabled. I'm going to do some more testing.

Question - VFAPI plugin No.22129
USCHAMP  2002-05-28 18:13:11 ( ID:i1ycumbwsza )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

How do I install this VFAPI plugin? I can't get it to work. Maybe I am trying to install it wrong?

ASHY  2002-05-28 19:40:00 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What do you mean you can't get it to work what are you trying to do?

ASHY

USCHAMP  2002-05-29 05:30:50 ( ID:lf8bomhf4rj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Install it, I click on it and a DOS lookign screen pulls up, but then it doesn't show up on TMPG enc. Am I trying to install it wrong?

ASHY  2002-05-29 14:36:01 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What do you mean it doesn't show up?
Double click TMPGEncVFP_Install.bat. This will install the plugin.
To check click 'Option' in TMPG and you should see 'register TMPGenc.vfp to VFAPI is checked' in the menu.
Thats it.

I still don't know why you are assuming it isn't working, what are you trying to do?

ASHY

USCHAMP  2002-05-29 18:04:15 ( ID:kqeswzcpkao )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'm trying to get a dv2 file to work in TMPG

ASHY  2002-05-29 19:28:13 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I think you misunderstand.
What you are trying to do has nothing to do with the VFAPI plugin.
The VFAPI plugin is for opening TMPG project files not d2v files.

Have a look at your NEW post on this subject I have posted a possible solution.

One thing I would like to say first though.
Please refrain from making mutiple posts on the same subject.
Some of us have been using this board a for quite a while and read almost all of the posts and check back frequently.
The reason I am telling you this is that you will end up being ignored by the people that can really help you if you continue to double post just to try and get attention to your problem.

If you be patient someone will help you.

ASHY

Question - Wrong time shown in WinMedia Player from CD No.22128
Oscar  2002-05-28 15:54:05 ( ID:blvxpewgwwm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Created an mgeg 1 video (not latest version of TMPGEnc). It's 46:47 in length.

If I play it from the hard drive, the time shown in Windows media player (7.1)is 46:47. If I copy the file to a CD and play it from the CD, the time shown (upper right corner of media play) is 2:40. After the progress slider gets to the far right (at 2:40 into the program) the program keeps playing -- so it is all there -- just the time displayed is wrong when run from the CD. Tried copying to CD using both Nero and Roxia software.

I figured something wasn't getting copied correctly, but, now for the fun part: copy the file from the CD back to the hard drive, and run it from the hard drive -- yep, shows 46:47 for the total time. Sizes, dates, etc. show the same on both the CD and hard drive.

Another interesting twist: the "wrong" time shown on my computer at home is 2:40. When I run it from CD here at work, the time shown is 21:58. (but then shows the correct 46:47 if I copy it to the hard drive and run it from there).

Any thoughts??

Question - Encoding Duration No.22125
ME  2002-05-28 15:09:03 ( ID:jklnaeppa/f )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

how do i speed up the encoding speed? it take's so long...

ASHY  2002-05-28 15:24:03 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

How long?

ASHY

Magic  2002-05-28 15:41:46 ( ID:cnlnyv2c5c2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Get a faster computer! ;-)

Seriously, as ASHY asked; how long is it taking? Also do you know what processor you have?

You can lower the movement prediction setting to encode faster, but you'll lower the quality if you do.

1 hour of film typically takes me 4 hours on my P3-450 at the default settings for VideoCD(PAL) and if I put movement prediction up to the highest quality setting it can take twice as long. I think that I'm getting pretty good encoding speeds for my processor power.

Question - Subtitles No.22122
Novice  2002-05-28 14:54:24 ( ID:bdkmc1uvltk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi,

TMPEnc is a great software but is it true that you are not able to add subtitles into the movies with TMPEnc?
If it's not true how do I do it?
And if it's true can anyone tell me how I'm able to do it then and with what?

M.Chan  2002-05-28 15:11:23 ( ID:jklnaeppa/f )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

To add subtitles, you have to edit the video and add text with video editing software. That's how I add subtitles anyway, there could be other methods but that's all I know...

ASHY  2002-05-28 15:21:43 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You could do it with Virtualdub.
There is a plugin you can use with virtual dub which will add subtitles to the AVI, which you can then frameserve to TMPG.

