Pegasys Products BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

Pegasys Products BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 778 / 983 ]   Next > >>
Classify Product Title User name Reply Last update
Question TE25 500bps jerky sound James 3 2002-07-24 12:47:05
Question TE25 Submux and TMPGenc martin 3 2002-07-24 21:43:18
Question TE25 Mr. Andres Posada 1 2002-07-23 15:30:02
Question TE25 After encoding with TMPGenc Nero starts encoding again!! Petr@ 4 2002-07-26 12:59:10
Question TE25 .avi file "can not open, or unsupported" why can't i load this video to convert to .mpg? PuTo777 3 2002-08-03 11:13:51
Question TE25 All about Adobe Primier Bob 3 2002-07-23 08:44:47
Question TE25 Settings for a clearer picture/audio question daveoklahoma 7 2002-07-24 03:05:08
Question TE25 PAL at 24fps to 25fps, continued.. ABS 1 2002-07-23 11:50:01
Question TE25 Is there any way to compress .vob files? Drivnvws 0 2002-07-23 01:23:02
Question TE25 Determining what Mpeg a file is Drivnvws 4 2002-07-22 23:47:30
Question TE25 Burning DVD to DVD-rw Drivnvws 19 2002-07-28 14:18:00
Question TE25 Video clip to DVD, What progams to use? Drivnvws 1 2002-07-23 18:26:39

Pegasys Products BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 778 / 983 ]   Next > >>
Question - TE25 - 500bps jerky sound No.25406
James  2002-07-23 14:55:31 ( ID:zqigxf3uunk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'm trying to put two or more hours of AVI made from a powerpoint slideshows (with narration) onto a vcd. When I reduce the bitrate (to 500), the sound goes jerky. The quality of the pictures is adaquate but the sound goes fast and jerky!

What is happening?
Can I fix it?

James

ASHY  2002-07-23 16:41:56 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

There may be a number of reasons for this.
1. Does this happen only on you hardware player, if so it could be that your player doesn't support the low bitrate you are using and I'm quite suprised you wish to use this bitrate, the quality must be terrible.

2. It could be the muxing rate. Seeing as you are now creating an out of standard VCD the standard VCD muxing rate will not be correct. Try running the MPEG through the simple multiplexer in the MPEGtools and choose 'MPEG1 VCD(non standard' as the stream type.

If it is the bitrate which is at fault and you are dead set on fitting 2 hours on to one cd then try these templates which will allow 2 hours on 1 cd with good quality. http://www.kvcd.net
You may need to raise the minimum bitrate in the templates so the VCD will play ok in you player.

ASHY

James  2002-07-24 03:54:09 ( ID:zqigxf3uunk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

>There may be a number of reasons for this.
>1. Does this happen only on you hardware player, if so it could be that your player doesn't support the low bitrate you are using and I'm quite suprised you wish to use this bitrate, the quality must be terrible.

YES ID IS WITH A HARDWARE PLAYER AND I AM ONLY VIEWING STILLS OF MAINLY TEST.

>
>2. It could be the muxing rate. Seeing as you are now creating an out of standard VCD the standard VCD muxing rate will not be correct. Try running the MPEG through the simple multiplexer in the MPEGtools and choose 'MPEG1 VCD(non standard' as the stream type.

TRIED THAT WITH NO LUCK

>
>If it is the bitrate which is at fault and you are dead set on fitting 2 hours on to one cd then try these templates which will allow 2 hours on 1 cd with good quality. http://www.kvcd.net

SAME PROBLEM WITH THAT TEMPLATE :-(

>You may need to raise the minimum bitrate in the templates so the VCD will play ok in you player.

EVEN A BITRATE OF 700 HAS PROBLEMS ON MY MACHINE (NOT AS BAD THOUGH!)

THANKS FOR TRYING ASHY

IF YOU KNOW OF ANY CREATOR/ENCODER THAT WILL LET ME USE TIMED STILLS TO A BACKGROUND NARRATION,(TO LET ME GET TO 2HOURS) I'D BE VERY INTERESTED - MOST ONLY ALLOW A SET TIME FOR ALL THE PICS (5sec or 10 sec FOR ALL).

THANKS AGAIN

James

ASHY  2002-07-24 12:47:05 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Go to http://www.vcdhelp.com/author.htm and check out where it says
How to make a VCD/SVCD Photo-Album/Slide-Show

There are several programs and guides here which may help you out.

