Pegasys Products BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

Pegasys Products BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 720 / 983 ]   Next > >>
Classify Product Title User name Reply Last update
Question TE25 Audio out of sync gert 2 2002-09-09 22:20:41
Request TE25 100% vcd compliant Peter 2 2002-09-09 20:45:33
Question TE25 How to convert mpg-1 to divx with Tmpgenc Frank C 2 2002-09-09 21:53:01
Question TE25 Best Quality Settings Dig 1 2002-09-09 04:14:23
Question TE25 problems with xvid conversion awl38 1 2002-09-09 04:06:24
Question TE25 I bought TMPG Plus 2.5, does 2.58 upgrade apply to me? Paul M 5 2002-09-10 01:45:09
Question TE25 Direct capture/VCD encoding off of DV camcoder dagger 3 2002-09-09 04:04:56
Request TE25 black screen on avi just audio newbie1 0 2002-09-08 17:39:56
Request TE25 black screen on avi just audio newbie1 3 2002-09-09 21:39:14
Question TE25 jerky scenes geohei 6 2002-09-10 02:59:08
Question TE25 RE: ATI "All in Wonder" mpgs... should I use TMPG? Paul M 2 2002-09-09 22:23:23
Question TE25 Speed me up ! Divx 0 2002-09-08 13:54:40

Pegasys Products BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 720 / 983 ]   Next > >>
Question - TE25 - Audio out of sync No.27804
gert  2002-09-09 09:19:31 ( ID:hajh7l..fvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

when encoding my avi to svcd-pal, the Audio gets out of sync. why ?

thanx
gc

maf02  2002-09-09 09:52:59 ( ID:m8b9qxujdzn )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

- What framerate is the source AVI?
- What did you choose as destination rate?
- Have you tried to delay the audiofile in the edit menu?

Marc

Minion  2002-09-09 22:20:41 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

It can go out of sync for a bunch of reasons, If you are encodeing to a different frame rate than the original file you can have sync problems, if the audio was off set in the avi by who ever created the file that would cause de-sync...Sometimes a AVI file will say that it is 25fps say but it is actually 24.97fps or something and when you encode it it goes out of sync cuz it isn"t actually the frame rate it says it is...These are a few reasons why it happens and there are more but seing as how we have no information about your avi file all we can do is Guess.....

Request - TE25 - 100% vcd compliant No.27801
Peter  2002-09-09 08:42:38 ( ID:gdoi5fzrbsw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I am just wondering if Tmpgenc is a 100% vcd compliant. I have a portable vcd player (napa dav-311) and it is apparently very picky about which encoder have been used when encoding the mpeg files. For some reason it doesn't like tmpgenc at all, and the playback gets all jerky when playing the vcds. So far the only encoder i have managed to find that make smooth playing mpegs are the "video impression" program that ships with roxio easy cd creator. That program sucks because it is too slow and doesn't produce nearly as good images as tmpgenc does. Does anyone know what to do???

B_Racer  2002-09-09 16:11:07 ( ID:gxmkoa4dlnj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What do you use for burning the VCDs? The Files, TMPGEnc creats ARE compliant, maybe the burner-software is the problem.

ASHY  2002-09-09 20:45:33 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

No TMPG does not produce 100% VCD compliant MPEG files. This is why you are having problems.
The reason is due to the way TMPG multiplexes the streams together. The solution is to download Phillips Video cd 2.0 toolkit and use the multiplexer to re-mux the MPEG.
De-multiplex the MPEG to seperate video and audio streams with TMPG then use the VCD toolkit multiplexer to re-multiplex them together. This should create a 100% vcd 2.0 compliant MPEG which your player should be able to play fine.

ASHY

Question - TE25 - How to convert mpg-1 to divx with Tmpgenc No.27798
Frank C  2002-09-09 04:19:01 ( ID:ogxtejq//q2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I read from divx tools page that you can convert mpg-1 to divx. I don't see that option anywhere in the tmpgenc menu.

