Pegasys Products BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

Pegasys Products BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 782 / 983 ]   Next > >>
Classify Product Title User name Reply Last update
Question TE25 How can I get tmpeg to open a .DAT file Stoka 2 2002-07-20 16:18:24
Question TE25 Xvcd Msquared 4 2002-07-21 16:56:53
Question TE25 how to "rip" the widescreen and not the full screen from dvd with that option when played houseman 7 2002-07-22 16:02:07
Question TE25 It Thinks its encoded but has not Mike 0 2002-07-20 07:43:59
Question TE25 No Audio when converting avi to mpeg Ken 2 2002-07-21 00:19:16
Question TE25 Converted AVI to MPEG, sound but no Picture! D.Moore 3 2002-07-20 06:40:06
Bug report TE25 MPEG-2 encoder time-out on 146.free Gregg cohen 1 2002-07-20 04:35:45
Request TE25 please help joshcarlson 2 2002-07-20 18:56:21
Question TE25 GOP error in DVDit guruper 6 2002-07-20 16:36:54
Question TE25 Errorfree framerate conversion geohei 11 2002-07-29 17:56:34
Question TE25 new progress bar for mpeg-tools Dieter Ferdinand 2 2002-07-21 22:11:41
Question TE25 Interlace or Noninterlace blackzero 1 2002-07-19 19:52:07

Pegasys Products BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 782 / 983 ]   Next > >>
Question - TE25 - How can I get tmpeg to open a .DAT file No.25201
Stoka  2002-07-20 12:15:49 ( ID:yslv2poqgfr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi ..I'm new so bare with me
I want to sharpen up a VCD..its a little out of focus and is in .DAT format and tmpeg says the format is unsupported can/will it work or am i wasting my time?

stoka

ASHY  2002-07-20 16:04:35 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

It should do, I never have any problems opening DAT files.
Try running the file through the simple multiplexer in the MPEGtools and then load it into TMPG.

ASHY

Markpjones  2002-07-20 16:18:24 ( ID:byfgb8hg5fn )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

It's opened them for me too-should work.

Question - TE25 - Xvcd No.25196
Msquared  2002-07-20 10:53:27 ( ID:.5.s4iefp9f )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

How do you convert an avi file to a xvcd file using TMPG ?

ASHY  2002-07-20 12:00:43 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

An XVCD is simply a VCD which doesn't conform to VCD standards. Most DVD players will have no problem with these disks and this allows you to create better VCD's by raising the bitrate and/or increasing the resolution of the MPEG.
To do this you first need to unlock the settings in TMPG. Look in your template folder and find a file called 'unlock.mcf' and double click it.
This will unlock the settings allowing you to choose whichever setting you require.

ASHY

mh2360  2002-07-21 00:16:26 ( ID:ujv2ebjxawc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Have a look here for some very good XVCD tempaltes:

http://www.kvcd.net/

Dee Tent  2002-07-21 15:38:28 ( ID:ugi5w/gv1yk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks everyone.

The question here was WHY not how.

Stepping around this problem can be done easily in a variety of ways: 1) Split SmartRipper's chapters (VOBs) into two pieces and treat them as separate DVDs. 2) Reduce the bitrate of TmpGenc to force a smaller MPG-2 size. 3) Use TmpGenc's Advanced|Source Range and create two MPG-2 files from batch (this one is twitchy because it can knock the audio out of sync).

My question was only to fill in a knowledge gap: What is the limitation that TMPGenc is warning me about and which Nero demonstrates so fully?

It is NOT a disk space problem. I have 30 GB left over after the complete processing. I've seen low disk space errors and they are not the same.

Whatever the problem, TMPGenc is set to raise an error message whenever the expeced MPG-2 file exceeds 4 GB. Why is it so?

Dee Tent

willyiam  2002-07-21 16:56:53 ( ID:nsbkh5almbg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

It's just a warning to lessen the chances of you making expensive coasters
when the DVD file size is larger than 4Gb.

Don't use the wizard if you want to avoid the warnings.

