TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 428 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Classify Title User name Reply Last update
Question VHS to VCD? homer simpson 1 2002-08-29 22:24:22
Question Audio Sync problem Sauron 1 2002-08-29 22:18:36
Question new user ian 0 2002-08-29 20:50:04
Question Problem "cutting" mpeg file Rick 9 2002-08-30 19:16:45
Question minion jake 3 2002-08-30 04:23:10
Question Encoding QT over 2GB Umpire 1 2002-08-29 22:05:21
Question wmv to mpeg achan512 3 2002-08-30 01:08:35
Question Jumpy video in mpeg-1 DVD adv_h67 3 2002-08-30 23:27:35
Question DV -> MPEG gives over exposed colors Anders 1 2002-08-29 15:22:52
Question Quality version 2.57 vs beta 12a MikeH 7 2002-08-30 19:26:32
Question Streaming type friends 1 2002-08-29 10:39:02
Question SUCCESS rickki804 0 2002-08-29 04:56:06

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 428 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Question - VHS to VCD? No.27350
homer simpson  2002-08-29 21:15:59 ( ID:wgcxb6yag/c )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Is it possible to take a vhs and put it on vcd. How long of a video would fit on a cdr if i did this? How can this be done?

thanks

Minion  2002-08-29 22:24:22 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You Need a Capture Card and a Lot of Hard drive space, or if you have a really fast computer then you can capture to Mpeg with certain mpeg capture programs...I have a 1.7ghz and I still drop frames when captureing directly To Mpeg so I capture to Uncompressed AVI so I don"t drop frames, but then The whole Movie can take up to 60gb of Hard drive space, then I encode the AVI to Mpeg for VCD...The Quality isn"t really that good captureing From VHS unless you have a really good Capture Card and a High quality VHS Source.....

Question - Audio Sync problem No.27348
Sauron  2002-08-29 21:03:20 ( ID:bretwi1a3.g )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If anyone out there has an answer to this, I would appreciate a response.

I have created an MPEG2 file and have attempted to burn a DVD with Roxio's Videowave5 Power Edition. The original source MPEG file plays OK on my computer using several players, but the resulting DVD files show a slight sync problem between audio and video. The audio seems very slightly behind the video.

Minion  2002-08-29 22:18:36 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Some burning programs can Cause this, if it isn"t out of sync on your computer and is out of sync after you burn it then it probably has to do with the burning program....I would sugest useing something else.....

Question - new user No.27347
ian  2002-08-29 20:50:04 ( ID:vck3op69crm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

when i go to encode i get an error message "program file cannot be created" why is this?

Question - Problem "cutting" mpeg file No.27337
Rick  2002-08-29 18:52:58 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'm having problems when it comes to cutting an mpeg file ready for burning
(have to admit i'm still learning). I go into mpeg tools and merge and cut...add the mpeg file and go to edit but a message pops up saying
"Could not open this file with directshow (0*80040218)" It then goes on to say details but these are very short and generally like....v¬# stuff like that
Any help would be great or other options on how i could cut the file

Thanks

Kat  2002-08-29 20:19:36 ( ID:ftoz3pyaomm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I am having a problem learning how to split an encoded file, too. I downloaded a movie that was split into 2 parts. Each part was too big for a 700 MB CD, and I couldn't find any 900 MB CD's at the 3 major computer stores in my area (CompUSA, Circuit City and Best Buy.) I successfully extracted the audio into wavs with Virtual Dub, and then merged the 4 files into one GIGANTIC mpg file.

But I swear, I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to now cut this huge file into 3 700 MB CD sized files, in order to burn them.

Please, can one of the video wizards here help me? I guess I need a step by step instruction, for using Tmpgenc to split this monster file into 3 burnable bits.

Thanks in advance to all of the wizards who inhabit this place... I have learned SO MUCH by reading all of your posts!

Kat

Kat  2002-08-29 21:22:47 ( ID:ftoz3pyaomm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I am having a problem learning how to split an encoded file, too. I downloaded a movie that was split into 2 parts. Each part was too big for a 700 MB CD, and I couldn't find any 900 MB CD's at the 3 major computer stores in my area (CompUSA, Circuit City and Best Buy.) I successfully extracted the audio into wavs with Virtual Dub, and then merged the 4 files into one GIGANTIC mpg file.

But I swear, I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to now cut this huge file into 3 700 MB CD sized files, in order to burn them.

Please, can one of the video wizards here help me? I guess I need a step by step instruction, for using Tmpgenc to split this monster file into 3 burnable bits.

Thanks in advance to all of the wizards who inhabit this place... I have learned SO MUCH by reading all of your posts!

