Pegasys Products BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

Pegasys Products BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 97 / 983 ]   Next > >>
Classify Product Title User name Reply Last update
Question TAW4 Motion menu missing Archie 1 2012-02-09 04:25:10
Question TAW4 BLURAY DUAL AUTHORING 2D AND 3D laeeqSAJJAD 0 2014-11-28 12:56:07
Request TAW4 Unlocking DVD Menu Objects Sentinel 2 2012-02-08 12:51:09
Question TVMW5 BBS "End Action" behaviour in DivX Mode? brynn 1 2012-02-09 04:45:36
Question TVMW5 BBS .WTV files freezing during encoding raynaldo 3 2012-02-13 03:24:21
Question TME3 MPEG Editor 3 OR Video mastering Works 5 ? Beammeup 2 2012-02-08 06:21:44
Question TAW4 PPro sverkalo 4 2012-03-03 06:02:37
Question TAW4 Dual Layer burn issue Bob 8 2012-02-07 15:48:54
Question TVMW5 BBS Metadata and multi track in mov file Dario Blazevic 0 2012-02-02 19:00:51
Question TE25 nhthinh18 nhthinh18 0 2012-02-01 23:43:13
Question TAW4 Quality Alpha1 16 2012-02-03 03:31:28
Question TAW4 Don't Want Play All in Top Menu Smithee 0 2012-01-29 21:21:45

Pegasys Products BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 97 / 983 ]   Next > >>
Question - TAW4 - Motion menu missing No.65782
Archie  2012-02-08 22:18:44 ( ID:ntouvecvtvh )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

New here guys, so please be gentle with me. :-)

I have selected motion menu in the background editor and chosen a video file, which plays fine in the menu item editor, but does not show when I click OK and go back to the page editor. Nor does it show in simulation. I have checked motion menu under global menu settings too. A clue may be that there is a padlock showing next to 'background' on the left, but I can't find any way to 'unlock' it.

Also, I want text only buttons on the top menu, but picture buttons on the 'scene selection' menus. Is this possible?

tkrave  2012-02-09 04:25:10 ( ID:esk4fdefcg2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If the background is locked, it sounds like you're using one of the pre-made templates. In that case, I don't think you can animate the background, only the thumbnails or whatever you add to menu yourself.

If you create a custom menu, you can edit and animate the background. Going the custom route also lets you choose a text-only layout for the top menu and a thumbnail layout for the track menus.

Question - TAW4 - BLURAY DUAL AUTHORING 2D AND 3D No.65780
laeeqSAJJAD  2012-02-08 19:42:07 ( ID:/fxmyh5eiim )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

i want to author bluray disc 50gb.it should be dual movie 2d and 3d both.during playthe 2d movie there should be one option,when i click on remote 2d button change the movie video into 2d.same like this when i click on 3d option,change movie playback into 3d movi.how is this can be possible .i have original bluray 3d movie "three musketeers"in this movie 2d and 3d both movie.help me?

Request - TAW4 - Unlocking DVD Menu Objects No.65774
Sentinel  2012-02-08 05:44:15 ( ID:wlui0mewo.j )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'm creating a DVD menu, and I need to move and rearrange a few objects on the menu page. However, the objects are locked, and I cannot find a way to unlock them so that I can move them.

Is there a way to do this?

tkrave  2012-02-08 09:44:18 ( ID:esk4fdefcg2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Not with the pre-made templates.

You can only unlock items for custom templates.

Sentinel  2012-02-08 12:51:09 ( ID:wlui0mewo.j )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thank you!