Question - TE25 - how to "rip" the widescreen and not the full screen from dvd with that option when played No.25188
houseman  2002-07-20 08:34:07 ( ID:yagkro17hy2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

this dvd and some others i have come across when ripped with smartripper and then used in dvd2avi it is only in full screen..... but the dvd has the option when played to choose either widescreen or fullscreen.. i want to use the widescreen. is there someway to chooose only the wide format when going to make a project in dvd2avi or is there someway in smartripper to rip the wide format

ASHY  2002-07-20 12:09:47 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'm not sure what you mean. All DVD's are ripped to wide screen with DVD2AVI assuming the movie is widescreen in the first place. Unless you have resized the movie using the resize filter in DVD2AVI.

It is your settings in TMPG that are causing the problem. You must select '16:9 display' as the source aspect ratio in TMPG and 4:3 as the output ratio. This should give you a widescreen movie.

ASHY

ASHY  2002-07-20 12:15:53 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Oh and make sure you select 'Full screen(keep aspect ratio)' as the Video arrange method.

ASHY

Griff  2002-07-20 16:17:21 ( ID:hrx7erbzyah )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

> I'm not sure what you mean. All DVD's are ripped to wide screen with DVD2AVI > assuming the movie is widescreen in the first place

Sorry Ashy, but this is a smartripper issue. Since the dvd's got the option to choose between wide and fullscreen, it contains two main movie streeams: one 4:3 and the other 16:9. You chose "movie" mode in Smartripper, which then ripped out the first movie stream it came to, the 4:3 stream.

There are several ways to get around this, but I'd personally choose "backup" mode in smartripper to dump the entire DVD on your hard disk. Id then use IFOEdit to rip out the 4:3 stream; this would result in the VOBs being rebuilt by IFOEdit, and DVD2AVI would then lock onto the 16:9 stream.

If you need any info on how to use IFOEdit got to doom9's excellent website http://www.doom9.net It's not easy to use but will solve the problem.

Griff

ASHY  2002-07-20 17:17:01 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hmm, I have never come across a DVD with two main movie streams before. I wasn't aware there were DVD's like this. Thing is I don't see the point seeing as most DVD players have a zoom option. It just seems like a pointless thing to do unless it has been specifically created using a Pan and Scan editing machine to show the most important parts of the movie.

Thanks for the info Griff you learn something new everyday.

ASHY

willyiam  2002-07-21 00:40:22 ( ID:nsbkh5almbg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

SmartRipper is aptly named:
If the first Program Chain is 4:3 then look for another Chain of the same length and select it....Why go to all the bother of ripping the complete DVD and then running it through an editor! What a waste of time!

A few minutes reading Help Files can cure most problems, in any software. But there again, who bothers to read help files anyway?

Griff  2002-07-22 09:48:20 ( ID:hrx7erbzyah )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

> unless it has been specifically created using a Pan and Scan editing machine to show the most important parts of the movie.

Correct. The 16:9 widescreen is an optional extra, it's smaller in size than the 4:3, because of those horizontal black bars which compress very well temporally (P and B frames bon't need any info on the) and spatially (jpeg like compression of the I frames).

> SmartRipper is aptly named

Unfortunately Smartripper's not THAT smart, when presented with multiple movie streams it'll give you the first. You can try looking for another chain of a similar size, and you may quite easily succeed. However, what you end up with may prove interesting viewing.

If you would like to work on an example, get a copy of "Futurama Vol 1"; there's only one way to rip this DVD...

Griff

ASHY  2002-07-22 16:02:07 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I don't know if this will be relevant to this case, but whenever I have problems with Smartripper, I have always managed to solve it by using VSTRIP.

I'm sure VSTRIP would allow easy identification of both streams and then allow the choice for either one to be ripped without any problems as it also allows the IFO to be examined and used for ripping.

ASHY

Question - TE25 - It Thinks its encoded but has not No.25187
Mike  2002-07-20 07:43:59 ( ID:zsvsj8s7lrk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have captured an MPEG2 file with ATI all in Wonder and am converting it to VCD but TMPGEnc processes the MPEG2 in a matter of seconds does not come up with an error and has not actually converted the file !!!

Any ideas?