ASHY

Question - TE25 - Submux and TMPGenc No.25402
martin  2002-07-23 14:22:16 ( ID:xlnf0vsqrnw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi I have a question
If I use submux to add a subtitle to my avi file and like to convert it afterwards
Will TMPGenc convert the subtitle to??

Jojinto  2002-07-23 21:08:53 ( ID:/ltlglwfcqm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Well of course it will encode the subtitles......i personally use Virtualdub for avi subtitling,and for mpeg-2 i use submux and maestroSBT.The last two takes alot of time to encode even with a fast PC.

ASHY  2002-07-24 13:51:18 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If your intention is to add subtitles to an AVI or an MPEG1 I would suggest using Virtualdub and then simply frameserve to TMPG to create an MPEG1 or MPEG2 file with subs.

ASHY

martin  2002-07-24 21:43:18 ( ID:xlnf0vsqrnw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Okay lest my get this right
If I last say add 3 subtitles whit submux to my avi file and then
Converts it to svcd whit TMPEGenc and put it in my dvdplayer
I can thus for one of the tree subtitles I added?

Question - TE25 - Mr. No.25400
Andres Posada  2002-07-23 13:30:06 ( ID:clrun6lh9/a )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

How do I update from version 2.53 to version 2.57. I do not see where to input my serial number. Thank you.

3rd  2002-07-23 15:30:02 ( ID:d4a5wuxiwpr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Goto :

http://www.pegasys-inc.com/

and press "FAQ"

Then you will find answer at "Q. How do I update TMPGEnc Plus?".

Question - TE25 - After encoding with TMPGenc Nero starts encoding again!! No.25395
Petr@  2002-07-23 09:24:19 ( ID:gispzp7xetl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

After encoding a film with TMPGenc to a VCD format, I loaded the file into Nero and now Nero starts encoding the movie all over again! Is this normal??
Thanks in advance for any reply!
Petr@

ASHY  2002-07-23 10:18:22 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

No, there must something wrong file or setting you have missed.
What are the error warnings that NERO is giving you and are you creating a non standard VCD?

First check to make sure that you are indeed using the VCD option in NERO and not the SVCD option if you are creating a VCD.

If you are creating a VCD with a different resolution than normal then NERO will give you an error message, just ignore and choose 'Turn off standard compliance an continue'. DO NOT choose re-encode (NEVER CHOOSE THIS OPTION).

If you have used the MPEGtools to split your movie then make sure you choose 'MPEG1 Video cd' if you are creating a standard VCD or 'MPEG1 VCD(non standard)' if you are creating a non standard VCD, as the stream type.
Choosing 'MPEG1 automatic' will give you an error in NERO.

Post the specs of the file here and we'll take a look at it.

ASHY

Markpjones  2002-07-24 00:03:39 ( ID:byfgb8hg5fn )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Screw Nero! Use VCDeasy, a free program (GPL)with chapter support!

ASHY  2002-07-24 00:08:09 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thats helpful...

Petr@  2002-07-26 12:59:10 ( ID:gispzp7xetl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Sorry guys, it was my own fault. A NTSC vs. PAL problem. It has been solved. Thanks anyway.
Petr@

Question - TE25 - .avi file "can not open, or unsupported" why can't i load this video to convert to .mpg? No.25391
PuTo777  2002-07-23 07:34:26 ( ID:lchz8tiao5f )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

hey, im really new to tmpgenc & video editing. so please help me out.

i am trying to convert a .avi file to .mpg so i can make a vcd. when i try to load it, i get the message "c:/blah blah.avi can not open, or unsupported"

is this just not possible with this software? do i need another software? anyone know? i think the .avi uses divx decompression. does that make it different? someone please help me out.

thanx,
puto777

puto_777@yahoo.com

Minion  2002-07-23 08:46:51 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

This is Newbie Question #1, go to "options" to "enviromental settings" to "vfapi plugins" and raise the "direct show file reader" to "2" this should get the file loaded........

Fred Smythe  2002-08-03 09:02:19 ( ID:smqpgkytetr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

>This is Newbie Question #1, go to "options" to "enviromental settings" to "vfapi plugins" and raise the "direct show file reader" to "2" this should get the file loaded........