Kat

Kat  2002-08-29 21:55:00 ( ID:ftoz3pyaomm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Kat

Minion  2002-08-29 22:16:11 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The best thing you can do is to use something else to cut your Mpeg files, if the Mpeg tools start to do wierd things or just won"t work then there isn"t to much you can do to fix it..I would sudgest finding another Mpeg editing program..

Kat  2002-08-30 01:21:44 ( ID:ftoz3pyaomm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Kat

Kat  2002-08-30 01:29:42 ( ID:ftoz3pyaomm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I can't believe that my message was reposted every time I hit "refresh" today, to see if someone answered my query, Sorry that you all had to see it 4 times!

I am using Windows XP... what other editing programs can you suggest for me? Not sure if you can post a website url here, but the root name (minus the dot com) would be really helpful.

Kat

Minion  2002-08-30 02:13:46 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

There are lots of differant Mpeg editing programs Some are very basic some have more profesional features,you can try downloading a demo of a few good mpeg editing programs at http://www.apachez.net in the tools section i think there might be a couple freeware ones there...of you can allways try a P2P site like kaza.....

Starlight  2002-08-30 05:11:45 ( ID:9ujymxkjqjc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

keep in mind that that mpeg files contain error recovery data.
The vcd/svcd burner routine will strip it.
a 800 mb vcd or svcd compliant mpegs will fit perfectly on a 700 mb cd-r if burned as vcd or svcd.
i have burned mpeg-2 files of 828 mb to a 700 mb cd-r with nero and cdrao.
Usualy those files you get from the internet are cut to fit on a vcd or svcd burned cd-r.
Try burning it appropiately.
a program like nero will object if the svcd or vcd will exceed the max size and not burn it.

good luck

Kat  2002-08-30 19:16:45 ( ID:gf8zeznrb5f )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks! I downloaded the VCD Cutter tool, but so far, it is not "finding" the file created by Tmpgenc, that I merged.

I finally got Tempgenc to set up a cutting operation, too... but when I hit "run" after selecting the first hour of the movie, it says that it is an invalid video stream. I am guessing that maybe Tmpgenc somehow corrupted the file during the merge, so I am going to peform the merge operation a second time. I don't understand it, though.... I can p[lay the movie just fine in Windows Media Player. Wish I knew more about what I am doing! LOL

And I didn't know that about the recovery data... thanks for explaining it. Unfortunately, these files were both over 700 MB as downloads, and are now 918 MB and 829 MB as two mpg files... and 1,747 MB's as a merged file.

Question - minion No.27333
jake  2002-08-29 17:47:08 ( ID:v8lpfz/r2rc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

minion, i am very bad at this dvd thing please explain it an the easiest way possible how is a VCD totally compliant and how can i check please explain it step by step. these programs are just like movies i download then convert and now i want to add like chapters and menus to make it look professional

Minion  2002-08-29 22:12:23 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If you are useing Tmpgenc to encode your VCD"s then all you have to do to make a Compliant VCD is to use one of the Premade Templates..All the templates are set to the perameters that will make it totally compliant..So a compliant NTSC VCD(for north america)has a resolution of "352 by 240" with a Video bitrate of 1150kbs and audio bitrate of 224kbs with a frequency of 41000khz..The VCD templates assure that you will be makeing a Compliant VCD..The Quality of a Compliant VCD is Usually Much Lower than That If A NON-standard VCD....

jake  2002-08-30 01:11:59 ( ID:v8lpfz/r2rc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

so your saying as long as i convert to VCD with tmpgenc it will be compliant and i can author it with dvd workshop? if so how can i make it a non standard to up the quality

Minion  2002-08-30 04:23:10 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

NO,NO,NO.......

Question - Encoding QT over 2GB No.27331
Umpire  2002-08-29 16:34:24 ( ID:pscmpocc58h )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I use Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro on my Mac. I want to try and encode QuickTime .mov files from my mac that are over 2GB. I have W2000 on my PC. I can use a firewire drive to get files to PC. Is there a plug-in that I can use in TNPG to go straight to mpeg2 without converting .mov to .avi and will it handle files over 2GB? If so is it included in "Plus" version?

Minion  2002-08-29 22:05:21 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

There is a "Mov" plugin for Tmpgenc that allows you to encode Mov files to mpeg, I don"t know if it has a file size limitation or not....It took me a while to find this for you cuz it is no longer supported by it"s author but you can download it here :http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/4942/svcd.html
Enjoy.....

Question - wmv to mpeg No.27327
achan512  2002-08-29 15:28:41 ( ID:yiut9lstn7c )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

can tmpg player convert windows media to mpeg.