Question - TVMW5 BBS - "End Action" behaviour in DivX Mode? No.65772
brynn  2012-02-08 02:57:54 ( ID:r1.jf7tejm6 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I am trying to emulate the behaviour of a DVD within one DivX file and this program seems to be doing the trick except for one (rather important) feature, and I hope I'm just missing something.
I have multiple pages of menus, but when each clip (movie) reaches the end, it always returns to the title menu, no matter which menu the clip was linked from in the first place - which means that to play the next clip in line, one must navigate back to that menu every time. Very frustrating, is there a way around this??
I'm hoping there is some sort of "End Action" behaviour function like in Adobe Encore which can be set for each individual clip and basically orders a function like "On clip end, return to menu x, button x"

tkrave  2012-02-09 04:45:36 ( ID:esk4fdefcg2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

It's not possible with DivX menus. I'm pretty sure this is a limitation of the DivX Ultra format.

Question - TVMW5 BBS - .WTV files freezing during encoding No.65771
raynaldo  2012-02-08 02:24:40 ( ID:bf3rdtw3zih )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

When I am encoding a Windows Media Video (recorded tv) .wtv, the encoding process completes, however, the finished video ALWAYS freezes about 15 minutes into the viewing process. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks

tkrave  2012-02-09 04:46:44 ( ID:esk4fdefcg2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

This happens with every wtv file or just one? Are you converting to DVR-MS?

raynaldo  2012-02-12 04:09:40 ( ID:cwnt0navzyh )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

This does not happen when I convert it to DVR-MS. It only happens when I load the file in its native form. It does happen with every recorded .wtv file. I was hoping to bypass DVR-MS process, but it doesn't seem like that is possible.

rafale  2012-02-13 03:24:21 ( ID:6zwxcsg33qk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have the same problem. The hotline doesn't do anything...I have the problem when WTV are in Full HD with E-AC3 sound (Dolby Digital plus)

Question - TME3 - MPEG Editor 3 OR Video mastering Works 5 ? No.65770
Beammeup  2012-02-07 23:53:35 ( ID:qwqvub9mybk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi

I just want a better MPG2 file edited and encoder.
I currently use TMPGenc DVD author 1.5 ( ancient i know )

A friend of mine is now using MPEG editor 3 and I would be happy with that, but can somebody tell me if Video Mastering Works 5 does exactly the same + a little more, or is it a different piece of software altogether

thanks
Scott

tkrave  2012-02-08 03:12:56 ( ID:esk4fdefcg2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

They are different.

The main difference is that MPEG Editor 3 has Smart Rendering, which will allow you to edit your MPEG-1/2 video without having to re-encode it on output. If you only need to cut out scenes, MPEG Editor 3 should be good for you.

With Video Mastering Works 5, you will always have to re-encode the entire video when you output, even if you are outputting to the same format and specs.
However, TVMW5 allows you to do more during the editing, such as apply filters, overlay video, add transitions, captions, subtitles, animation, etc. You will be able to do way more with TVMW5, but you will always have to do a full encode at output.

Download the trials first and see which suits your needs better.

Beammeup  2012-02-08 06:21:44 ( ID:qwqvub9mybk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks for that info. I'll be getting MPEG Editor 3 for its smart rendering feature. I have the latest Vegas for the full blown stuff.
Cheers
Scott

Question - TAW4 - PPro No.65759
sverkalo  2012-02-07 03:26:34 ( ID:fvrx6aqzkj2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I usually work with Avid but when I export an Mpeg2 within Premiere Pro and then dropping this to Authoring Works it hangs for some time and it opens after some minutes.

This is not the case when I go from QT (Avid) to Mastering Works 5 to produce an mpeg2 and then to Authoring.

sverkalo  2012-02-07 03:27:26 ( ID:fvrx6aqzkj2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Also the simulation takes some minutes to start.

Smithee  2012-02-07 11:27:40 ( ID:u0b9yazpcdg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I've exported MPEG-2 from Premiere Elements (not Pro) and they work just fine in TAW4, showing the files will be smart rendered. Premiere Elements 8.0 uses the MainConcept MPEG encoder -- I don't know what the Pro version uses.