'Cept it doesn't work in my case. I'm running WinDVD, and the file loads and plays in that, so I know I do in fact have the codec in question, and it plays in bad aspect ratio in WMP when the extension is changed to mpg, so I'm really confused as to what's wrong. I am running WinDVD on this laptop where I am running PowerDVD XP on my desktop machine where everything works fine, could that make a difference?

ASHY  2002-08-03 11:13:51 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The reason is you don't have an MPEG2 codec installed that works with TMPG, not all MPEG2 codecs do and Windvd and Power DVD codecs don't even though directshow can use them for media player.

Look to your other post I have posted the solution.

ASHY

Question - TE25 - All about Adobe Primier No.25387
Bob  2002-07-23 03:45:47 ( ID:zprigmmvxug )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Dear All ,

Many Friends told to me about why you not use Adobe Primier for editing your movie, Yes I want, but some problem that I got.
I've installed Adobe Primier 6.0 in my PC but, can't connect to my Digital Camcorder (Panasonic NV-DS28), I think Primier not support my device.
What should I do ?
And please help me to give any reference or guide about how to use Adobe Primier for Video Editing, or maybe you can give me Web address.
Thanks for your kind help.

Bob

Minion  2002-07-23 04:46:19 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You should make sure you have all the proper drivers for you dv device and make sure you have all the updates for "Premier" and if all else fails you can go to http://www.adobe.com/ and get support or download the manual or updates..I use premier for editing and exporting and other software for captureing..

Bob  2002-07-23 05:28:18 ( ID:zprigmmvxug )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Once again,
Very very thanks Minion for your info.
But How about Guide for editing with Primier, any address that can access ?

Bob

Minion  2002-07-23 08:44:47 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The manual that you can download at the link above should tell you what all the settings are and what everything in Premier does.......

Question - TE25 - Settings for a clearer picture/audio question No.25379
daveoklahoma  2002-07-23 03:01:25 ( ID:du09zbxrwyw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Okay, I am somewhat of a notice at this:

I have downloaded an AVI file (the specs are listed below):

Audio: MPEG Layer-3, 95kBits/s, 44,100 Hz, Stereo
Video: 352x288, 90170 Frames, 25.000 Frames/Sec., 102KB/Sec, Unknown format

I have cut the movie in half using VirtualDub.

My first question: How do I know if the audio is compressed and that I need to "uncompress" it and have the AVI file converted to MPEG using the uncompressed WAV file?

Also, is there a way to make the movie clearer by adjusting some settings? I don't know the difference between "interlace" and "non-interlace" video type and "aspect ratio". Does TMPG auto detect that? Are there some settings I can change in "clip frame" or "other settings"? Can I change bitrate somewhere? I'm told the higher the bitrate, the clearer the picture (or is everything based on the way I downloaded it)? It's just that when I finally make the VCD it looks rather distorted up close.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

daveoklahoma  2002-07-23 03:03:01 ( ID:du09zbxrwyw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I meant to say that I am somewhat of a "novice" at this!!

Minion  2002-07-23 04:39:24 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What you do to extract the audio to wav it to load the avi file in virtual dub and go to "file" to "save wav" and it should extract the audio to a wav file, The audio in your file is MP3..As for interlace and progresive(non-interlace) the file you have is "25fps pal" so it is progressive, and for Output aspect ratio it should be put to "4:3" cuz that is what your TV is unless it is widescreen.Tmpgenc auto detects the input specs but you have to set the output specs.As for getting a clearer picture, the movie can"t really look any better than the avi you are encodeing it from, but the higher the "bitrate" the closer to the original avi it will look, and you will have to encode the file with "Pal" settings cuz it is a "Pal" avi file, you can try to encode it to "Ntsc" but you could get some undesireable results.If the color or contrast ect is a bit off in your avi file you can try to make it look better with the "color correction" in the "advanced settings" you just double click on the filter you want to use and the adjust it to look better........

daveoklahoma  2002-07-23 05:22:31 ( ID:du09zbxrwyw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

In TMPG it won't let me adjust the bitrate settings. It's set at 1150kbits/sec (I can't go higher). Is it because it is a PAL file that I can't adjust it? Is that what you mean by "encoding" the PAL file? How would I do that? The VBV (whatever that is) is on 40KB. Any help is appreciated. I'm in the try-it-and-see-what-happens mode.