Question - TE25 - No Audio when converting avi to mpeg No.25184
Ken  2002-07-20 06:32:35 ( ID:kbtch5zqeww )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

when i try to convert some avi files for vcd the audio is not recognised but with others it is? what is the problem?

Minion  2002-07-20 07:20:23 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You probably have to extract the audio to a wav file with "virtual dub" or if the audio is AC3 then you can use an "AC3 decoder" to convert the audio.Tmpgenc only supports certain audio formats and some of the ones it does support it has problems with like any compressed audio source...........

mh2360  2002-07-21 00:19:16 ( ID:ujv2ebjxawc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What you have is probably a Divx file, try using this codec pack...

http://www.btinternet.com/~nimosiro/

Question - TE25 - Converted AVI to MPEG, sound but no Picture! No.25180
D.Moore  2002-07-20 02:08:33 ( ID:w7nedf9tbkf )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi, I'm sorry I'm a Noob. I have a .AVI file that requires divx to run on my computer. When I convert it with TMPGenc and then play it on my DVD player, or try to open the mpg on my computer, I only get sound. What am I doing wrong?

Minion  2002-07-20 04:40:31 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You probably just need the priority of your "direct show file reader" to be raised, go to "options" to "enviromental settings" to "vfapi plugins" and raise the "direct show" to "2".Usually if you can see the movie in the screen of tmpgenc while encodeing then the file should have video....

mh2360  2002-07-21 00:20:23 ( ID:ujv2ebjxawc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

install this codec pack...

http://www.btinternet.com/~nimosiro/

KASEI  2002-07-20 06:40:06 ( ID:clv7x4vuxeo )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

when i try to burn a mpeg says taht i need to put a gop header sequence but i know that is with the tmpg encoder but what numbers i need to put in the gop structure.

Number of I picture in GOP: &iquest;?
Number of P picture in GOP: &iquest;?
Number of B picture in GOP: &iquest;?

Output interval of sequence headers: &iquest;?
MAX number of frames in a GOP: &iquest;?

Bug report - TE25 - MPEG-2 encoder time-out on 146.free No.25178
Gregg cohen  2002-07-20 00:54:39 ( ID:ydl3h9zwif2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi all!
I just downloaded the 146.free version of tmpgenc and am having problems since it seems to think that time has run out for it to use the MPEG-2 conversion. Did I miss something here? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

gc

Minion  2002-07-20 04:35:45 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

It does that when you have had other versions of tmpgenc installed on your system before and the information is still in your registry.I guess they do that because they only want you to use one demo version then have to buy it..

Request - TE25 - please help No.25175
joshcarlson  2002-07-20 00:50:39 ( ID:axpvng.1ndg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

hello.

Im sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I'm a real novice. Is there a way to convert divx files to some format that I may burn to disc and play in a dvd player at home to watch with my TV?

Minion  2002-07-20 04:31:45 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Well that is what "tmpgenc" is for....I"ll give you the total basic instructions.First open the program, then go to "options" to "enviromental settings" to "vfapi plugins" and raise the priority of the "Direct Show File Reader" to "2" by right clicking on it..We do this cuz you sometime will get an error saying "can not open or unsupported" when you load your file..OK, now click "browze" in the video slot and choose your avi file, the audio should load with the video, now click "load" in the bottom right corner and choose the template for the format you want to encode to eg:vcd/svcd/dvd pal(europe)or ntsc(north america)ect..now you choose the output directory by clicking the "browse" in "output" then click "Start" in the top left, now tmpgenc will start chugging awway for anywere from a few hours to a few days depending on the speed of your computer and if you see your movie in the tmpgenc program window while it is encodeing then it usually means it is working , but these are very basic instructions you should go to "www.vcdhelp.com" and print a step by step manual from there cut there are lots of things that can go wrong so it is good to experiment a bunch..........good luck

joshcarlson  2002-07-20 18:56:21 ( ID:axpvng.1ndg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thank you

Question - TE25 - GOP error in DVDit No.25168
guruper  2002-07-19 23:54:20 ( ID:qm.kqyjnsza )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have a PAL AVI which I want to convert to NTSC MPG2 for authoring with DVDit PE. When trying to build the project I get the following error: Each GOP header must be preceded by a sequence header. Is this something I can alter in TMPGEnc?