Perhaps you've changed a setting in the MPEG-2 that TAW4 doesn't like? Are you using the NTSC or PAL DVD Standard export preset, or whatever the Pro version calls it?

sverkalo  2012-03-02 15:29:37 ( ID:ywha69jvxif )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Even program streams that are encoded with Sorenson Squeeze are coming with big delay and the preview comes with delay also.

sverkalo  2012-03-03 06:02:37 ( ID:ywha69jvxif )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Going at Mpeg2 TS for DVD makes the job right. If it is program stream Works won't import it right from both Media Encoder and Squeeze.

Question - TAW4 - Dual Layer burn issue No.65758
Bob  2012-02-07 02:07:33 ( ID:5naf9/4evxn )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I just recently bought some TDK DVD+R 8X DL discs to use in my first venture into dual layer burning.

My first DL project's burn (8X) was successful and plays back fine...that project contained 2 tracks, with each track containing 7-8 chapters.

The 2nd project however is another story. It contains just one track with 11 chapters and the total length is about 92 minutes. When playing back a DVD burned from this project, it stops at around the 42 minute mark (during track 6) and then the player can't read the disc. If I turn the player off and then back on, I can go direct to the start of track 7 from the DVD's menu and the rest of the disc then plays through to the end just fine. The same thing happens on several different players I tried, including a fairly new Samsung BluRay player. One Sony DVD player would not even open the disc.

I used TAW4's disc burning tool to burn both of these discs at 8X speed.

I also tried using a different burning program to burn the 2nd project at 8X and got the same results on playback, stopping around the 42 minute mark.

My next attempt would be to try burning at 4X instead of 8X.

Any other suggestions?

I wonder why the first project with two tracks works just fine? Could the fact that it is two tracks have anything to do with it working?

How does TAW4 determine where the dual layer split point should be? Is that layer split point built into the DVD files or does the burning program determine where it should be?

Thanks.

Smithee  2012-02-07 06:49:44 ( ID:u0b9yazpcdg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If playback stops around the 42 minute mark then it sounds like it's a layer break problem. Your first project may have had each track on a separate layer, thus no problems.

Did you preview your problematic project on your computer? In other words, output to a folder on your hard drive and then load that into WinDVD, PowerDVD, TotalMedia Theatre (or whatever) and see how it plays. If it plays fine then it's most likely a layer break issue.

For dual-layer projects I strongly suggest you use ImgBurn.

Output your project in TAW4 to a folder on your hard drive as a dual-layer DVD. Run ImgBurn and select either 'Create image file from files/folders" or "Write files/folders to disc". Select your TAW4 folder and then 'Create Layer Break Position".

If you're not familiar with ImgBurn then you'll have to fumble around a bit. You'll be burning your disc in no time.

When you make a dual-layer ISO, the program will create an *.MDS file which contains the layer-break info.

I don't know what other people do but I always burn at 4X and use Verbatim dual-layer discs.

I equate ImgBurn as the Tylenol of dual-layer burning headaches.

Bob  2012-02-07 07:05:07 ( ID:5naf9/4evxn )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks.

The project does play back fine direct from the computer.

I read elsewhere that IMGBurn would be a good choice, so I downloaded and installed it however it does not recognize my DVD burner. This is on a Win7 64 bit machine. Not sure what to do to fix that, otherwise I would have tried IMGBurn.

Smithee  2012-02-07 08:10:48 ( ID:u0b9yazpcdg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Bummer...

What model of burner do you have? Of course you can't go by the nameplate since the internal mechanism is most likely made by someone else, and that's the important part.

You could do one of two things: buy another burner or post a message in ImgBurn's forum.

I've never had one that ImgBurn didn't recognize -- lucky I guess. Because of this I would expect the program to support more drives than it doesn't.

If you're going to burn dual-layer discs on a regular basis it really might be worth it to buy an external and hope for the best. Unpack it carefully and try it with the program. If it doesn't work, take it back to the store and try another one. Or Google around and find one that's known to work. It'll be worth the time and little cost for the lack of future headaches.