Minion  2002-07-23 07:03:25 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Yes you can but you have to load the "unlock.mcf" template in the "extra" folder.This will unlock ALL the settings so make sure they are set to what you want them to be set to......

daveoklahoma  2002-07-24 01:00:36 ( ID:du09zbxrwyw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Okay, I'm lost. I found the "unlock" template but how do you load it? I click on it and it asks we what application to associate it with. I pick TMPG and it says "illegal stream format". How would I load the unlock feature?

Minion  2002-07-24 03:03:28 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Ok, you load it like you load a template, ok, first start tmpgenc, then load it your avi file, then click the "LOAD" tab in the bottom right corner then LOAD the "unlock.mcf" template then all the settings will be unlocked, this is how you load templates , there should be 2 folders full of templates with different setting and differant names like "vcd ntsc" and "vcd ntsc film" and "svcd ntsc" and "svcd pal" ect,ect, you load a template for what you want to do, so you want to make a "ntsc vcd" but you want to use a higher bitrate, so you load the "ntsc vcd template" then you load the "unloac.mcf" template so you can raise the bitrate.It"s easier than PIE.....

Minion  2002-07-24 03:05:08 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You want to make a "pal" movie with that file so you would load the "pal vcd" template then you would load the "unlock" template to raise the bitrate......

Question - TE25 - PAL at 24fps to 25fps, continued.. No.25377
ABS  2002-07-23 01:52:30 ( ID:0v38fp4fqco )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

OK, let me explain myself again :-)

What they did was adding an extra field every 12 frames...
The reason for this was to avoid the need for 4% speed up. That way you have 25fps that are actually 24fps internally. What I want to do is to remove those repeated fields so I would get progressive 25fps (with the 4% speed up).

So, my problem is that it's not an acturate transfer. Meaning, that the pattren of 11 frames for two fields each and then frame 12 for 3 fields some times shifts a bit. So I have to go frame by frame and make sure it's OK throught the movie, re-inserting the Pattren (of the inverse telecine) again and again when needed.

What I wanted to know is if anyone knows something that can do this automatically because it takes alot of time...

ABS

ASHY  2002-07-23 11:50:01 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Now you have explained it correctly I may be able to help. These damn movies are notoriously difficult to encode.
That shifting of the pattern is what causes the problem.
I did have some limited success with an AVIsynth an a couple of filters I used with it.
One particular function was the Telecide option in the 'decomb' filter which allowed AVisynth to automatically determine what to do with the frame, drop it or keep it and seems like it should be able to handle this situation with no problem and doesn't rely on any particular pattern.
It worked up to a certain point and was the best solution I could find without like you say manually setting the pattern for IVTC.
It did return the movie back to progressive, but there were still artifacts present, such as a jerk in the movie every now and then.

Maybe you could give it a try, you may have more success than I.
Here are some links explaining what it does. There is also a good help file that comes with the filter when you download it.
http://www.doom9.org/decomb.htm

Let me know how you get on if you decide to try it.

ASHY

Question - TE25 - Is there any way to compress .vob files? No.25376
Drivnvws  2002-07-23 01:23:02 ( ID:.stz9egjbkj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Does anyone know if there is any way to compress .vob files so that an over-sized ripped DVD can fit onto a 4.7 gig DVD-RW?

Question - TE25 - Determining what Mpeg a file is No.25371
Drivnvws  2002-07-22 22:54:24 ( ID:.stz9egjbkj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

After checking the properties of a mpeg file, that does not show what type of mpeg it is (1, 2, or 4), how do I find out what type of an mpeg it is? Thanks again, Emily.

osiris  Home )  2002-07-22 23:00:34 ( ID:x.rmf5quc.f )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Windows media player and windows properties are lame.

I installed PowerDVD (which came with my Dell), it's much more helpful. I've heard that WinDVD also provides good information.

Drivnvws  2002-07-22 23:11:44 ( ID:.stz9egjbkj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Using powerDVD, how do I find the properties of a file?

osiris  Home )  2002-07-22 23:17:58 ( ID:x.rmf5quc.f )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Start the movie, right click, choose configuration and then the information tab.

Non-intuitive? Well...

ASHY  2002-07-22 23:47:30 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Download this program. It will tell you everything you need to know about your MPEG. http://www.tecoltd.com/bitratev.htm

Also be aware that MPEG4 is an AVI format.

