TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 275 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Classify Title User name Reply Last update
Question .wav file? Denice 2 2003-01-10 10:38:15
Question Conversion Issues Fenix 0 2003-01-10 06:10:44
Question Weird Pink color again! Lisa 2 2003-01-10 11:02:44
Question Conversion Issues Fenix 0 2003-01-10 05:52:37
Request SMP support for 'Noise Reduction' filter Mic 0 2003-01-10 05:10:14
Question PCM Audio instead of MPEG-1 layer II Gillette 2 2003-01-11 01:51:37
Question 20 Hours with "High" Motion Search, why so long time? Gillette 3 2003-01-10 11:06:44
Request Cannot recognize WMV audio encodes! james007 1 2003-01-10 04:50:35
Question Rate Control Mode Help Billy 5 2003-01-14 07:20:48
Question software BH 1 2003-01-10 04:45:14
Request Rotate Option Rob 1 2003-01-10 04:42:10
Question Capture Card Consumer Advice Please.. fess 7 2003-01-11 17:58:35

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 275 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Question - .wav file? No.33209
Denice  2003-01-10 06:17:06 ( ID:pedkjrpfzna )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi,

I used DVD2AVI and there should have been 2 files saved (I believe) .d2v and a .wav file. I can only find the .d2v file. There is no .wav file. What am I doing wrong?? There are also 4 files with the extension of .ac3 and I have no idea what these are for. This is my first time doing this, so any help is greatly appreciated. (By the way, I'm using the DVD Rip guide that was is located on www.dvdripguides.com)

Thanks!

User1964  2003-01-10 08:10:09 ( ID:35pd1jhizgf )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Denice,
The ac3 files your getting are your audio streams (1 per language in the movie). Depending on what you're planning to do you can go ahead with them. If you absolutely need wav files, you have to select the "output to wav" option (or something like that) under the audio tab of dvd2avi.

ASHY  2003-01-10 10:38:15 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You have selected the wrong settings in DVD2AVI. Choose the settings as follows.

1. Click 'Audio' then 'Track number' and select 'Track 1' from the menu.

2. Click 'Audio' then 'Channel format' and select 'Auto select'

3. Next click 'Audio' then 'Dolby digital' select 'Decode' and 'Dolby surround downmix' from the menu.

Now create your d2v again and you should have a wav when finished.

ASHY

Question - Conversion Issues No.33208
Fenix  2003-01-10 06:10:44 ( ID:oeken0sigtm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Here is a revision of a previous question that i have posted. Origionally i was concered with the output of a 22 minute divx file converted to mpeg-1 being about ( approx 1h and 15min ) 650 megs. Now after making many attempts at different settings i have found that the video is converted properly for the most part. But the last frame is frozen for the remaining tie of the video, and no audio has been added or encoded.

thanks Fenix

Question - Weird Pink color again! No.33205
Lisa  2003-01-10 05:53:53 ( ID:/ibrgst/kxf )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi I found the angle potion codec on my machine and removed it. This elliminated some of the pink color from my MPEG-1's There's still some there.
I got this post from a different question about the pink color: "Have you Tried Raising the Priority of the "Direct Show File Reader" in the "Vfapi Plugins" to "2"?" Mine under the enviromental settings is set to 0 but it's uneditable. Can someone please help me change it to 2 ? I can't figure out how to do it!
Thanks,
Lisa......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rick  2003-01-10 06:18:07 ( ID:ocqbvgqjyek )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Right button click and select higher priority. This will add 1 to the value so if you want to add to do it twice.

Rick

Lisa  2003-01-10 11:02:44 ( ID:8glkynzhsxl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks Rick!
Will have to run another test to see if it makes a difference.
Lis

Question - Conversion Issues No.33204
Fenix  2003-01-10 05:52:37 ( ID:oeken0sigtm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Here is a revision of a previous question that i have posted. Origionally i was concered with the output of a 22 minute divx file converted to mpeg-1 being about ( approx 1h and 15min ) 650 megs. Now after making many attempts at different settings i have found that the video is converted properly for the most part. But the last frame is frozen for the remaining tie of the video, and no audio has been added or encoded.

thanks Fenix

Request - SMP support for 'Noise Reduction' filter No.33203
Mic  2003-01-10 05:10:14 ( ID:9yanayzvl26 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

CPU useage on a processor system will be at 100% for both processors when not using the 'Noise Reduction' filter. When 'Noise Reduction' is used (makes VCDs look great BTW) the CPU useage drops to around 50% for both processors.