I just bought a USB external LG Blu-ray burner and ImgBurn works perfect with it. A safe bet, therefore, might be an LG DVD burner.

Bob  2012-02-07 08:19:12 ( ID:5naf9/4evxn )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Mine is an internal LG burner...not sure of the exact model because it came with this new system I bought a few years ago...seemed like Win7 saw it as STHxxxx something or another but will have to check when I get home. I also have a well-reviewed internal ASUS that came out of my prior system, so I will install it and see if ImgBurn sees it. I never had the need to use ImgBurn on my old system...either Nero Express of TAW3 always worked fine, but that was always for single layer discs.

Bob  2012-02-07 08:53:38 ( ID:5naf9/4evxn )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

>Mine is an internal LG burner...not sure of the exact model because it came with this new system I bought a few years ago...

Err...that should have read "a few months ago..."

Bob  2012-02-07 10:54:26 ( ID:apft9vsj3l2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I uninstalled ImgBurn and re-installed it...during installation I noticed an option called "Enable STPI for All Users" and selected it. That apparently was the ticket as now my DVD brner is recognized. Using ImgBurn, I created an ISO and set the layer break and I'm now in the process of burning it to disc at 4X...will update results when complete and have tested it.

Bob  2012-02-07 12:14:52 ( ID:apft9vsj3l2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

This one worked fine, or at least it's not failing at the layer break poin I set in ImgBurn. Now, was it the 4X burn or ImgBurn that made it work, or both? :-)

Smithee  2012-02-07 15:48:54 ( ID:u0b9yazpcdg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I would put my money on ImgBurn rather than the burn speed.

Question - TVMW5 BBS - Metadata and multi track in mov file No.65747
Dario Blazevic  2012-02-02 19:00:51 ( ID:4bff.y0irao )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Please can someone advise me how to import mov file with metadata such as time code track and two audio streams.
It seems that this works perfectly in TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress.
Many thanks in advance.

Question - TE25 - nhthinh18 No.65743
nhthinh18  Home )  2012-02-01 23:43:13 ( ID:exb2sybgnjh )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

nhu la

Question - TAW4 - Quality No.65730
Alpha1  2012-01-30 14:33:47 ( ID:lrzko7lgc.n )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I routinely capture videos in .ts form that have outstanding quality. When I use DVD Author 4 to make a DVD to produce a DVD I find that the quality of the video has degraded somewhat becoming slightly fuzzy – not terribly fuzzy, but quite noticeable when compared to the original .ts file.

How can I preserve the high quality from my original file and still make the needed DVD files?

Alpha1

dp  2012-01-30 23:49:23 ( ID:8o4cienbi6h )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What degree of compression and bit-rate are you using? (e.g., howmuch material is on the DVD)? How are you viewing the source material and the DVD?

DVD is SD, Are your .ts files HD? If so, expect the DVD to look softer. Try keep the amount of material on the DVD under 90 minutes.

dp  2012-01-30 23:49:28 ( ID:8o4cienbi6h )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What degree of compression and bit-rate are you using? (e.g., howmuch material is on the DVD)? How are you viewing the source material and the DVD?

DVD is SD, Are your .ts files HD? If so, expect the DVD to look softer. Try keep the amount of material on the DVD under 90 minutes.

Alpha1  2012-02-01 02:34:38 ( ID:lrzko7lgc.n )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I’m using .ts files that are recorded at 8000 bps, and having DVD Author use that same rate for its Authoring process. I’m not recording off a DVD; these are quality captures from a 1080 TV signal using a Hauppauge Colossus video card with the captured files having always had exceptional clarity and definition. With the problem being that DVD Author degrades those properties during its conversion to VOB files. Incidentally, I have DVD Author use the .ts file directly as 4XP also softens (degrades) the video quality.