ASHY

Question - TE25 - Burning DVD to DVD-rw No.25351
Drivnvws  2002-07-22 22:48:33 ( ID:.stz9egjbkj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi, After ripping a 5.3 gig DVD to my pc (as .vob files), how do I fit all 5.3 gigs onto a single 4.7 gig DVD-RW? Do I have to compress the files, and if so with what programs? Or are there other methods for me to use. Thanks for any help any of you can give me, Emily.

Minion  2002-07-22 23:20:32 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You can"t put 5.3 gigs on a dvd+rw you will have to re-encode the vob"s to a mpeg2 file then use authoring software to make chapters and menues and burn it to dvd+rw, the reason that there are over 4.7gb on the stope bought dvd is because they are dual layered dvd"s and hold over 9gb, you can use dvd2avi to make a d2v project file from the vob files then encide the d2v file into a mpeg2 file with Tmpgenc useing one of the dvd templates or your own settings if you wish.......

ASHY  2002-07-22 23:58:52 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Griff should be able to help you with this. It may be possible copy this DVD without re-encoding using IFOEDIT. There maybe streams contained within the VOBS which you do not need. IFOEDIT can remove these streams and rebuild your VOBS thus reducing the file size and allow you to fit on to a regular DVD-RW.

ASHY

Dee Tent  2002-07-23 01:09:08 ( ID:nolpi9uk6dg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

One of many paths from rip to burn:

1. SmartRipper (already done by you). Selecting the Info file as part of the rip is a useful addition. Selecting a single VOB costs you nothing and allows for simpler management of files.

2. DVD2AVI. Create a Project file (.d2v) with the default frame rate of 29. At the same time, create the audio file (usually the .wav file generated from the Dolby downmix option - this will require experimentation - the .info file from step one will guide you to the track.)

3. TMPGenc. Use the wizard to create the MPG-2 file for DVD. Probably the only thing you need to change is the motion detection which should be either high or very high.

4. Nero or Ulead Movie Factory (a superior authoring/burning tool). Just follow directions.

Dee Tent

Dee Tent  2002-07-23 01:17:41 ( ID:nolpi9uk6dg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Addendum to step 4. The Info file from step 1 will also tell you what Aspect Ratio to use. Typically 4:3 or 16:9. Set the AR to that in the Info file then use Full Screen Keep Aspect Ratio as the Video Arrange method.

If the aspect ratio is still not correct (i.e., Carmen Diaz looks like Gimili) you may have to set it manually to something like 704 x 390.

Good Luck

Dee Tent

Griff  2002-07-23 09:25:58 ( ID:hrx7erbzyah )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The simplest rout to ripping a DVD onto DVD-R, is to strip out unwanted streams from the VOBs.

Get yourself a copy of IFOEdit and open up VIDEO_TS.IFO. Have a look at the streams, and decide which ones you don't need. For instance, there might be both Dolby Digital and DTS sound streams; you may decide that you only want the Dolby Digital, so you can strip out the DTS.

After stripping out all the unwanted streams, it's more than likely that the original 5.3Gig DVD will have fallen to below 4.5Gb.

On the other hand, DVD-Rs are now as low as 80p (UK) (http://www.valuemedia.co.uk) so why not just split the movie over 2 DVD-Rs. To do this, use the "create IFO" option in IFOEdit.

If you jump back about 20 pages in this BBS, (or do a search for IFOEdit) you'll find step-by-step instruction of how to use IFOEdit. And if you're really up for it, go to http://www.doom9.net, this site has the ultimate IFOEdit guide.

Griff

ASHY  2002-07-23 10:31:18 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Griff is absolutely right. Why bother re-encoding when IFOEDIT can do it in less time and produce a better output. As he says most if not all DVD's will fit on to a regular DVD-R once the unwanted streams and menus are stripped out and is precisely what you will be doing if you re-encode. So why bother re-encoding.
Do check out the link at Dooms site for IFOEDIT. It's has an easy to understand step by step guide.

By the way thanks for the link to the cheap DVD-R disks Griff. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and buying that DVD burner. What's kind of quality can I expect from these disks?