Minion  2002-08-29 21:48:53 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Yes and No, Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn"t.....

NewtronX  2002-08-30 00:42:19 ( ID:0ysy.lkdema )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

My experiences wih WMV have been excellent. Only one thing I find that you must seperate the Audio and Video first then recombine them in TMPGenc. I use total recorder to capture the audio then use the origanal WMV for the Video source.
You can get the trail at http://www.highcriteria.com/ also if you need it let me know feel FREE to email me.~NewtronX

Minion  2002-08-30 01:08:35 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I guess I should have mentioned that ,newtron is right ,you need to encode the audio to wav, cuz tmpgenc does not like WMA audio, I use "DB Power Amp" for this, But I have had lots of trouble encodeing WMV files especially if they are Long files, that is why if I can"t get tmpgenc to encode it correctly I use a program called "Stoik Video Converter" to convert the WMV to AVI...

Question - Jumpy video in mpeg-1 DVD No.27323
adv_h67  2002-08-29 11:49:55 ( ID:n7xx7gvsr2w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have made a DVD from two DV *.avi files. I encode them with TmpegEnc in mpeg-1 CBR or VBR until 1856 Kbps maximum (compliant with DVD specs). I make the authoring and burn a DVD. The second movie, in any time between 1h10..1h30 becomes jerky. 1 awful jump every second, more or less.
I have tried to reencode with less bitrate, CBR, VBR, Motion Estimate, Slow Motion search,... and always exist those jumps.
I have tried encoding even with CCE 2.50, and same result (and less image quality).
BUT, i tried with the trial versi?n of CCE 2.64.01.10 in CBR (no VBR option) and the video plays perfectly. The TmpegEnc image quality is still a bit better.
Mi question is, ?is this an "encoded stream quality" or a "user quality"? I don't know if I have omitted any important parameter. I have used the DVD templates, modified, with a max. GOP=15 (PAL), 1 sequence header every GOP, 352x288 mpeg-1 CBR or VBR (max 1856 Kbps) and so on (DVD parameters from http://members.aol.com/mpucoder/DVD/dvdmpeg.html )

I love the TmpegEnc image quality. Do you know any solution?

B_Racer  2002-08-29 15:27:05 ( ID:gxmkoa4dlnj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

VBR ist NOT compliant for MPEG1 on DVD! Only CBR is alowed.

Maybe the VBV-Buffer-Size is to small. Set it to 112, i bet, the Video is not longer jumping. And don't forget to set a Header to every GOP like in MPEG2! That's mandatory for DVD-Authoring.

adv_h67  2002-08-30 12:59:26 ( ID:n7xx7gvsr2w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The last tests were done in mpeg-1 CBR (it's faster). The VBV buffer has been 112 in every attempt, 1 sequence header every GOP and 15 frames per GOP.
I am now trying with a lower bitrate (exists several 1920 bitrate peaks with CBR 1750 ??? ), and if no success, I'll try to put a value of 40 in VBV (VCD standard).

adv_h67  2002-08-30 23:27:35 ( ID:qelq1kvs20l )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have done the test with vbv=40. The result is perfect! That was the wrong parameter!
This issue is not seen with a 1 hour file. ???

Question - DV -> MPEG gives over exposed colors No.27321
Anders  2002-08-29 11:15:10 ( ID:d.z2bgmtbrk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I've made a amature movie with a DV cam, edited in Premiere and exported the movie from Premiere to TMPGEnc (DVD settings).

After i've encoded the clip into a PAL Mpeg2 i get over exposed colors,
look at the picture below, the orginal DV clip to the left and the mpeg2 to the right... look at the grass, its overexsposed.. Its most over exposed at sunlighted spots (like the grass)

i trid both CBR and VBR at 4000 kbits

i've tried the set equation for color space

Whats wrong?

http://www.dac.se/colors.jpg

B_Racer  2002-08-29 15:22:52 ( ID:gxmkoa4dlnj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

OK, you have deinterlaced the Video (not a good Idea, see the heavy "ghosting"), and maybe, you used wrong settings:

Settings -> Quantize Matrix -> Output YUV Data as Basic YCbCr....

Question - Quality version 2.57 vs beta 12a No.27313
MikeH  2002-08-29 07:20:36 ( ID:l3hmeluin1l )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Yesterday I found an article in the internet concerning the quality of TMPGenc v2.53 compared to version beta 12a showing the that the quality of 2.53 is much lower than 12a.

I have done my own tests with 2.57 an 12a and I tried sevaral settings (where I kept the settings identical in 12a and 2.57). I saw that in 12a the quality was alway noticeable! better than in 2.57. