Pegasys Products BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

Pegasys Products BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 908 / 983 ]   Next > >>
Classify Product Title User name Reply Last update
Question TE25 .avi- .mpeg avi-mpeg for dummies 11 2002-04-29 12:06:00
Request TE25 Advice on "speed" needed Magic 3 2002-04-29 13:02:12
Question TE25 .avi- .mpeg avi-mpeg for dummies 2 2002-04-28 22:41:10
Question TE25 svcd color flicker Jules 0 2002-04-28 15:45:09
Question TE25 VBR auto vs VBR 2 Pass Sneed 2 2002-04-29 14:08:10
Bug report TE25 No Sound and black screen in converted video Sebzan 3 2002-04-29 14:29:58
Question TE25 DVD to Divx to DVD?? Rooster 2 2002-04-28 22:48:12
Question TE25 Subtitles disappear...help Gospel 0 2002-04-28 05:37:35
Question TE25 Stream Read Error at 100% Politburo 4 2002-04-28 22:58:49
Request TE25 Search for Highest Flicker power! Alex 5 2002-04-29 12:11:23
Question TE25 SVD Encoding Jules 2 2002-04-28 18:10:08
Question TE25 Merge MPGs produces loud squeak joining point Chance 3 2002-04-28 19:30:25

Pegasys Products BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 908 / 983 ]   Next > >>
Question - TE25 - .avi- .mpeg No.20106
avi-mpeg for dummies  2002-04-28 19:50:21 ( ID:zqtvcj9p4x2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have just converted an avi file to mpeg but when I try to play it on windows media player all i get is "an invalid media type was specified" I don't know what I did or if the mpeg messed up or what. I know the avi file works I have played it before. I tried burning it to a cd anyway to see if it would work but i only heard the sound to the movie. what showed i do??

avi-mpeg for dummies  2002-04-28 19:52:40 ( ID:zqtvcj9p4x2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

sorry I refeshed the internet explorer and it reintered this fourm sorry.

ASHY  2002-04-28 20:44:26 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Is the file MPEG2 or SVCD.
If it is you need to install a software DVD player or install an MPEG2 codec as Mediaplayer doesn't support MPEG2.

ASHY

avi-mpeg for dummies  2002-04-28 20:51:50 ( ID:zqtvcj9p4x2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

it is labled as filename.mpg but it says it is a MPEG file. so I think it is MPEG 1. do i need to make it mpeg 2 or svcd. and thanx for the help

ASHY  2002-04-28 21:22:39 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Download this program http://teco.emg.hu/bitratev/BV.EXE and open you file with it then tell me what it says as the stream type.

ASHY

avi-mpeg for dummies  2002-04-29 03:24:46 ( ID:zqtvcj9p4x2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

it says "mpeg-2 mp@ml cbr" I don't know what that means except that it is an mpeg. can you help me be able to play it??

avi-mpeg for dummies  2002-04-29 03:39:10 ( ID:zqtvcj9p4x2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have one more question? I have a dvd player that plays mpeg. should I use mpeg 2 or 1. also when I tried playing the mpeg file that I converted on the DVD player all I had was sound (which I might of said earlier).anyway what should i do. do you think it has a codes like DIVX or is it the program or what? thanx for all the help :).

Minion  2002-04-29 04:19:17 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

your info says that it is a mpeg2, mpeg2 is the format for svcd and dvd but if you are burning to cd-r svcd is what you want, first make sure your player plays svcd"s not vcd"s, and all dvd players play mpeg cuz that is what dvd is, but if your player plays svcd you have to burn your mpeg in svcd mode, with nero you can do this,you cant just burn it as a data file......maybe Ashy can help you further....

avi-mpeg for dummies  2002-04-29 04:34:42 ( ID:zqtvcj9p4x2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

ummm. I am sorry I am keep asking questions but how do you find out if the DVD player plays vcd or svcd. and If I need to burn it in svcd mode where can i get "nero"? thanx again for all the help. ^_^

Minion  2002-04-29 05:39:36 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

in the instruction manual of your dvd player it should say what it plays, it might even say on the player it self,or go to www.vcdhelp.com and they have a section on dvd players that should tell you what your player can play,mine plays everything and it costs $100 canadian,you can download "nero" from www.downloads.com or www.tucows.com it is free for 30 days and it burns vcd svcd and all audio formats and data formats and does audio and video encodeing but the video encodeing sucks, I hope this help a bit, you can e-mail me if you need more help.....see ya

ASHY  2002-04-29 12:04:48 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Right finally.
The reason your file will not play is because you have created is because you have created an MPEG2 SVCD.

Windows media player doesn't come with native support for MPEG2.
You will need to install an MPEG2 codec or the better route is to install a DVD software player such as WINDVD as some of the MPEG2 codecs have problems with aspect ratio sizes in mediaplayer.

Download and install this codec http://www.kehuelga.org/video/dvd/app/freedvd.zip and open your file in windows mediplayer 6.4 not 7 or 8.

The only real true way to find if your DVD players supports SCVD is to encode a movie with the SVCD template and burn it in NERO with the SVCD option.

If it works, fine. If not there may be a way around it, but you will have to try it first.

ASHY

ASHY  2002-04-29 12:06:00 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Oh by the way the link for NERO is http://www.nero.com

ASHY

Request - TE25 - Advice on "speed" needed No.20102
Magic  2002-04-28 19:45:19 ( ID:pfq83xuuzzl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'm going to be upgrading from my lowly P3-450MHz system but I would like some advice on the best route.

I'm practically sold on the Athlon XP 1800+ processor because it's a LOT cheaper than the equiv. speed P4. Is there really a lot of difference between the two when encoding with TGMPEnc?

Also what other areas would help speed up the process of DVD/VHS to VCD. Will adding more RAM help (I'm aiming to start with 256Mb PC333 DDR) - does hard drive speed make much difference? Does TMPGEnc use, or does it plan to make use of, hardware MPEG decoding - would a GFX card with hardware MPEG such as the ATI RADEON help?

Any advice welcomed. Thanks.

joe  2002-04-29 05:57:06 ( ID:pxl206fuy7j )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

check out vcdhelp.com
look in "convert"
hozay

ASHY  2002-04-29 13:00:55 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The two main things are Processor speed and Memory.
I have a pentium4 with 256 of DDR 266 and an IBM 7200rpm drive and upgraded from a P3 450 myself.
A friend has an Athlon 1.4 with 512mb of sdram with the same drive.

To be honest there isn't much of a speed differnce between the two even though I have the faster memory. My machine encodes a few frames faster that's all and I'm sure the Athlon XP 1800+ with DDR333 will be just as fast if not faster than my Pentium.

So if your happy with Athlon, I'd say go for it. You can expect a dramatic increase in encoding speed. At least 4x faster.

Hardrive speed only really comes into it when you are mutiplexing, but would probably give you a slight increase in speed though, due to the faster access time because don't forget you hardrive is trying to read and write to the same drive at the same time. Which is making the read head move between two points which will slow it down slightly. The better option is read from one drive and write to another.

I'm not sure about the hardware MPEG2 encoding, but I would stick with the software encoding as I believe the quality is higher and probably just as fast on a super fast machine such as the Athlon XP.

ASHY

ASHY  2002-04-29 13:02:12 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Sorry I should have said I have a P4 1.7ghz.

ASHY

Question - TE25 - .avi- .mpeg No.20099
avi-mpeg for dummies  2002-04-28 19:40:30 ( ID:zqtvcj9p4x2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have just converted an avi file to mpeg but when I try to play it on windows media player all i get is "an invalid media type was specified" I don't know what I did or if the mpeg messed up or what. I know the avi file works I have played it before. I tried burning it to a cd anyway to see if it would work but i only heard the sound to the movie. what showed i do??

Minion  2002-04-28 22:21:29 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

get dvd playing software,media player doesn"t play mpeg"s very well even when you have the right codec........

ASHY  2002-04-28 22:41:10 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What's with the double post.
The question has been answered in the other post.

ASHY

Question - TE25 - svcd color flicker No.20098
Jules  2002-04-28 15:45:09 ( ID:sbezb30us6n )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have encoded a avi to svcd but when I play it back on dvd4 or if I play it on my standalone dvd player on my television I get this whole picture color flicker,(like the whole picture goes in and out in color). The only info I could find talks about interlace and non-interlace. On tmpgenc settings under video..encode mode came up "interlace" and my video source type came up non-interlace. These settings came up on their own. Is this correct and if not how do I know what to put in these fields. If this is not the problem does anyone know how to fix it?