Cheers,
ASHY

ASHY  2002-07-23 10:31:23 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Griff is absolutely right. Why bother re-encoding when IFOEDIT can do it in less time and produce a better output. As he says most if not all DVD's will fit on to a regular DVD-R once the unwanted streams and menus are stripped out and is precisely what you will be doing if you re-encode. So why bother re-encoding.
Do check out the link at Dooms site for IFOEDIT. It's has an easy to understand step by step guide.

By the way thanks for the link to the cheap DVD-R disks Griff. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and buying that DVD burner. What kind of quality can I expect from these disks?

Cheers,
ASHY

Dee Tent  2002-07-23 16:39:32 ( ID:nolpi9uk6dg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

There are several reasons to compress the original DVD files:

1. In spite of what is said here, most VOB sets from the main DVD feature exceeds the DVD-R limit of 4.7 Meg (really 4.5 Meg with overhead files). I wish it was not so but I have not found anything to the contrary. Test: Grab a DVD, any DVD exceeding 1.7 hours main feature - Rip the main files and measure the size. I thank you, MPAA thanks you.

2. Many of those cast-off secondary features are priceless, sometimes better than the main movie. Why cast them off for the sake of a little processing time and a higher bitrate?

3000 kBPS, the default bitrate for TMPGenc DVD, seems to be ideal for the final product.

Dee Tent

ASHY  2002-07-23 16:53:31 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I sorry, but I'm gonna disagree. In my experience most DVD's I have ever ripped are usually under the 4.7gb size and that is with extra streams included, such as audio and subs. I've only ever had a few very long movies which are over this size.
Right now I have a 16:9 movie which is 1hr 57min on my drive which has only one Video and one Audio stream and no subs. This movie is 3.33gb in size, well under 4.7gb.

ASHY

Dee Tent  2002-07-23 17:05:44 ( ID:nolpi9uk6dg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

ASHY,

Maybe so, if you are doing steam processing with SmartRipper. I will revisit the stream processing and try to pull out just the main film and 384 kbs sound track.

I still would not like to miss some of the add-in features.

IFOEDIT, I found to be unintuitive and unfriendly when I tried it several weeks ago. Maybe I need to get around that.

Later.

Dee Tent

willyiam  2002-07-23 17:31:53 ( ID:nsbkh5almbg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Mark... If you are seriously thinking of going over to DVD-R burning then give a lot of thought to the actual Blank Media. Anything below a pound will give you many headaches, especially those from BulkPaq... I have tested many Freebies from different manufacturers including the latest Two Speed blanks. Some are good, some are utter crap, but they are still evolving on a daily basis. Yes, Daily!

Go here if you want to get on the Freebie bandwagon. Sign up and go to Test Reviews and get your name in FAST.

http://www.mediaforums.net/forum/index.php

ASHY  2002-07-23 17:48:23 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks Bill, will give that a go. I'm not gonna jump in just yet 'cos like you say there is the media issue. I want to know if the cheap media works ok or if I should just hold on till the prices drop.

Anybody else out there know of good quality cheap DVD media.

ASHY

ASHY  2002-07-23 17:52:53 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Dee, if it is the add ons you wish to keep then there is nothing stopping you from ripping out these for re-encoding and keeping the main film intact and then recombining using IFOEDIT or maybe use some other authoring program.

ASHY

willyiam  2002-07-23 19:48:18 ( ID:nsbkh5almbg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

>Anybody else out there know of good quality cheap DVD media.
>
>ASHY

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk They don't stock rubbish.

Griff  2002-07-23 20:14:26 ( ID:jjuoli2e8m. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Well, isn't this fun.

> Anything below a pound will give you many headaches..

I've been using Mirros V3 unbranded for months, I've had absolutely no problems with them at all. On the other hand, I have also used expensive brand DVD-Rs, lets say they begin with the letter "I", and have consistently had serious data integrity problems with them about 2/3 the way through. I suspect getting the combo of DVD-R and DVD burner right, plays an important part, but many of the so called branded DVD-Rs are overpriced rubbish - in fact the DVD-R that came with my burner had a noticeable defect on its surface, and wouldn't play in my DVD player, a Pioneer.

> 3000 kBPS, the default bitrate for TMPGenc DVD, seems to be ideal for the final product.

Not in this universe - read the ethos behind TMPGenc.

> 1. In spite of what is said here, most VOB sets from the main DVD feature exceeds the DVD-R limit of 4.7 Meg

I'd say about 50%. I've noticed the fad for including extras seems to be losing its momentum, judging by the latest releases I've seen; this can only be a good thing, since I think they're just padding. There are cases where the extras are relatively interesting, but that's only because the movie itself was so dire.

ASHY, If want to buy a DVD burner I suggest you get the latest offering from Pioneer, the DVR-104, it's reliable and comes from the company that gave us DVD-R. I'd then get a 5-pack of the v3, which will cost around a tenner, and see if they play ok in DVD player. Like I said, I've a boatload of Mirror DVD-Rs and I've not hade ONE dud.

Griff

Griff  2002-07-23 20:18:38 ( ID:jjuoli2e8m. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

And don't even think about recording DVD movies at anything other than 1x, whatever the DVD-R says on its cover - unless you like shiny round beer mats (coasters).

Griff

willyiam  2002-07-23 22:08:56 ( ID:nsbkh5almbg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Personal preference is one thing. What works for you doesn't necessarily mean it will work for everyone.

Fact: The Pioneer A04/104 is the best DVD writer.

Fact: DataSafe White Label 3rd generation DVD-R will play on any modern
standalone. (Not my preference though.)

Fact: There are more than 1000 brands of DVD-R worldwide but only five
companies who actually make them.

Fact: The only difference between a 1 or 2 speed DVD-R is the header.
(I personally have had no problems whatsoever with 2 speed.)

Fact: The prices of DVD-R are falling by the week. The DataSafe White label as
mentioned above is currently down to 89p. That's a drop of 46p in less
than 4 weeks.

It is not my intention to argue or antagonize anyone, but fact should always come before personal preferences.

Griff  2002-07-27 11:46:25 ( ID:hrx7erbzyah )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

>Fact: The Pioneer A04/104 is the best DVD writer.

Speculation.

>Fact: DataSafe White Label 3rd generation DVD-R will play on any modern
standalone. (Not my preference though.)

And you did a complete test of all brands and models?

>Fact: The only difference between a 1 or 2 speed DVD-R is the header.
(I personally have had no problems whatsoever with 2 speed.)

What happened to linear velocity vs laser power?

>It is not my intention to argue or antagonize anyone, but fact should always come before personal preferences.

I agree.

Griff

willyiam  2002-07-28 14:18:00 ( ID:nsbkh5almbg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Personal preference is one thing. What works for you doesn't necessarily mean it will work for everyone.

Fact: The Pioneer A04/104 is the best DVD writer. (For home users.)

Fact: DataSafe White Label 3rd generation DVD-R will play on any modern
standalone. (Not my preference though.)... To perfom tests on every possible combination would take many years.

Fact: There are more than 1000 brands of DVD-R worldwide but only five
companies who actually make them.

Fact: The only difference between a 1 or 2 speed DVD-R is the header.
(I personally have had no problems whatsoever with 2 speed.)... Linear velocity vs laser power does not enter the equation as far as the home user is concerned.

Fact: The prices of DVD-R are falling by the week. The DataSafe White label as
mentioned above is currently down to 89p. That's a drop of 46p in less
than 4 weeks.

It is not my intention to argue with or antagonize anyone, but fact should always come before personal preference.

Question - TE25 - Video clip to DVD, What progams to use? No.25349
Drivnvws  2002-07-22 22:39:40 ( ID:.stz9egjbkj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi, I have just encoded a video clip to DVD(using TMPGEne). I have done this before, but went from video clip to VCD, and it has worked fine, after working out a few problems. I changed the bitrate to around 4300 (to maintain high DVD quality) to keep the file size under 4 gigs and then waited the 12-13 hours the process took, looked exactly the same as when I did the VCDs, only took longer. I used Record Now DX (the software that came with the DVD writer) to burn the converted file to a DVD-RW, which took an hour. But when I put the burned DVD-RW in my DVD player, the DVD icon apeared (showing that the player recognizes the DVD), but the No Play statement appeared across the DVD window. Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong. Thank you, Emily

ASHY  2002-07-23 18:26:39 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Did you actually author this file to create the correct file structure and vobs or did you simply burn the file as is with your software.

The MPEG TMPG created needs to be authored by a DVD authoring program to create the correct file structure before burning otherwise your player won't recognize the files on it.

Here is a link to some DVD authoring programs.
http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/authoring.html

ASHY

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.