How do you do it?

Thanks

Minion  2002-09-09 08:01:22 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I suppose you can encode Mpeg1 to Divx, but Virtual Dub would be better for that cuz that is what it is made for..To turn a Mpeg1 file into an avi file you just load the Mpeg1 file into Tmpgenc and then go to "file" to "Output to" then to "AVI" then a window will pop up with and dialog on were to save the file and there you can choose the Codec to encode with and the codec settings.the when you click "Save it should start makeing a AVI file with which ever codec you chose that is installed on your system..

ASHY  2002-09-09 21:53:01 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Why???

ASHY

Question - TE25 - Best Quality Settings No.27796
Dig  2002-09-09 03:27:11 ( ID:bgxd7/ataaw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have 2.57 and was wondering about some of these settings.

- What does changing the bitrate do?
It is at 1150 - if I go to 2200 will that make the output better?
If I change the min value to a higher value would that make output better?

- Is 2 pass VBR better than VBR auto?
If I choose 100% on the quality of auto would that give me better output?

I have an avi file that I want to view on the computer at 640x480 and there just seems to be a lot of noise when it is playing. What I mean is that when a door is opening it is almost like it is slightly breaking apart.

Viewing the origingal file on a NTSC monitor show a very sharp, high res out put but after going thru compression it seem crappy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Minion  2002-09-09 04:14:23 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The Quality of the encoded mpeg is directly related to the Bitrate used to encode it and the quality of the source file..The best encodeing method is the "CQ" or "Constant Quality" method, it is better than the 2-pass method with half the encodeing time..And the higher the resolution of the mpeg the higher the bitrate should be..For regular VCD resolution usually about 1650kbs should give you fairly good results but even higher is better, when useing the "CQ" method putting the Minimum at 1000kbs and max at 5000kbs with the quality at about 85 you should get very good results...But the quality of the Output can only be as good as the quality of the input...

Question - TE25 - problems with xvid conversion No.27794
awl38  2002-09-09 01:38:57 ( ID:c6hpkj5.fef )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Everytime I try to convert an xvid file tmpgenc gives an error a few seconds into the encode. Is there any way to fix this? Happens everytime.

Minion  2002-09-09 04:06:24 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What was the error??Depending on what type of error you are getting there might be a solution or there might not be...

Question - TE25 - I bought TMPG Plus 2.5, does 2.58 upgrade apply to me? No.27788
Paul M  2002-09-08 19:59:16 ( ID:/1isfusp3aa )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi
I've never been clear on the different versions, other than the MPEG 2 capability of PLUS... Shoud I upgrade to TMPG 2.58? Will it do anything for me that I can't do now?

Minion  2002-09-08 22:23:02 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If you Bought "Tmpgenc Plus 2.57" you are intitled to a free upgrade to 2.58, you are only intitled to an upgrade to the version that comes out right after the one you bought so if you don"t upgrade to it you won"t be able to upgrade to anything, so you might as well do it ,you can run both versions at the same time and if you like one more than the other you can delete one of them...

ffast  2002-09-09 07:13:09 ( ID:bziuu02jpsm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

http://www.pegasys-inc.com/e_faq.html#update

You are free to upgrade to 2.58 if you bought 2.57 or before.

thatguy  2002-09-09 20:24:09 ( ID:p.tqmrkte1l )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

i was looking for an answer to the same question. i must say though, thats a bunch of crap. when a new version comes out every couple of months it annoys me to not get the new feature and mpg2 options. every other internet based program, (musicmatch,realplayer,ect.) allow upgrades once you've bought the product. i love this encoder and have used it for a long time now. i couldn't wait for a full version to keep the mpg2 option open, but that aspect of the marketing definetly needs rethinking to keep the customer happy.

ASHY  2002-09-09 20:58:31 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What the hell are you talking about? Once you have purchased TMPG plus ALL future versions so far have been free upgrades including the continuation of the MPEG2 encoding ability.
Either you are using an illegal serial which has been blacklisted and this is why you are moaning that future upgrades aren't working or you aren't using the Plus version at all and haven't purchased it in the first place.

ASHY

ffast  2002-09-10 01:45:09 ( ID:bziuu02jpsm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

thatguy, you are completely misunderstanding!!!!!

People who have purchased any older version(2.51 - 2.57) of TMPGEnc Plus can update freely to 2.58 which is newest version of Today!

Question - TE25 - Direct capture/VCD encoding off of DV camcoder No.27784
dagger  2002-09-08 17:53:19 ( ID:lbwsx7ap512 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'm a newb also, so be gentle :)

I've learned enough of the basics to understand that the process essentially involves
1- video capture onto PC
2- encoding (in my case VCD's)
3- VCD burning

I have a JVC MiniDV camcoder, a fast Athlon PC with firewire, and I'm playing with these apps: Ulead VideoStudio, Nero 5.5, and of course TMPGEnc 2.5. I've successfully burned two VCD's that work on my DVD player (yeah!!). But it's a long process, and I'm looking for some optimizations.

My basic question in there must be a way to combine steps 1 & 2 above. When I connect my DVCamcoder, it's a visible device (I'm running WinXP Pro). However, when I browse to the DV device from within TMPGEnc, I can go to the DV camera but it doesn't recognize the DV file (on tape) in the camcoder so I can't directly encode it to my harddrive. Can anybody show me the way (if it's even possible)?

Thanx much in advance,
dagger

Minion  2002-09-08 22:18:24 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You can not encode directly off your Cam-Corder with Tmpgenc..You can use Mpeg capture programs like "Power VCR" to capture directly to "Mpeg1/2" so you don"t have to encode the movie to mpeg, there are programs like "Ulead DVD Workshop" that will let you capture to mpeg and do menu"s and chapters and burn all in the same program..But this way will not give you the best Quality as doing it the long way that you are allready doing..If you were to use "Adobe Premier 6.5" you could do the editing and add transitions and titles then you can frame serve the File to Tmpgenc without haveing to render it to avi..So these are basicly the choises you have, and it is allways going to be a very time consumeing proscess if you want the best quality....

dagger  2002-09-09 02:34:25 ( ID:lbwsx7ap512 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

minion - thanks for the reply. From what I've read so far, others concur with the few one steps sacrifice some quality.

OK, so, I need to capture first. I have 2 apps that can do it - Ulead VideoStudio and WinXP's Movie Maker. Both have different options/file formats to encode the captured DV file. It's not clear to me if I should select the highest quality format (Ulead uses a 720x480 @ 30fps .avi format for DV sources), or select one of the MPEG1 formats closest to VCD's, like 352x240? There is a big difference in size - the highest leaves a 10G .avi file which quickly leads to hard drive exhaust. WinXP's is the easiest user interface.

Nero5.5 then lets me do their VCD encoding followed by burning - and that works. However, I have obviously heard good things about TMPGEnc, including XVCD which appears to work with my Panasonic RP82 DVD player, which would give me higher resolution I think. However, I want to give TMPGEnc the required encoded DV movie file in order to create the best looking VCD.

I'm not knowledgeable enough at this time to feel confident in the correct approach/options/process yet to make these VCD's.

Thanks again for the assistance,
dagger

Minion  2002-09-09 04:04:56 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If you are just going to make VCD"s you don"t need to capture to 720 by 480, just capture to 352 by 480, but if you want to do xvcd with higher resolutions try to capture to 704 by 480, then you can encode that with tmpgenc to a XVCD, but useing a high resolution like that means you have to use a Lot higher bitrate so you will only get a max of 45 minutes on a CD-R..And I wouldn"t use Nero for encodeing cuz it is terrorable for quality..But if you just want to start out makeing Standard VCD"s then Tmpgenc is easy to use..you just load in your avi file then click the "Load" button in the bottom Right, then look for the "NTSC VCD" template in the Templates folder and load it then ,click the "start" button and it will encode a standard VCD for you, if you want to make a XVCD you will have to load the "Unlock.mcf" template so you can manually adjust the settings, then you just change the resolution to one that your player will play, usually either "352 by 480/480 by 480/704 by 480" then change the Bitrate, you will need to at least Double the standatd bitrate to obtain the desired Quality...it is a lot of trial and error to get everything right.....