Minion  2002-07-20 00:05:18 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Yes you need to have a sequence header in from of each Gop for a mpeg file to be dvd compliant, you do this by going into the settings to "gop" and where it says sequence header put that number to "1" and make sure the number of frames per gop does not excede "18" frames...But if you just loaded a "pal" avi into tmpgenc and encoded it to a "ntsc" mpeg you will have a choppy or jerky playback on your dvd player cuz tmpgenc does not do perfect frame rate conversions......

guruper  2002-07-20 00:10:11 ( ID:qm.kqyjnsza )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

OK I have to live with the loss of quality. But even if I load the default settings for DVD it keeps generating the same error. I have tried both the DVD (PAL) and the DVD (NTSC) standard settings. Strange.. I have also made sure to make new testfiles so it won't be mixed up in the DVDit project by accident.

Minion  2002-07-20 04:17:10 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Did you put a sequence header for every gop?and make sure you close all gop"s,I used to use "dvdit PE 2.5" but I was haveing the same problem as you ,it would not accept hardly any of the files I tried to author with it, but "Spruce Up" is a better program cuz it isn"t so picky, and "ulead dvd movie factory" doesn"t give thise types of errors either cuz it re-writes the header before it burns it to disk so any problems with the header It ignores.So would sugest trying a different authoring program..

ASHY  2002-07-20 10:19:30 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Try this as some picky DVD authoring programs don't like program streams.

Just de-multiplex the MPEG then load the Video and Audio seperately.

ASHY

Markpjones  2002-07-20 10:43:45 ( ID:byfgb8hg5fn )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

EXACT SAME problem with DVDit! PE for me to. I simply would accept NONE of my AVI files--not to mention the fact that Sonic's other program, MyDVD, burned the video upside down. I have since removed those worthless programs from my system. I'm with Minion, SpruceUp or Ulead is the only way to go. Spruceup is "free." It's no longer supported by the publisher but you can still get the trial version online. Ulead MovieFActory is a meager $44 online.

Griff  2002-07-20 16:36:54 ( ID:hrx7erbzyah )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

This is strange, I'm currently using MyDVD - which uses the DVDit authoring engine. I got the same error, but when I added the sequence header in TMPGEnc, I had no problems.

Which version of TMPGenc are you using? As I write, a new version has been released. Maybe you should try this.

Griff

Question - TE25 - Errorfree framerate conversion No.25156
geohei  2002-07-19 20:49:18 ( ID:s2jtz1ncbs. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

This is more or less a reposting. Some questions were partially answered already by ASHY (thanks!). In order to understand the full extent of this issue, I post everything.

--

Until recently, I thought that framerate conversions are a piece of
cake, but read this ...

The entire article belowis quite complex.I try to formulate precise
and short questions; I'd even be happy about a partial answers.

A DivX avi looks like this (from VirtualDub):

*** VIDEO ***
Resolution: 576x320
Framerate: 23.978 fps
Frames: 146071

*** AUDIO ***
Sampling rate: 44100 Hz
Preload skew: 499 samples
# of frames: 146071

*** Video questions ***

Q1. Why would someone create a weird (non-standard) framerate of
23.978 (25.000 or 23.976 are "standard").

When I use TMPGEnc to make SVCD mpg file (PAL, 25.000 fps) out of it,
I get a jerky movie (at the rate of #1.3 second). On top of it,
artefacts build up within dark areas. The rate of their occurance is
also #1.3 second.

Q2. Is this jerky movie and the artefacts due to the fact that TMPGEnc
is possibly not that good in converting framerates?

Q3. Are there options to within TMPGEnc to eliminate these jerks and
artefacts?

Regarding the framerate conversion, I gave VirtualDub a try. It made
the conversion pretty smooth. No jerks and no artefacts any more.
However, to avoid saving the file with a lossy compressor, I chose AVI
to save the file "Uncompressed RBG". The resulting file would have
exceeded my storage capacity by factor 4 (93 GB). Since the DivX
(source) is already lossy, I didn't want to insert an additional lossy
compressor between the initial DivX and the final SVCD mpg.

Q4. Which VirtualDub compressor stores a movie free of loss (if any).

Someone suggested to me already to use the "AVI Frame Rate Changer".
But this utility just changes the framerate, hence makes the movie
shorter but doesn't create new frames (like TMPGEnc and VirtualDub
does).

Q5. Where can I find manuals about TMPGEnc and VirtualDud? Their
respective homepages don^t provide such documents.

*** Audio questions ***

Whatever I tried with TMPGEnc and VirtualDub, the audio was out of
sync. I extracted the audio part using VirtualDub, which came of with
something strange. The original movie is 146071 / 23.978 = 6091.876
seconds long, while CoolEdit reports the extracted audio part being
6088.306 seconds long.

Q6. Why is there a difference of 3.570 seconds?

Q7. What is the "Preload skew" (499 samples in this movie) in
VirtualDub?

As I said ... even partially answered questions might help already
quite a lot.

Many thanks.

ASHY  2002-07-19 22:03:06 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have already answered your questions, so check back to your original post.
You have done things completely the wrong way. Virtualdub does not compensate for frames it simply speeds up or slows down the AVI, so the resulting AVI after the conversion will play smooth, but the audio will be out of sync as the length of this doesn't change unless you use the pulldown filter which is irrelevant for your task.

As for the re-compression, this is the whole point of using AVI framerate changer. It means there is no re-compression of the AVI thus no extra space is required and no quality loss.
Also even if you do decide to use Virtualdub to change the framrate you still DO NOT need to recompress the file. It is a simple matter of choosing the 'Direct stream' copy option. The frame rate will still be changed, but no re-encoding will take place.

Also the AVI is NOT a weird frame rate, it is just slightly off what is normal by a miniscule amount. This could be for 2 reasons. One is the encoder used to create the AVI wasn't to accurate or it was deliberately changed to sync the movie with the audio.

Regarding the length of the audio difference with Virtualdub and Cool edit by 3.570 seconds. This is probaly due to the fact that your Movie and audio are indeed different lengths. Virtualdub is giving you the length of the movie itself regardless of the length of the audio within it.

Once you have extracted the audio it is then becomimg apparant that the audio is actually 3 seconds shorter than the movie itself. This could be due to the fact that the movie has been tweaked by the creator to sync it and is probably why you have the 'weird' frame rate of 23.978 fps in the first place in an effort to speed up the movie to sync it with the audio.

The best thing you can do here is trim the movie to the same length as the audio, but make sure that there is no preload skew of audio.
You can check this in the file info of Virtualdub.

If this movie has been tweaked with an audio skew and had the framerate increased to sync up the audio then you are going to find it difficult to convert and sync this movie perfectly.

If it does have a skew the best way would be to trim the movie to the exact same length as the audio. Convert the audio using the process I have outlined. Then load it all back into Virtualdub with the new wav, change the framerate and re-apply the skew setting to sync up the audio and then either frameserve that to TMPG or create a new AVI using the direct stream copy option for the video.

ASHY

Minion  2002-07-19 22:09:00 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You shouldn"t use "tmpgenc" to do the frame rate conversion for you,allthough it does a fairly good job it isn"t perfect and you Will get jerkey playback ,Doing the conversion with the frame rate converter is the only option that will give you the non-jerkey results.You can do the frame rate conversion and then load it in virtual dub and frame serve it to tmpgenc so you don"t have to re-render it..........

Minion  2002-07-19 23:30:33 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I guess we were both writeing at the same time......

geohei  2002-07-20 12:54:58 ( ID:s2jtz1ncbs. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I was posting a lengthy reply, but got the error message "The sentence is too long". I guess the entire reply was too long. You get it split apart tomorrow.

Thanks.

mh2360  2002-07-20 15:34:07 ( ID:ujv2ebjxawc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

There is a way to convert Divx files to PAL (25 fps), You will need the following tools..

Virtualdub
Headac3e (to convert any AC3 audio to WAV)
Beesweet + GUI (to convert audio to PAL rate)
Tmpgenc

Extract the audio from the Divx file, use Full processing mode for MP3/PCM audio, use direct stream copy for AC3, and convert to WAV with Headac3e.