Would be nice to have 100% utilisation when using the filter.

Question - PCM Audio instead of MPEG-1 layer II No.33200
Gillette  2003-01-10 04:04:20 ( ID:iqvawmpsdt. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Is there any way to encode MPEG2 PCM audio instead? I am using:

TMPGEnc Plus 2.58.44.152, Core 1.90.140
For DVD MPEG2 NTSC compatible:
MPEG-2 720x480 29.97fps CBR 8000kbps, Layer-2 48000Hz 384kbps (with error protection)
DVD+R disks
DVD using DVD Workshop 1.3 for authoring (w/do not re-encode)
Use a lot of WAV audio when editing DV, then authoring to AVI before suing TMPGEnc

Got any suggestions, please? PCM is more compatible in more stand-alone DVD players, right? Thanks.

Minion  2003-01-10 04:58:44 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

It is Not nesessarily More compatible..Most players will Play MP2 and WAV audio and Dolby Digital AC3 audio...With the 2.59 Version it will let you out put the audio to Wav but I don"t think it Muxes the audio to the Video with this Option, I think it gives you a Mpeg Video file and a Seperate WAV file..

wcpaul  2003-01-11 01:51:37 ( ID:q7gr550x3gw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

PCM audio may not even be a legal audio format for mpeg files.

To get PCM on a DVD you load it seperately from the video into most authoring tools.

It is annoying that you can't have an mpeg file with uncompressed audio, especially for music performances.

Question - 20 Hours with "High" Motion Search, why so long time? No.33196
Gillette  2003-01-10 03:55:53 ( ID:iqvawmpsdt. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thats too much time, so I am forced to encode using "estimate" in Motion Search. Then, using "estimate" search, I can encode a 50 minute movie and it takes only about 2 hours. I've used TMPGEnc before on "High" and it took only about 6 to 8 hours, but now with my new HHD, it says it will take 20 hours. I've never let it go ahead and encode at "high" because I don't want to wait 20 hours. I'm using:

TMPGEnc Plus 2.58.44.152, Core 1.90.140
For DVD MPEG2 NTSC compatible:
MPEG-2 720x480 29.97fps CBR 8000kbps, Layer-2 48000Hz 384kbps (with error protection)
DVD+R disks

When I encode with "estimate" search and author using DVD Workshop 1.3 with "Do not Re-encode", I get a good DVD movie disk that plays on my stand-alone DVD player, but the vidio is a bit jerky, not real smooth. I've tried 2-Pass VBR (8000, 6000, 5000) with "High" motion search, but again it says 20 hours or about, so I don't go ahead and encode it... too long time.

QUESTION: why so long time on "High" motion search? Or, is the program not telling the truth and it will, if I go ahead, only take 8 hours instead of 20?

Minion  2003-01-10 04:54:55 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You should Be able to get good Results just useing the "Normal" setting..But stay away from the "Highest" setting Cuz that will take forever...If you wait for a While the encodeing time should go down a Bit, But if you want to encode fast then use a Faster encoder..

Rick  2003-01-10 06:34:59 ( ID:ocqbvgqjyek )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

There are a few things that will effect how fast you can encode. On the hardware side is the cpu speed (the faster the better and P4s are the better choice of the intels), ram (more the better), disk access time ( SCSI U320 probably the best single drive but raids of scsi is better and ide raids are good, Single ide start at ata 133 and go down as well as rpm and buffer size play a role. Software, if the drive supports DMA make sure it is turned on, shut down software that runs in the background such as Nortons System works or other virus software that might be monitoring the system constantly. I only encode SVCDs from Dvix and average 2 hours for every hour of movie at the highest quality setting. I have a 47" widescreen and that higher setting does seem to help. Hope this helps.

Rick

ASHY  2003-01-10 11:06:44 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I doubt that the 'Motion search' setting is in any way connected to your jerky playback problem.

There is more likely something else causing this.
Have you set the 'Field order' abd 'Frame rate' correctly?
What are the details of your source file?

Secondly '2 pass' is not a good setting for encoding DVD.

If the source is reasonably good quality you will get better results in a much faster time using the VBR method 'Constant quality(CQ)'.
This is also similar to the VBR method CCE uses and, as anybody who knows anything about encoding will tell you, you can't beat CCE for quality.

The 'Motion estimate search' setting will give you good results if not identical results to the 'High quality' setting as long as the source is decent and shouldn't affect the playback.

Also I don't think it is necessary to set the Minimum bitrate so high.

