TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 395 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Classify Title User name Reply Last update
Question Converting DVD to MPEG Disturbed Phenom 2 2002-09-28 15:36:35
Question Optimal Settings for 24min Anime Episode Will 4 2002-10-01 18:11:04
Question invalid pointer operation jim 0 2002-09-26 22:35:47
Question Keep 16:9 aspect ratio on a 4:3 TV - How ? JIR 3 2002-09-27 17:46:08
Question help please bobby 1 2002-09-26 21:36:30
Question Sound getting out of sync Publicnewman 1 2002-09-26 21:51:46
Question encoding speed too slow? Ogl 1 2002-09-26 21:45:39
Question Nero Burning DIVX 6 2002-09-29 18:20:00
Question ¿why the batch encoding only accept one project at time? gabriel 1 2002-09-26 16:38:33
Question MPEG1 plays sound but NO video (black screen).... Dee 2 2002-09-27 17:05:05
Question Invalid Page Fault Mark 0 2002-09-26 15:27:26
Question 4 gig avi tv capture - video freezes after 10 minutes- why? Paul M 2 2002-09-27 21:36:05

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 395 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Question - Converting DVD to MPEG No.28680
Disturbed Phenom  Home )  2002-09-27 01:42:12 ( ID:ur4wualhelw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I ripped a DVD and used this program to convert it to MPEG and it worked. But when i tried to convert the rest of the movie it wouldnt load.

Minion  2002-09-27 07:47:08 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

A little information would be nice..Like how you ripped the DVD and how you encoded the DVD and what format you are encodeing to and the settings you used and what error you are getting???ECT...

ASHY  2002-09-28 15:36:35 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

LOL...Where's your crystal ball minion, can u not read minds?

I agree with minion. We can't help without some sort of detail on the problem.

ASHY

Question - Optimal Settings for 24min Anime Episode No.28675
Will  2002-09-27 01:25:08 ( ID:g/mf7osyq66 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi there,

I've been looking at the board archives for tmpeg quality settings and while I've found good info, I think my question is a bit more specific.

The source I'm recording is:
640*480 - Japanese Anime, 24fps
A typical episode is around 24min.
I'm going to be output'n via VGA out from a laptop to a CRT projector.

I'm trying to get the best quality MPEG2 possible that can fit on a standard 700MB CDR.

Currently, I'm using:
CBR: Total bitrate: 3982kbit (Audio 384, Video 3598)
motion search precision (highest)
quantize matrix (default profile) /w "Use floating point DCT

I've read that using CQ instead of CBR could yield better results. What settings would be most optimal for my needs?

Thanks in advance!
- Will

Minion  2002-09-27 07:45:01 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If you are outputting from your Laptop to a Projector then there is no need to Encode to mpeg2..You would probably get better results useing a DivX/Mpeg-4 format..It has a Better compression for file size and there for better Quality for file size..You should only really be useing Mpeg2 if you are going to play it on a DVD/VCD/SVCD player...if we could use a mpeg4 format we probably would but seeing as mpeg is the only format to use on DVD players we are stuck with it but since you aren"t then you should use a better compression format...I"m sure if you used WMV you could get a few hours on a CD-R with good Quality.. and since you are just outputing it to a Projector then it would probably suit you needs also...

Will  2002-09-29 00:01:34 ( ID:g/mf7osyq66 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi Minion,

We tried that originally, using max DivX bitrate (10Mbit). However my laptop wasn't able to cope with it's mad compression. CPU usage was really high and it was all choppy (500Mhz P3). Even on a 900Mhz Athlon certain scenes were a tad choppy.

I'm thinking using the new DVD templates in TMPEG might work out well, but you have any other tips that'd be cool. Since the source file is the original VOB, I guess re-encoding using DVD bitrates might do the trick. (re-encode so I can add subtitles that is :)

- Will

B_racer  2002-09-30 14:56:12 ( ID:gxmkoa4dlnj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

> motion search precision (highest)

Use High to prevent Search Errors.

> quantize matrix (default profile)

Use the CG_Smooth-Matrix

ASHY  2002-10-01 18:11:04 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

>Use the CG_Smooth-Matrix

This setting is only for Computer animated Graphics not ordinary animation.
This setting won't have any benefit for ordinary animation and would be better with a regular matrix setting.