Use Besweet to convert your WAV to the PAL rate (23.976 fps to 25 fps)

Set the frame rate in virtualdub to 25fps, select direct stream copy, no audio, Extract just the video from you divx file by saving as AVI...

You should now have a converted .WAV file and a 25fps AVI video only file.

You can now load these into Tmpgenc, and use the PAL templates..

MSN: mh2360@blueyonder.co.uk

geohei  2002-07-21 18:18:36 ( ID:s2jtz1ncbs. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

*** PART 1 ***

ASHY ... Thanks for the explanations.

The audio part is a different story which I would like to treat separetely later on. First I would like to get rid of the jerks and increase the framerate. But talking of "changing framerates" ... there are 2 different approaches:

1. The framerate conversion of VirtualDub and "AVI Frame Rate Changer" ... which simply tells the video part to play back at a certain framerate. The frames themselves are not touched, hence the duration of the video changes.

2. A "real" framerate conversion, which means that the framerate is changed and the duration of the video is kept. Hence frames are dropped or inserted. That's what TMPGEnc doe (not so well).

I initially thought that VirtualDud does 2., but in fact it is doing 1.

geohei  2002-07-21 18:19:31 ( ID:s2jtz1ncbs. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

*** PART 2 ***

--- ASHY ---
As for the re-compression, this is the whole point of using AVI framerate changer. It means there is no re-compression of the AVI thus no extra space is required and no quality loss.

Also even if you do decide to use Virtualdub to change the framrate you still DO NOT need to recompress the file. It is a simple matter of choosing the 'Direct stream' copy option. The frame rate will still be changed, but no re-encoding will take place.
--- ASHY ---

You are perfectly right. This is what I describe in 1. above. Hence the length of the movie is changing, which is again not what I want. 4.26% of speed change might is visible.

--- ASHY ---
Also the AVI is NOT a weird frame rate, it is just slightly off what is normal by a miniscule amount. This could be for 2 reasons. One is the encoder used to create the AVI wasn't to accurate or it was deliberately changed to sync the movie with the audio.

Regarding the length of the audio difference with Virtualdub and Cool edit by 3.570 seconds. This is probaly due to the fact that your Movie and audio are indeed different lengths. Virtualdub is giving you the length of the movie itself regardless of the length of the audio within it.
--- ASHY ---

A general qustion about AVIs. I checked the audio at the beginning and at the end of the movie. It begins right at the beginning and stops right at the end. Nowhere, 3.570 seconds are missing. Is the audio inside an video stream always "stretched" in order to match the video?

geohei  2002-07-21 18:20:09 ( ID:s2jtz1ncbs. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

*** PART 3 ***

Also ... is it possible to get the information about the length of the audio part of an AVI stream from VirtualDub (AFAIK, not)?

--- ASHY ---
Once you have extracted the audio it is then becomimg apparant that the audio is actually 3 seconds shorter than the movie itself. This could be due to the fact that the movie has been tweaked by the creator to sync it and is probably why you have the 'weird' frame rate of 23.978 fps in the first place in an effort to speed up the movie to sync it with the audio.
--- ASHY ---

The framnerate ratio (24.976/23.978) is not equal to the difference in sound ratio (6091.875/6088.175). This makes it hard to believe that the framerate change is for a/v sync.

--- ASHY ---
The best thing you can do here is trim the movie to the same length as the audio, but make sure that there is no preload skew of audio.
You can check this in the file info of Virtualdub.
--- ASHY ---

Does a preload skew of 499 samples mean that the audio only starts 499 samples after the movie had started already?

--- ASHY ---
If it does have a skew the best way would be to trim the movie to the exact same length as the audio. Convert the audio using the process I have outlined. Then load it all back into Virtualdub with the new wav, change the framerate and re-apply the skew setting to sync up the audio and then either frameserve that to TMPG or create a new AVI using the direct stream copy option for the video.
--- ASHY ---

But this would again mean that there is a difference in duration (and speed) of the movie (by 4.26%), right?

Is there no utility, like TMPGEnc, which does "real" framerate correction as outlined in 2. above?