ASHY

Request - Cannot recognize WMV audio encodes! No.33194
james007  2003-01-10 02:40:42 ( ID:d53n6prd.cr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I was trying to convert a Window Media Video file (.wmv) to mpeg.
The video is encoded with Windows Media MPEG-4, which can processed by TMPGEnc successfully. But the audio is encoded as
Windows Media Audio V8
20 kbps, 22 kHz, stereo,
which cannot be recognized by TMPGEnc.

What shall I do? Any help will greatly appreciated!

Minion  2003-01-10 04:50:35 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

One way is to Download "DB Power AMP" with the WMA Codecs from http://www.dbpoweramp.com/ , then Re-Name the WMV file to WMA then you will be able to encode the audio to WAV with DB Power Amp ,then you can load the WAV into Tmpgenc, after extracting the audio to Wav you can put the extention Back to WMV...

Question - Rate Control Mode Help No.33188
Billy  2003-01-10 01:22:39 ( ID:ma8lfwhzhl2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I am converting an Xvid (I think) AVI file to MPEG1. The AVI file is 24 minutes and 4 seconds long and is 29.97 fps. After I burned it onto VCD using Nero 5, the image quality is very bad, blocky. I did not multiplex it non-standard VCD! Below are the exact steps I took to convert the video.

1. I clicked on Load and seleced "VideoCD(NTSC)". Then I went back there and clicked on "Unlock".

2. In Settings, the Stream Type is MPEG-1 Video. Size is 352x240 pixels. Aspect ratio was automatically set to 4:3 525 line(NTSC), I didn't know what it was so I didn't change it. Frame rate is 29.97 fps. I set the Rate Control Mode to Constant Quality (CQ), the maximum bitrate is 2520 kbits/sec, minimum is 0. Quality is set at 50. P picture spoilage is 0 while B picture spoilage is 20. VBV Buffer Size is 40KB. Motion Search Precision is set at normal.

I did not extract the WAV from the source file and I did not multiplex it into a non-standard VCD. Anyway, I'm trying to make the quality a little better when I'm trying to fit 3 24-minute-4-seconds files onto 1 700MB-80MIN CDR. Also, can someone please explain to me the differences between the options in Rate Control Mode? Thanks!

ASHY  2003-01-10 11:36:07 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Well it's no wonder your output is rubbish with those settings.

Firstly 352x240 is low resolution, so the image will look crap anyway no matter what bitrate you use.

Secondly 2520kb/s isn't too high either, but then reducing the quality to 50% will just cause the bitrate to average out at much lower than this, probably even less than standard VCD quality.

You are right using the (CQ) method, but your settings are not going to give you good quality.
Try these:

(CQ)Method: Max- 3000 Min-1200 Quality 80%

Audio bitrate- 128

Your VBV buffer setting is too low, it should be at least 112 for the bitrate usage.

Set 'Motion search' to 'High' not 'Highest' or 'Normal'

Multiplex or stream settings need to be 'Non standard VCD'

The settings above should improve the image abd allow you to fit all three movies on 1 disk (maybe with a little overburn), but to be honest you are asking a lot to fit three 24min movies on 1 disk with good quality.

You would be better off putting just 2 and encoding to XSVCD. With higher bitrate settings.

ASHY

ASHY  2003-01-10 11:43:15 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Sorry the Minimum bitrate above should be 300kb/s not 1200kb/s

ASHY

Billy  2003-01-11 01:09:27 ( ID:ma8lfwhzhl2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks! If not 352x240, what resolution should I use? That's the default for VCD NTSC.

ASHY  2003-01-12 16:41:45 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You should encode to MPEG2 and use the default SVCD resoulution. This will greatly improve the image, but I would advise increasing the bitrates to Min-1800, Max-4000, Quality-65, Audio-128

To fit all three movies you will probably have to use the bitrate settings in the previous post.

ASHY

Billy  2003-01-14 07:20:48 ( ID:ma8lfwhzhl2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I don't think my DVD Player can play SVCDs. It comes out trashed in the past...

Question - software No.33186
BH  2003-01-10 00:04:15 ( ID:knkidtxkexh )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Does anybody know of software that is similar to ulead dvd workshop but free?

Minion  2003-01-10 04:45:14 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

No... Not For Free But you Can Use DVD workshop for 30 days with Full Functionallity, E-Mail Me and I"ll Try To hook you Up with Something that should work Simular to DVD Workshop....

Request - Rotate Option No.33184
Rob  2003-01-09 22:31:28 ( ID:kbucfz0r0mh )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Is there any way a Rotate feature could be added I use TMPGEnc to convert video down to use on my Pocket PC it has a nicer output than anything I've used to date, but my Pocket Pc plays better if the video is prerotated 90 degrees instead of doing it on the fly, could this feature be added as a filter?