I am encoding using the svcd ntsc template then unlocking so I can change the bitrate and audio bitrate settings...and of course I am trying to use ghost filter and noise filter.

Thanks
Jules

Question - TE25 - VBR auto vs VBR 2 Pass No.20095
Sneed  2002-04-28 12:37:44 ( ID:lnnj4cwqxo2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

My avi files often contain 2.5 hours of video. With VBR (2 Pass) I use an average 3500kbps, minimum 2000kbps, and maximum 5000kbps and that compreses the file to 3.65GB. But it takes 11 hours. I want to use VBR (Auto), but I don't have the option to set an average kbps, so I use 2000 minimum and 5000 maximum with a quality setting of 50. But my resulting mpeg2 is 5.07GB. All these are at the normal Motion Search Precision setting. Here are my questions.
1)Is there any way to set an average kbps for the VBR (auto) function?
2)Why does the VBR (auto) result in such a larger mpeg2 file than VBR (2 pass)?

Minion  2002-04-29 04:37:05 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

no you can"t set the average bitrate with vbr auto...and the file is bigger cuz with 2 pass the info is collected in the passes as to how much bit rate to allocate to each frame, were with vbr auto the bitrate is allocated all in the same pass and doesn"t have the info to distribute the bits more efficiently so there are more bits per frame, it is the passes that bring down the bitrate with 2 pass vbr,and the fact that the bitrate fluctuates for each frame...I hope I explained this ok....

ASHY  2002-04-29 14:08:10 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Is there a point to the encoding to MPEG. For example are you encoding to put the files on DVD or are you planning to put that blooming big file on god knows how many Cd's???!*

If you are just encoding to keep the file on your hardrive then I don't see the point, but thats up to you.
My advice is to use the 'Constant quality' setting and not the 'Automatic VBR(CQ)' setting. This is the reason for your larger file size.
The 'Constant quality' setting will give you much the same results as the 2 pass.
Use the same Maximum and Minimum settings and set your slider to 70 or 80. This should give you what you want.

ASHY

Bug report - TE25 - No Sound and black screen in converted video No.20091
Sebzan  2002-04-28 10:34:45 ( ID:t.pdb7megpj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi
i wanted to convert a beautiful mind(avi) to svcd(mpg). but when i started converting, i only got a black screen in tmpeg. i finished it and in the end there really was no sound and only a black screen. i tried it with another movie and it worked. but i must have this film as svcd and now i want to know, how i can convert abm with tmpeg.
thanks

Dave C  2002-04-28 12:31:10 ( ID:kprzfd7mjn. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I got the same problem, the strange thing was i tried the same file with the same settings on another PC and it worked fine. I think i must have been something to do with the PC set up. Not really sure though

Minion  2002-04-28 22:25:39 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

All I can think of is that your avi file might be divx5,if it is this is your problem ,divx5 is not supported dy "tmpgenc"......

ASHY  2002-04-29 14:29:58 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I must explain this to everyone.

There are no Divx files supported by TMPG, be it 3.11 4.12 or 5.
The Divx file is opened using the Directshow engine which is included with DirectX. For DirectX to be able to read these files is must have a codec installed.
TMPG merely makes are request to the direct show engine to open this file using the Divx codec to decode it. It doesn't matter what the file is encoded in as long as the required codec is installed so the Directshow engine can read the file and pass it on to TMPG.

Therefore the problem is not the codec itself or TMPG, but a problem with setup on your machine.
It is more likely that there are more codecs installed on your sytem which are causing the problem and/or corrupt or early version of DirectX.

For full compatibilty with DIVX 5 DirectX 8.1 is needed.
So anybody with Windows Me/98 or Windows 2000 needs to upgrade to the latest Version of DirectX.

I hope this clears up the myth about TMPG not supporting DIVX5 because I mean after all it works fine on my system, two of my friends systems and many other systems out there.

ASHY

Question - TE25 - DVD to Divx to DVD?? No.20088
Rooster  2002-04-28 07:46:32 ( ID:lbmzvc69ysm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

How can I rip a DVD to my computer? Divx or how? And then burn it to a blank DVD disk.