Request - TE25 - black screen on avi just audio No.27783
newbie1  2002-09-08 17:39:56 ( ID:ruczdfwc0k. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Just starting to get into the copy stuff, converting an avi, the file comes out into mpg without any video, just audio. Any suggestions? Wish I had a step by step to go through.

thanks, great program, I just have to learn how to use it.

Request - TE25 - black screen on avi just audio No.27779
newbie1  2002-09-08 17:23:34 ( ID:ruczdfwc0k. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Just starting to get into the copy stuff, converting an avi, the file comes out into mpg without any video, just audio. Any suggestions? Wish I had a step by step to go through.

thanks, great program, I just have to learn how to use it.

Minion  2002-09-08 22:08:36 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You probably just need to raise the priority of the "direct show file reader". you do this by going to "options" to "enviromental settings" to "vfapi plugins" and raise the "direct Show" to "2"..

thatguy  2002-09-09 20:27:10 ( ID:p.tqmrkte1l )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

i've had similar problem downloading avi movies off the net and converting them. most of the time the person who made the avi from they're digital camcorder used a codec that tmpg doesn't support. to fix it just run it through virtual dubb. i use the divx codec and uncompressed audio. it makes the file much bigger, but you get the result you want out of tmpg when its done that way.

ASHY  2002-09-09 21:39:14 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What's the point in creating a DIVX out of an already AVI movie?
If it's an AVI TMPG will support it as long as the correct codec is installed. If media player will play it then TMPG should be able to open it.
The problem is not likely related to the type of AVI anyway, but is just a simple matter of raising the priority of the directshow reader as minion points out. This usually solves the problem as long as you have the correct codec installed.
As for converting AVI's to DIVX with Virtualdub, this is a pointless, time wasting and quality degrading step.
If you need to use Virtualdub to open a movie because you are having problems with TMPG then just simply frameserve the file to TMPG from Virtualdub rather than waste time and space creating another AVI.

ASHY

Question - TE25 - jerky scenes No.27772
geohei  2002-09-08 14:46:38 ( ID:s2jtz1ncbs. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I use TMPGenc 2.56. When convert a DivX 5.x encoded movie to MPEG-2 (VBR, CD, CBR, ... doesn't matter) I get a jerky MPEG-2. The MPEG-2 file itself plays jerky (checked with WinDVD and PowerDVD) as well as the SVCD itself (checked on a few DVD players).

The DivX plays smooth.

The jerks occur at #0.5 seconds and are only visible when there the scene moves violently.

How can I overcome this problem?

TIA

Johnson  2002-09-08 16:38:14 ( ID:ghvttwecibn )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I've been getting a similar problem, anyone know the answer to this one?

ASHY  2002-09-08 16:55:36 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You have most probabably changed the framerate of the MPEG from the original framerate of the DIVX. TMPG does not do a proper framerate conversion and will cause jerky playback such as you describe.
There are a number of ways to do a proper conversion depending on your requirments.
Post back with more detail and we will give info how to do it correctly.

ASHY

geohei  2002-09-08 19:18:11 ( ID:s2jtz1ncbs. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Do you mean that I changed the framerate of the TMPGEnc encoded MPEG-2? - No!
VirtualDub says the framerate is 25.000, and I used the SVCD PAL Template of TMPGEnc to encode the DivX. No framerate conversion took place.

However, VirtualDub says that the file has 129543 frames, while the maximum adjustable in Source Range (TMPGEnc) is 155450.

How is that possible?

BTW ... I did already a framerate conversion with TMPGEnc (from 23.976 to 25.000). You are right saying that this produces jerks. However that's not what I did here. The framerate which VirtualDub detects (25.000) is used in TMPGEnc.