ASHY

Question - invalid pointer operation No.28674
jim  2002-09-26 22:35:47 ( ID:0iwzqyq1a9a )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

hi

when trying to encode an avi file, im getting the error "invalid pointer operation" after about 1 second.......any ideas?

Question - Keep 16:9 aspect ratio on a 4:3 TV - How ? No.28670
JIR  2002-09-26 22:31:06 ( ID:xlnf0vsqrnw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hello !-)

I cannot get my video recording to work properly on a 4:3 TV, can anyone please tell me what to do ?

I've recorded a clip on my Sony DV camera in 16:9. When I get the clip onto my computer using Pinnacle Stutio 7 the resolution is 720x576. I then try to make a SVCD using TMPGEnc 2.57 and want it to work both on a 16:9 widescreen and on a 4:3 screen but in the right aspect ratio. When I whatch the clip on a 16:9 TV full screen it works perfectly, but on a 4:3 TV the aspect ratio remains 4:3 with no bars. I've tried to resizeing the video to 480x272 and 480x576 and tried different Video stream aspect ratio settings, but nothing works. I've also tried different Video source settings and that did not work. Could anyone please give me the solution ?-Thank's.

JIR

ASHY  2002-09-26 22:48:36 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You can't have it both ways. You can either have a 16:9 output or 4:3.
Your 16:9 T.V. may be able to cope with a 4:3 output and adjust it accordingly, but most likely your 4:3 T.V. will not cope with 16:9 unless you can force it to 16:9.

For correct output for a 4:3 TV you need to set the input as 16:9 and the output to 4:3 and full screen aspect ratio. This will give you a 16:9 image with black bars to create a 4:3 picture.

ASHY

wcpaul  2002-09-27 01:56:56 ( ID:q7gr550x3gw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If the material is "anamorphic" (squished horizontally with no black bars in the encoded video) you can get both ways to work from standalone DVD players. I do this all the time capturing the S-Video output of my HDTV receiver.

Make sure you set the output format to 16:9 when encoding. This sets a flag which tells the DVD player how to handle the video. Bad DVD authoring software does not accept this flag (e.g. DVDit LE) but Ulead DVD Workshop does. I don't know about Pinnacle.

Make sure the DVD player connected to your 4:3 TV has the proper display setting. Some players have a selection in the setup menu for 4:3 or 16:9 display, but most have a letterbox/pan&scan/widescreen selection. Choose letterbox.

Provided your authoring software can deal with it, this method preserves the full 720x576 resolution when viewing on a 16:9 TV. WinDVD 4.0 properly handles the 16:9 flag so use that (or similar) to test before burning.

ASHY  2002-09-27 17:46:08 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If you read the question this person is referring to SVCD not DVD. Most DVD players WON'T recognize the 16:9 flag with SVCD.

ASHY

Question - help please No.28668
bobby  2002-09-26 21:28:56 ( ID:rbencmazb46 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I am capturing video with leadtek winfast2000xp in vcd format and transfering it to disc with nero 5.5 .the quality is very poor when playedback on Power DVD (cyberlink)can anyone tell me why?.I am new to this process and would be very greatful of any help .thanks

ASHY  2002-09-26 21:36:30 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Come on this is obvious.
Capturing to a VCD format is never going to be any good. The codecs just aren't good enough to produce good enough quality.

Capture to MPEG2 or an AVI codec such as DIVX 5.02 at high resolution. This will give very good results then use the best MPEG1 encoder there is to encode to VCD.
This encoder, if you haven't guessed, is TMPG, but don't expect fantastic results even from TMPG when encoding to standard VCD as VCD just ain't that good.
XVCD or SVCD is much better if your player can handle it.

ASHY

Question - Sound getting out of sync No.28666
Publicnewman  2002-09-26 21:11:43 ( ID:7j8a7jat5gr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I am doing the 30 day trial on version 2.58 plus. I thought I had finally found the perfect file conversion tool for converting Divx (mpg-4) to DVD quality Mpg-2, but I have now found that I have a progressive sound sync problem. As the movie goes on the sound becomes more and more out of sync. It only appears on the new mpg-2 file and not on the original divx mpg-4 file. I have 12 days left on the trial and I'd like to solve this so I can buy tmpgenc knowing it will work for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Minion  2002-09-26 21:51:46 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

This most likely isn"t a Tmpgenc problem but a Problem with your file...Sometimes avi files that say they are for exaple are 23.98fps but in reality they are 23.8fps or 23.99fps to when you encode them to 23.98fps mpeg they gradually go out of sync..There isn"t really much you can do about it..This is quite Common with Divx files downloaded off the net...