Minion  2003-01-10 04:42:10 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I doubt It will Be added as a Feature Cuz there is No Real Purpose to it Accept for maybe what you want it for, You can Use V-Dub to rotate the image and Frame serve it to Tmpgenc...

Question - Capture Card Consumer Advice Please.. No.33176
fess  2003-01-09 21:42:54 ( ID:lpkgk9shi0. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hello,

After have enough of dazzle dvc. I plan on purchasing the Osprey-220:
http://www.viewcast.com/products/osprey/osprey220.html

This will enable capture to raw avi via VirtualDub greatly increasing my video.

I am curious about the "breakout box" at the bottom of the above page. The cards ships with the 'breakout cable'. Why would you need the 'breakout box' if you have the cable?

My first card, and need some advice.

Regards
Fess

wcpaul  2003-01-09 23:43:57 ( ID:q7gr550x3gw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The breakout box is for professional video environments where everything is mounted in racks. Equipment is connected and disconnected very often and that would place too much mechanical stress on cable connectors.

A quick look at their literature shows no mention of 720x480 capture capability. They seem to be geared to web applications with W=640. W=720 is required for DVD.

In any case, this is a pretty expensive solution for non-pro use.

wcpaul  2003-01-09 23:57:45 ( ID:q7gr550x3gw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Oh, and the Osprey cards do not even have a tuner!

I believe you can get a tuner card that for less money that also works great for capture. Can any TV Wonder, Hauppauge, etc, owners vouch for this? (I have capture built in to my ATI graphics card.)

Minion  2003-01-10 04:38:54 ( ID:a6p1jd3ovjw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I use a BT878 Capture Card(Ati TV Wonder) Which Is Pretty Good For analog Captures, I usually capture from My Digital Cable Signal to AVI at 720+480 then encode the captured files to SVCD and they Turn out Quite well..I believe The Osprey Card is More Geared Toward Web Streaming as Opposed to Analog AVI Captures, But then again I don"t know what "Fess" will be useing it for???

ASHY  2003-01-10 11:53:43 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I own a Hauppage WinTV GO capture device. I can capture at 768x576 and the quality is excellant almost DVD quality from sources such as DVD through the composite inputs.

ASHY

Fess  2003-01-10 16:25:51 ( ID:lpkgk9shi0. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hello,

The osprey-220 will work with VirtulDub for sure. I don't know if other cards will work because dazzle's crap does not work.

wvpaul, you stated that this card does not have a 'tuner'. That will allow you to watch TV on your computer right?

Anyway, my story is.....I'm an internet programmer an a "1 man show". I want to learn every aspect of this field. Right now its video editing and avi/mpeg creation I'm interested in. I picked this card to capture from analog (s-video/etc.) to make web clips and edit with Adobe or Ulead...then convert with TMPEGEnc to MPEG-1. (Was using VD to make avi's but folks seem to have codec problems with MPEG-4)

I've never had the impulse to create a DVD before or at least not yet. I'm too busy with work and school to try it for now...

I will look into these cards, do they work with Virtual Dub....?

BT878 Capture Card(Ati TV Wonder)
Hauppage WinTV GO

wcpaul,Minion, ASHY....thank you for the input

Regards
Fess

wcpaul  2003-01-11 01:36:42 ( ID:q7gr550x3gw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Being a TV watcher, the tuner has come in handy for me. If you are not a reality show junkie, this might not be useful.

The best strategy with analog is to capture and edit with DVD quality AVI (Huffyuv codec) and then encode to MPEG-2 with "lossless" settings. This creates archival masters which can be re-encoded to the streaming media format de jour. To save painful rework, lossy conversions should be at very the END of the chain, not the start.

Hint: use the brightness/contrast settings along with histogram display in Virtualdub to make sure light and/or dark detail is not being lost during capture. Video signals from tape vary wildly.

Hint: You should learn as much detail about Microsoft drivers and the DirectShow architecture as you can handle.

Fess  2003-01-11 17:58:35 ( ID:9yabzucn8kn )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Huffyuv codec huh? Interesting.....

As for "tuner" needs. I'm 1000% sure I don't need it because I hate watching TV. Rather read or bang a chick ;O)

I found this url on DirectShow architecture, wow....lots of info:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wcegmm/htm/_dxce_dshow_directshow_architecture.asp

Thanks again wcpaul...
Fess

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.