I definitely don’t want the video to look softer – that’s the problem now. I want to retain the crispness and clarity of the original .ts files.

Files range from 3.8 gigs to as much as 6.7 gigs to be authored for a Double Layer disk (8.5 gigs). But the lessening quality can be seen immediately when viewing the generated .VOB files. It doesn’t matter which viewing software I use, there is always noticeable degradation of the video quality between the .ts files and the .VOB files regardless of which video player is used.

Are you saying that neither 4XP nor DVD Author can convert the files without quality loss? I was hoping the .ts frames could be split into .VOB units directly with the .IFO and .BUP files generated as need without losing quality.

Will TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 retain the quality of my original .ts files?

tkrave  2012-02-01 03:26:53 ( ID:esk4fdefcg2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You say you're capturing from a 1080 signal but it's still not clear what your .ts file's resolution is. Can you open it with MediaInfo and post the info here?

Like dp said, if you're going from a 1080 HD video to DVD, you're going to get quality loss no matter what; you can't expect to retain all of the details of a 1080 video in a 720x480 DVD.

dp  2012-02-01 03:29:50 ( ID:8o4cienbi6h )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If you want to retain the full 1080 quality and sharpness, you need to move to BluRay. AW4 should fo a nice job for you there. (HD-DVD lost that battle a few years ago.)

DVD is not 1080, it is SD (480 in the case of NTSC), and there is nothing you can really do about that. (Well some BD players can play HD files from DVD media, but that is different.)

Quality DVDs file can look darn good on a HD set if played on a quality upscaling player, but that is not the same as native 1080.

Using VMW5 can produce a somewhat better MPG2 file for a DVD than yuouget in the native AW4 conversion, but the difference is not huge, and you can apply a bit of sharpening filter in the process if that helps.

Alpha1  2012-02-01 06:17:14 ( ID:lrzko7lgc.n )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The bit rates are 8776 bps, the resolution is 720x480 for the captured .ts file. All of these .ts files have excellent clarity and resolution – no softening of the edges of objects, etc with the current settings.

I don’t expect to have a 1080 clarity; although these 740x480 .ts files are very close, all I want is to retain the clarity and crispness of the 720x480 .ts files I am getting. The Hauppauge card is doing the resolution change from the 1080 signal down to 720x480 for the .ts file output so I wouldn’t think it’s rocket scientist work.

Again: Will TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 do a better job of retaining the quality of my original .ts files?

Smithee  2012-02-01 06:58:42 ( ID:u0b9yazpcdg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

>I’m using .ts files that are recorded at 8000 bps, and having DVD Author use that same rate for its Authoring process. I’m not recording off a DVD; these are quality captures from a 1080 TV signal using a Hauppauge Colossus video card with the captured files having always had exceptional clarity and definition. With the problem being that DVD Author degrades those properties during its conversion to VOB files. Incidentally, I have DVD Author use the .ts file directly as 4XP also softens (degrades) the video quality.
>
>I definitely don’t want the video to look softer – that’s the problem now. I want to retain the crispness and clarity of the original .ts files.
>
>Files range from 3.8 gigs to as much as 6.7 gigs to be authored for a Double Layer disk (8.5 gigs). But the lessening quality can be seen immediately when viewing the generated .VOB files. It doesn’t matter which viewing software I use, there is always noticeable degradation of the video quality between the .ts files and the .VOB files regardless of which video player is used.
>
>Are you saying that neither 4XP nor DVD Author can convert the files without quality loss? I was hoping the .ts frames could be split into .VOB units directly with the .IFO and .BUP files generated as need without losing quality.
>
>Will TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 retain the quality of my original .ts files?
>

My experience tells me never let DVD Authoring Works 4 transcode or convert video to the DVD standard. It's always best to convert your source videos to MPEG-2 before importing them for authoring.

TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works would be a good choice for doing your conversions beforehand. There are of course other alternatives but TVMW has a very good MPEG-2 encoder which will produce DVD-compliant output.

I have Hauppauge's USB WinTV HD encoder that captures in AVC format, and believe the Colossus uses the same. Just load your .ts file into TVMW5 and convert to a DVD-Video standard MPEG file. You'll get much better video quality and Authoring Works will 'smart render' the file because it's already DVD-compliant. Many of the conversions I've done are from a 1080i source and the quality is excellent.

Another alternative is to take your 1080i encodings and create an AVCHD disc. If you don't have a Blu-ray player then of course don't bother. If you do have a Blu-ray player, then make sure it supports AVCHD. The AVCHD format is a way to put HD content on standard DVDs. You can take your Colossus encodings and put them to AVCHD without any conversion whatsoever. And you won't need TVMW5 to do this: multiAVCHD 4.1 (shareware) would be a good choice, or use tsMuxeR (free). Output to a folder on your hard drive with any of these programs and then burn it with ImgBurn.

Smithee  2012-02-01 07:27:35 ( ID:u0b9yazpcdg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Yes, TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 will do a better job of retaining the quality of your original .ts files.

As an adjunct to my previous post, AVCHD also supports 480i, so if you do things right an AVCHD disc would be absolutely 'lossless'. Mind you this might be a moot point if you don't have an AVCHD Blu-ray player.

I should also add that TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 occasionally chokes on some of my Hauppauge encodings. By that I mean the program crashes and hangs when attempting to load a file. I've never determined what causes this. My solution is to use VideoReDo (the H.264 [AVC] version of course) to generate a new lossless version of the encoding, in which case TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 will load it just fine.

ALpha1  2012-02-01 09:56:52 ( ID:lrzko7lgc.n )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Unfortunately, the Hauppauge Colossus video card is considerably more sophisticated than their USB WinTV HD plug in. “Colossus” is a much more complex video card.

I initially tried using 4XP to start with and found the degradation in quality, so I then tired using DVD Author to author the .ts file directly. However, the output is the same as when using 4XP first.

I have an acquaintance that has TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works so I’ll send him an iso of the raw .ts files and see what he can do. If it works I’ll buy it, otherwise I’m moving on to something that is more state of the art, quality wise.

I’ve used Pegasys products for a long time and was always satisfied; but it appears they just haven’t kept up with the state of the art in video rendering.

Smithee  2012-02-01 12:59:58 ( ID:u0b9yazpcdg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Your criticism of TMPGEnc Authoring Works is duly noted, and somewhat warranted, but the basis for most DVD authoring apps is that the source files be imported already DVD-compliant. You'll save rendering time and there'll be no surprises with quality.

If your files do load into TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works -- and I think they will -- you'll get excellent MPEG-2 rendering quality for importation into Authoring Works.

Indy  2012-02-01 22:00:04 ( ID:dk9it5iw8jw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Slightly off-topic...

>My experience tells me never let DVD Authoring Works 4 transcode or convert >video to the DVD standard. It's always best to convert your source videos to >MPEG-2 before importing them for authoring.

>TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works would be a good choice for doing your >conversions beforehand. There are of course other alternatives but TVMW has a >very good MPEG-2 encoder which will produce DVD-compliant output.

So you're saying that the MPEG-2 encoder shipped with Authoring Works 4 is different from the one used by Video Mastering Works 5? That's news to me! In addition this is odd because...

>If you want to retain the full 1080 quality and sharpness, you need to move to >BluRay. AW4 should fo a nice job for you there.

...this is definitely not true as long as the source files are already Bluray compliant MPEG-4/AVC, because Authoring Works 4 will always convert them to MPEG-2. Given, that - as you suggest - the MPEG-2 encoder of AW4 produces comparatively low quality together with the fact that AW4 only produces MPEG-2 Blurays, actually makes Authoring Works 4 useless for Bluray authoring!