Question - encoding speed too slow? No.28664
Ogl  2002-09-26 20:43:13 ( ID:jyjqk/r85yk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'm using TMPGenc on a P4 1.6Ghz , i'm trying to encode a avi fil to vcd mpg standard, TMPGenc work at 1.5FPS and my CPU usage is at 5-10% (TMPGenc at "real time priority")
Can I do something to force TMPGenc to use 100% of CPU usage??

Thanx

Minion  2002-09-26 21:45:39 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

There is something wrong with Tmpgenc or your system cuz Tmpgenc should run at close to 100% all the time...Try re-installing tmpgenc and see if anything changes...

Question - Nero Burning No.28657
DIVX  2002-09-26 16:55:55 ( ID:afpfwczoozl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I read on here that using Nero to burn a cd should be done at the lowest speed. Can someone remind me why. I have a fast system p4 2.53 . Can I still use tmpgnec at the same time as buring a CD? Does it help to have the window in the forfront to make it get more memory? Can I use VCDEasy at the same time I'm using TMPGenc?

Thanks
Steven

Paul M  2002-09-26 20:07:43 ( ID:lf8bomhf4rj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi. I use Nero 5.59 to burn VCDs made with TMPG encoded mpg files. The highest setting I have available to me for Nero burning is 8x - and I use that constantly with no problem. My computer is a Dell Dimension 4100, using Windows Me and running at 933mgz.
If I am encoding avi files with TMPG and am also burning disks with Nero everything takes a little longer. (System resources get stretched.) Maybe you would not have this problem.
I don't believe that the placement of a program's work screen - in front or behind a second running program - makes any difference as far as what resources are available.

ASHY  2002-09-26 21:12:08 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The reason for burning at low speeds and 4x is the recommended maximum because any higher and most if not all players will have problems with playback of the disk.
This is all because of the built in fault tolerance of MPEG files.
Usually data disks have around 100mb of space on the disk reserved purely for parity data or to give it another name error correction data.
This ensures that the stored data can be checked and corrected on the disk using the parity data.

With MPEG data these extra bits are not needed because MPEG data is error tolerant which is why you can store 800mb on an 80 min disk instead of 700mb.
Having said this, if you burn at high speed then to many errors are introduced out of the MPEG tolerance range which then causes playback problems, so keeping the speed at 4x ensures a good error free burn.

Some people may tell you that they have no problems with playback when burning at high speeds, but I guarantee this is because they have a tolerant player and another player which isn't as tolerant will have problems playing the disk.

My advice is to play it safe and stick to 4x or if you can get away it using good disks burn at 6x. Anymore and your taking a risk. Just search around most of the encoding forums the advice will usually be the same.

ASHY

Minion  2002-09-26 21:43:57 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If you have a Fast Burner Most burning programs will not allow you to burn at 4 speed,and the disks That I use will not allow you to burn at lower than 8 speed, which is the minimum speed I and most poeple with a 24 times speed or faster speed burner can burn...So if in your case and probably most poeples case can only burn at a minimum of 8 times then that shouldn"t be a problem.But in my experience if I burn at more than Half the max speed of my burner then I get some pretty be problems like jumpy playback and out of sync audio....

ASHY  2002-09-26 22:39:01 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'm not sure about the minimum speed of 8x as I think it's usually only the cheaper models such as Lite-on which have this negative limitation or you are using high speed media which is specifically designed for high speed drives because of the fast reacting dyes which don't burn well at lower speeds and may have a minimum speed such as 8x, but wouldn't have thought this would be suitable for MPEG data because generally more speed means more errors regardless of disk type.

I have done a little research and found most drives do support 4x burning even 32x and 40x drives do and seeing as CDRW needs lower speeds and maybe lower than 8x for a good burn this only makes sense.

I agree that high speed drives may produce a good burn at 8x but this is going to depend on the media. Crap media won't cut it.