ASHY

Question - 4:2:2 encoding in PLUS? No.22119
John Mitchell  2002-05-28 13:55:26 ( ID:truugaj2adw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi there -

I'm just evaluating TMPGenc PLUS (15 day trial)- but I can't get one of the features to activate. I want to encode at full 4:2:2 (8 bit) as opposed to 4:2:0. The comparison chart seems to indicate this is a feature of TMPGenc PLUS - but it's greyed out - exactly the same as in the free version of TMPGenc.

The .AVI I'm supplying is definitely full 4:2:2 (Avid AVI 2.02D (MJPEG codec))

This would be my one reason for buying this over my existing compression software (Cleaner 5) - so I'm keen to hear whether this feature actually works... and if so why it's not working for me.

Thanks

John

ASHY  2002-05-28 14:14:38 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Firstly you need to encode to MPEG2. Then you will need to unlock the settings if you have chosen a template, as the template automatically locks the settings, so they can't be changed accidentally.

To unlock, click 'Load' and find the 'Extra' folder inside your templates folder. Here you will find a file called 'unlock.mcf'.
Double click it and the settings will unlock.

ASHY

John Mitchell  2002-05-29 01:44:42 ( ID:truugaj2adw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks - that worked perfectly.

Question - Nero/EZCD Creator reports errors with MPG Files created with TMPGEnc No.22116
Chris Cox  2002-05-28 13:19:55 ( ID:0w1asy2eap6 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi There.

I am sure that someone has also found the following problem. I have made some MPG files from original DVDs using the guides located on www.vcdhelp.com, (using SmartRipper, DVD2AVI and TMPGEnc) with success. However, when I try to make a VCD with either Nero or EZCDcreator 5, I am informed that the MPG files do not meet the White book standard.

Both Nero and Roxio report different reasons, but I guess they are different interpretations of the same thing. Nero reportsthat the "stream encoding is invalid for a Video CD", whereas Roxio reports that the "System Clock reference" is 1058 and that this is unnacceptable and the file will not play in a VCD player.

Can anyone offer any insights into what both programs are referring to and how to correct it in TMPGEnc before converting the DVD to MPG.

Thanks in advance.

ASHY  2002-05-28 13:42:03 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You have most probably created a non standard VCD.
VCD needs to be MPEG1 352x240 at 29.97 fps or 352x288 at 25 fps.
If these are the specifications of your file then you have most probably split the file using the Merge&Cut feature and haven't chose 'MPEG-1 Video CD' as the stream type from the dropdown menu.

The solution is to load the spilt files into the 'simple multiplexer' choose 'MPEG-1 Video CD' as the type and give your output a different name if you are putting the file in the same folder as the original.
Now click 'run' and your file should load fine in Nero.

Tip: Get rid of that crap Roxio, you will have all sorts of problems with it.

ASHY

UnregistereD  2002-05-31 12:17:08 ( ID:er3dl041q9h )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I had the same problem encoding SVCD MPEGs. Some files were okay, some gave this error in Nero. I followed this guide: http://www.vcdhelp.com/bbmpegedit.htm

Although it's written for SVCD, I'm (almost) sure it works on VCD also.

Good luck !

Question - Failed to create device context No.22111
Martin  2002-05-28 10:25:25 ( ID:kcdnecyv4rg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I try to convert a MPEG Stream into a VCD MPEG Stream.
Normally it works fine. Today the program created the error message:
Failed to create device context

What does this mean???

Cheers, Martin

Minion  2002-05-28 22:36:35 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

How are you converting your mpeg files into vcd mpeg files, are you encodeing them or just putting on new headers?

Martin  2002-05-29 14:40:50 ( ID:gutqj2tsxm2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I do that by encoding them new, because this bitrate from the original MPEG is to high.

Cheers, Michael

Minion  2002-05-29 22:13:35 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

There are a couple things you can try ,they both involve frame serveing, you can frame serve from dvd2avi, or what would be quicker is to frame serve from the "vfapi converter",I frame serve all my movies from the vfapi converter" with exelent results, if you use the vfapi converter ,first extract the audio from your mpeg, then load your file in the vfapi converter, and make sure the audio box is NOT checked ,then click convert and it will make a psudo avi file in about 2 seconds, then load the avi and the extracted audio in "tmpgenc" ..this might be a work around to you problem.....

Martin  2002-05-30 20:25:00 ( ID:ofnqvb5ydb2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks you for your answer and idea.
On my second computer (a slow one...) i have succeded in encoding the same MPEG video with the same TMPGEnc Version.
Maybe a problem of the right codec???

Cheers Martin

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.