TIA

ASHY  2002-09-08 19:24:32 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If it isn't a framerate problem then all I can suggest is it maybe you do not have the field order set correctly. Change the field order to the opposite of what you encoded with before and try again.

ASHY

geohei  2002-09-08 21:43:01 ( ID:s2jtz1ncbs. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Your suggestion surprises me.

- If the field order relevant with progressive (non-interlace) source material?
- A DivX is generally progressive, isn't it?- What about my previous question with the different number of frames regarding VirtualDub and TMPGEnc?

BTW ... I tested your suggestion to change the field order, and it worked! The jerks disappeared. BUT I reverted back to the original setting of the field order and the jerks disappeared as well! I have absolutely no explanantion for that, especially that the final MPEG-2 file was slightly different in size, with EXACTLY the same project being used ?!?!

Either TMPGEnc has a bug or the project doesn't save all settings!?

I would really like to know what's going on here.

TIA

geohei  2002-09-10 02:59:08 ( ID:s2jtz1ncbs. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

ASHY - still there?

More things I found out ...

The frame rate in the "Source range" window shows 30 fps (with my 25 fps source .avi) when the "DirectShow File Multimedia Reader" is selected in the "Enviromental settings" (VFAPI plug-in) with priority 1. WIsn't this a bug?

TIA

Question - TE25 - RE: ATI "All in Wonder" mpgs... should I use TMPG? No.27769
Paul M  2002-09-08 14:37:10 ( ID:/1isfusp3aa )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hello people. I have spent the last couple of days playing with the ATI "All in Wonder"7500 video capture card... learning first hand what you guys have meant about uncompressed AVI devouring disk space and trying to come up with a comfortable - to me - middle ground. I really don't like the 352 x 240 size and prefer to capture at a slightly larger size. Now I am using an "mpeg 1" format, but I wonder just how good the ATI MPEG 1 really is.... Should I recode the ATI mpg with TMPG, or should I try to use a compressed AVI format and than use TMPG? My end goal is to use NERO to burn to CD-Rs.

Minion  2002-09-08 22:02:07 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You would probably get the best results if you capture un-compressed AVI and then encode to mpeg with Tmpgenc..Captureing to Mpeg then encodeing to mpeg won"t produce very good quality, but if you can Capture good Quality Mpeg to the same resolution that you want the finnished product to be, that would save a lot of time and disk space...

ASHY  2002-09-09 22:23:23 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

In my experience of capturing (and I have tried all sorts) the DIVX 5 codec still proves to beat any other codec including the so called lossless Huffyuv codec which frankly I think produces crap results.

If you have a fast PC then capturing with the DIVX 5 codec set at it's highest 1 pass quality based setting and fastest performance/quality setting will give very high quality results almost like uncompressed AVI (yes really) and certainly better than MPEG 1 capturing.

The file size is usually a few gigs for a regular movie. If you find you can't use the fastest performace/quality setting because of dropped frames then simply change the setting to a lower one until the dropped frames dissappear this won't affect the actual quality of the capture, but tends to produce a larger file size because of less compression in the file.

Also capturing to at least the framesize of the intended outcome will help too, but having said this I have always found that capturing to the highest resolution possible without dropping frames improves the quality of the final MPEG when the framesize is reduced when encoding.

If you need to know of an excellant capture program and one of the best I have used so far which will give some options other capture programs won't offer then try IUVCR.
I don't use Virtualdub for capturing as I have found it restricts the use of certain drivers and is an old VFW windows program anyway which are slow and offer less advantages than using an improved WDM program such as IUVCR.

ASHY

Question - TE25 - Speed me up ! No.27768
Divx  2002-09-08 13:54:40 ( ID:r.o1gyof2bc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What can I do to speed up my encoding. I use a custom xsvd from one of the pros on here. But have way to many movies to work on.

Hard space?
Ram?
# of movies being done at one?
What else?

Steven

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.