ASHY

Minion  2002-09-27 07:33:50 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

true...My burner will only burn at 4 times if I burn CD-RW, and the disks I buy have a minimum burn speed of 8 times..Actually most of the name brand media in Canada are like this..But I guess it is because they are name brand..but It is hard to find cheap CD-R"s here at the regular Stores and they aren"t very cheap anymore here..about 60-75 cents each when bought by the 100...

Stewart  2002-09-29 18:20:00 ( ID:u1s8of2ek6c )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have always wondered why there are recomendations about slower burning speed. I use both NERO and VCDEASY (I prefer NERO) and both burn my SVCD disks at 24X. I have never had a problem reading these disks in my dvd player for TV or using my computer CD reader. Of course, I don't know whether other DVD players might have a problem - but I don't in my equipment. My computer is P4 2.0 with 512K and it has a LITE ON writer.

I am now wondering if I should slow down my CD writing.

Question - ¿why the batch encoding only accept one project at time? No.28655
gabriel  2002-09-26 16:17:02 ( ID:i7.gcxrvnlw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

there is a way to add multiple project at the same time?, not putting each one and setting them again and again....I have lot of .avi to encode with the same settings and resolutions, and i lost a lot of time adding one by one to the batch encoding...
Thanks!

gabriel  2002-09-26 16:38:33 ( ID:i7.gcxrvnlw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I got the answer!!! thank to everyone!!!!
http://www.innsys.com.au/doylie/cat_Development/TMPEG_batcher/TMPEG_List.htm

Question - MPEG1 plays sound but NO video (black screen).... No.28652
Dee  2002-09-26 16:10:54 ( ID:x/itphwxn7f )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

When creating MPEG1 from "pinacle DV500" .avi the resulting MPG file has sound BUT no video.

This has only started occuring since the upgraded DV500 was installed.I have played with the VFAPI - Direct Show setting etc but no Luck.. I'm guessing the DivX is the culprit but I am a total amateur and am lost as to what to do. Please help kind regards

Minion  2002-09-26 21:35:05 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Isn"t this a "Pinnacle" Problem..if it isn"t please be more clear..

Dee  2002-09-27 17:05:05 ( ID:x/itphwxn7f )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Sorry - I am using TMPGEnc to create a MPEG1 file from a pinnacle produced avi. This worked with no problems up until I upgraded my pinnacle system. This is why I assumed it was a DivX problem. Is this clearer? I'm Lost - can you help please?

Question - Invalid Page Fault No.28651
Mark  2002-09-26 15:27:26 ( ID:r2udwevczpl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Really need some help
I'm getting an Invalid Page Fault in Module QUARTZ.dll at 015f:35507919

Everything has been working really well since first install.

Now the program won't load at all.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I have tries re-installing Direct X as I think the QUARTZ.dll is part of it (I Could Be Wrong).
Thanks for any help.

Regards
Mark

Question - 4 gig avi tv capture - video freezes after 10 minutes- why? No.28648
Paul M  2002-09-26 13:59:23 ( ID:cdwx28qz11c )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi. I scred up somewhere but don't exactly know how... I used the ATI All in wonder TV capture card to record Smallville. Not being familar with the settings my 1hr movie took up 4 gigabytes. That is ok... except that when I tried to play it back with 2 different players it froze after 10 minutes into the movie. Where does the problem lay... in my capture, or is it that there is a size limitation as to video playback? Oh, the audio track was fine...even after the picture "paused" the audio kept on going.
Another question... TMPG and Virtual Dub... is it true that they both can handle only files that are 2 gigs or smaller? Anything longer than 2 gigs cannot be processed?
Thanks for your help...

Minion  2002-09-26 21:33:23 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Well The problem could be anywere, but mostlikely you are going to have to Throw away the file you recorded cuz something odviously went wrong..What Program did you use to capture with?? and what Format did you Capture too..If you captured to uncompressed avi then 4GB is only about 10-12 minutes..If you are useing Win XP and have a NTSF partition then you can have unlimited File size and Virtual dub can load any sized file but only captures to 2gb files and Tmpgenc can handle any sized files....

Paul M  2002-09-27 21:36:05 ( ID:lf8bomhf4rj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Minion, I'm using Windows Me. I guess if I want to continue in my folly I'll need to take advantage of commercial breaks and create several files for the same show.

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.