T-227  2002-04-28 19:16:11 ( ID:oeken0sigtm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

http://clonead.cjb.net go there

ASHY  2002-04-28 22:48:12 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Go here for complete advice on the best way to do it.
http://www.vcdhelp.com/sefy/?id=ClassicalGuide.html

ASHY

Question - TE25 - Subtitles disappear...help No.20087
Gospel  2002-04-28 05:37:35 ( ID:a/39xujikqo )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi, I just tried Tmpgenc for the first time and its extremely fast and no quality loss! but here is my question:
I turned a subtitled movie into mpeg1 and it did it but the subtitles were gone...how can I convert this subtitled AVI into MPEG1 without losing the subtitles?

Thank you very much in advance ..keep up the awesome work :)

Question - TE25 - Stream Read Error at 100% No.20082
Politburo  2002-04-28 04:53:34 ( ID:timdfjjbdja )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I am trying to encode .avi to mpeg-2 and every time at 100% it says stream reading error. I did have the temporary pointed to the C drive which only had 650 MB free, but changed that to D which has 7 GB free and still get stream read error. I tried changing the source range to a few seconds before the end of the actual file and still got an error. What am I doing wrong?

Minion  2002-04-28 07:06:45 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have gotten that error at the end of encodeing a couple of times but I burned then to cd anyway and there wasn"t any problem,have you tried playing the mpeg on your computer? if it seems fine it probably is fine.........

Politburo  2002-04-28 17:08:13 ( ID:timdfjjbdja )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

it does not play fine. WMP tries to download a codec and fails. If I encode a small portion in the middle, I can play that fine...

Minion  2002-04-28 22:29:56 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

if you have encoded it more than once and have the same results then the problem is probably with your avi file ,it might have some corrupted frames in it, try makeing a copy with virtua dub and try encodeing that......

ASHY  2002-04-28 22:58:49 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Run it through the latest virtual dub and check for bad frames.
If it finds them try frameserving your file to TMPG with virtualdub, but I think if you are getting to 100% then obviously the error is at the very end.

Or,

Try trimming off a couple of minutes from the end with the 'MPEG tools'
My advice would be to do a test. Set the source range filter to start 10 mins from the end and to finish 2 mins from the end.
If the encode completes with no problem then all you have to do is keep trimming the end source range value to find where you need to stop the encode then when you know the value go ahead and encode the whole movie.

ASHY

Request - TE25 - Search for Highest Flicker power! No.20076
Alex  2002-04-28 03:12:33 ( ID:84wcipvtpjl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

It would be WONDERFUL if we can let TMPGEnc to search through the whole
AVI once.. and gather all flicker power... then we can get a list of frames
with more than 100,000 flicker power, or more than (user specify) flicker
power. Therefore we can try and think about how to make a good AVI without
Interlace.. (when the pattern is all weird etc..)

Minion  2002-04-28 04:14:31 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

to make a non interlaced avi just make a non interlaced avi(progressive),or use the deinterlace feature,and you can search through the whole movie and see where the interlace lines are the worst and adjust the settings acordingly,just double click on deinterlace in the advanced settings page and a window will come up and you can scan through the whole movie and adjust the settings to fix the interlace lines......

Alex  2002-04-28 05:19:44 ( ID:84wcipvtpjl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

ewww dude :) IVTC is the way to go..
Deinterlace gives you that Blurry Bilinear effect.. :(

http://toolbox.sgi.com/TasteOfDT/documents/video/lurker/fields/fields.html

have a read there.

It'd be truly nice if I wont't have to search thru manually.

ASHY  2002-04-28 18:02:10 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I thought TMPG already had some sort sort of automatic setting for IVTC.
As far as I know this is what the 'Auto setting' is for.
Just find out what the field order is first using the de-interlace option.
Once you have the field order, turn off the de-interlace option and select '24fps (flicker prioritized)' in IVTC and choose 'automatic' as the interlace setting then click start and TMPG should scan the movie and create the settings.
Either that or I'm just not understanding the question.

ASHY

Alex  2002-04-29 04:54:26 ( ID:84wcipvtpjl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Yes yes! you did not misunderstood my question.
I'm requesting for such function is due to what you've described is only
applicable if the WHOLE DVD is telecined with that single pattern. If the pattern, change however, then it's an entirely different story.

Many Animes has such pattern change behaviour, since many cutting and editing
has occured. I'm just requesting such function so we can have easily identify
the points in where the cutting has occured..