Thanks again ASHY for this detailed article!

geohei  2002-07-21 18:21:07 ( ID:s2jtz1ncbs. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

*** PART 4 ***

MINION

--- MINION ---
You can do the frame rate conversion and then load it in virtual dub and frame serve it to tmpgenc so you don"t have to re-render it..........
--- MINION ---

Why would you do a frame rate conversion (e.g. with AVI Frame Rate Changer) and load it into VirtualDub first before streaming it to TMPGEnc? Would this be to sync a/v?

Thanks to both of you!

geohei  2002-07-21 18:53:53 ( ID:s2jtz1ncbs. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

--- mh2360 ---
Set the frame rate in virtualdub to 25fps, select direct stream copy, no audio, Extract just the video from you divx file by saving as AVI...

You should now have a converted .WAV file and a 25fps AVI video only file.
--- mh2360 ---

Changing the framerate using VirtualDub, you change the original duration and speed of the movie by 4.26%.

Actually ... I would like to explain why I would like to have PAL (25.000) intead of 23.976 (NTSC Film). PAL is 480x576 25 where NTSC Film is 480x480 23.976. The quality with PAL is better, and since I have a source exceeding (resolution wise) PAL, I would like to go for that format.
Another question ... are DVD player in Central Europe usually playing back 30, 29.97 and 23.976 SVCDs?

Thanks.

mh2360  2002-07-29 17:56:34 ( ID:ujv2ebjxawc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Yes it will change the rate and the duration of the movie but you wont notice it at all...

Question - TE25 - new progress bar for mpeg-tools No.25153
Dieter Ferdinand  2002-07-19 20:04:41 ( ID:t.pdb7megpj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

hello,
i use the program to convert my avi-file to mpeg1 und to multiplex the video-files with mp2 or mp3 audio-files.

i find the new progressbar for the mpeg-tool very good, but i think this future make my problems with the systemresource bigger.

after i have multiplexed one file after an onther and then i become problems to open windows or files because the system don't have more system-resources.
i close windows, but this helps only a short time.

this is a bug in windows since the first version and i hate this.
when a program is closed, the system-resources of this program can't be used from other programs.

i use windows 2000 and open always many windows, so that i must reboot the system normaly after 2 to 4 weeks, but after i used the new version of tmpgenc with the new display, i must reboot the system next day.

have some one also this problem ?

is it possible to change this future for select a progressbar or a progressdisplay with only the bytes and % without using of graphic-resources.

goodby

ASHY  2002-07-19 20:34:47 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I don't understand your problem with TMPG. If you are having a problem with system resources then that is a problem with your system not TMPG. Do you have enough RAM to start with. Also having many windows open at once and especially while encoding is a bad idea.
As for the progress bar, I wouldn't have thought this is a resource hog as the display for this should be down to your graphics card and not really processor intensive.
Ever thought of an upgrade?

Also if your problem is Windows not returning system resources to use for other programs then why not download one of the many memory managers which are designed to control this problem.

One I use which seems pretty good is Freemem Pro.

ASHY

Dieter Ferdinand  2002-07-21 22:11:41 ( ID:8rrwooxrcg. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

hello,
i know that this is a problem from windows and i will test different utilities in next time. but i think this tools can only make the problem smaller, so that i can use my pc over a longer time without reboot.

but all programs which have an intensive use of systemresources reduce the time to the next reboot. and it is not nessecary to use many systemresource for all output.

i have 512 mb ram in my workstations, that is more memory as needed, but windows use this memory for all things (harddiskcache 95% of memory, printspooler 300% of memory) and not for the running programs.
i will also need wine under linux in next time and hope, that all programs i need, i can use with this system, so that this problem will go away.

goodby

Question - TE25 - Interlace or Noninterlace No.25151
blackzero  2002-07-19 19:35:18 ( ID:luorpi5srvw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Interlace or Noninterlace

what is the differents betwean Interlace or Noninterlace i dont understand that sorry :(

jtoops  2002-07-19 19:52:07 ( ID:/3jmzjik1og )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Here is a link that gives a good explaination of interlace and non-interlace. Hope this is usefull information.

http://www.lukesvideo.com/

John

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.