Just my thoughts,
Indy

Alpha1  2012-02-01 23:59:35 ( ID:lrzko7lgc.n )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

.ts files are DVD compliant. They're a version of the mpeg-2 files format and meant mostly for HiDef recordings. The frames are more complex - BUT - all the information is there to condense them to a 720x480 frame. You can't take a 720x480 frame and "blow it up" to a high quality HiDef frame and gain quality; but reducing the .ts file to a high quality 720x480 doesn't mean that you should lose the contrast and crispness to any real degree. Example, I've seen screen shots of output from a "Cyberlink" software that seems to accomplish this convertion very well. I guess the draw back to that software is that using it is quite frustrating, or so the comment was made.

tkrave  2012-02-02 03:54:57 ( ID:esk4fdefcg2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If the .ts files are DVD compliant, they should use smart rendering and not be re-encoded.

How are you importing the files? Try using the Source Wizard's "From a DVD, BD, AVCHD, etc..." option.

Smithee  2012-02-02 05:46:13 ( ID:u0b9yazpcdg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Indy... me bad... I was basing my experience with transcoding in Authoring Works on its default settings which is 'Automatic (Smart rendering prioritized)'. That of course means only 1-pass encoding which is why the quality was so degraded. I should have set the encoder mode to 'Re-encode all videos as below' and set the rate control mode to 2-pass, and set the tracks not to be transcoded by ticking the 'Do not adjust this track size'.

I do admit that my normal routine is to import pre-made (smart-rendered) MPEG-2s to match the project size (single- or dual-layer), so the transcoding tests I did do in Authoring Works were obviously not optimized for quality. I missed a very important setting!

Alpha1... I'm still confused by the format of your files. Like tkrave says, if your .ts files are truly DVD-compliant they'll be smart-rendered with no loss of quality. When you import them you'll see a blue 'SR' icon (smart rendering) in the 'Source' stage; if they're not DVD-compliant you'll see a red 'FR' icon (full rendering). Load your .ts file and then go into 'clip properties' and select 'video properties' -- report the results here. It sounds like they're 1080i and you want to "condense" (your term), i.e. resize them to 720x480 for DVD. Right?

dp  2012-02-03 02:02:00 ( ID:8o4cienbi6h )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

My impression is that AW4 uses the same transcode used in the previous TMPGenc4 and not the new MW5 engine.

In any case, is the .TS file wrapped around a H.264 encode rather than a DVD-compliant encode? The Haupauge on-line data implies external encoding is needed to get a DVD compliant file "(Note: the video input format determines the recorded format. For example, 1080i input records at 1080i, 720P records at 720P, etc. Any other format conversions needs to be done with the MediaConvert program... )".

I strongly suspect there are issue beyond the AW4 conversion to DVD in play here.

[Quote].ts files are DVD compliant. They're a version of the mpeg-2 files format and meant mostly for HiDef recordings.[/Quote]

Not always or everywhere. And in any case DVD is not HiDef.

tkrave  2012-02-03 03:31:28 ( ID:esk4fdefcg2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Alpha1, just get the video info for your .ts file using MediaInfo so we can truly see if this is DVD-compliant or not. The details you've given us are still very murky.

Question - TAW4 - Don't Want Play All in Top Menu No.65727
Smithee  2012-01-29 21:21:45 ( ID:u0b9yazpcdg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have a project with two separate tracks: #1 is the main film and #2 is the film's trailer. When the film ends the trailer plays, yet I have the 'Track playback end action' set to "Display the top menu'. I know why it's doing this -- I've renamed the play button as 'Film', but the play button is actually 'play all'.

So how would I have a top menu with three buttons like this: Film (plays just track #1), Trailer (plays just track #2), and Chapters (enters the chapter menu). But when the film (track #1) ends I want it to go to the top menu instead of playing track #2 afterwards.

In a nutshell, I want the Play button in the top menu to play only the film, not both tracks.

Thanks for any help.

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.