I wonder if the author checks here? :P

ASHY  2002-04-29 12:11:23 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I think I understand what you are getting at now, but it wasn't that clear in the original question
I've never really dealt with anime movies so i can't really give any advice. Maybe Hori will check in, but i doubt it.

ASHY

Question - TE25 - SVD Encoding No.20073
Jules  2002-04-27 23:38:24 ( ID:sbezb30us6n )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I am now burning my movies in svcd format but I still am confused about certain things,
1) I downloaded bitrite to see what I should be setting the bitrate at and it tells me for a 60 min movie it should be at approx. 1650kps but when I do that 1% of the file is 8,500 megs which will be 850 megs when I am through, and I am trying to fit it on 700mb cdr which I know that I can get close to 800 mgs on it but not 850! So I am encoding at 1480 kps to make it fit but why is the program telling me to go higher when it will end up being too big?
How can I up the bitrate without making the file too big?
Are there any other bitrate calculaters that are more accurate?

2) If my dvd player which is now JVC 300 can play svcd can I also play xvcd and is this better than svcd?

thanks
Jules

Minion  2002-04-28 01:12:35 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

you can"t acurately measure the size of the encoded mpeg file by seeing what the file size is at 1 percent,but if you want to be sure that 60min fits on a cd go 1600kbs and 128kbs on the audio,that is the settings i use and it works every time,if you use automatic vbr your file size will be even smaller without loosing any real quality.....

ASHY  2002-04-28 18:10:08 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Jules creating a SVCD at 1480 kps would be pointless and defeats the object of MPEG2 as the quality will be low.
This is the reason not use CBR for MPEG2 as MPEG2to is inherently a variable bitrate format. The templates I have sent you should give high quality at a reasonable file size.
In fact the templates will create a 100min movie on two 80 mins disks at high quality with hardly any visible Macroblocks.

ASHY

Question - TE25 - Merge MPGs produces loud squeak joining point No.20069
Chance  2002-04-27 21:46:59 ( ID:v9iefiqpg5r )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Whenever I try to merge two MPGs together using MPEG Tools -> Merge and Cut, I get a split-second loud squeak or shriek at the point where the two files are joined. Exporting the audio and loading it with GOldwave reveals a brief spike in the audio at that point. Is there any way to avoid this, or fix it?

Demultiplexing, converting .mp2 to .wav, reducing that point to 0db in the .wav, converting to .mp3, and re-multiplexing causes the audio to get out of sync badly.

Both MPGs were captured with the exact same specs in VirtualDub and encoded separately with the exact same specs in TMPGEnc.

Help!!!!

-Chance

=========================

willyiam  2002-04-27 23:21:29 ( ID:nsbkh5almbg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

After you have entered the files to Merge make sure to click the "Correct" button on the right hand side of the window and OK it. Works most of the time but there are other underlying causes for beeps.

This question has been asked many times. It would save time and effort if a Search was made before asking a question.

Chance  2002-04-28 06:41:35 ( ID:v9iefiqpg5r )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Before I asked this question, I did searched on "squeak", "join", "merge", "combine", "combining mpg", and "noise". None of the results I got said anything about this type of problem.

I appreciate your help, but I am getting tired of the Search Police that seem to hang out on all the boards these days...

ASHY  2002-04-28 19:30:25 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have been looking into this problem and your right it does seem to coincide where there are large bitrate spikes.
Somepeople will notice that when they cut their MPEGS, at the end of the cut point there is a sudden Bitrate spike.
This doesn't happen on every cut only on some cuts and the spikes can go up or down.
The only reason I can deduce for this is down to the problem that MPEGs were never meant to be edited.
Therefore what it seems is happening is that it depends where in the GOP the movie is cut as the bitrate spikes can be corrected by just shifting the cut a few frames up or down.
This can be checked with bitrate viewer.
On a test file I had, when I cut the MPEG in a certain place at the very end of the cut the bitrate would spike dramatically, but if I shifted the cut a few frames, say 4, the spike dissapeared.

In conclusion this is probably what the 'Correct' button does. It makes sure that two GOPs are joined correctly avoiding the spike.

So my advice to correct the problem is to check the cut with Bitrate viewer first for spikes, if you see one shift the cut a few frames.

ASHY

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.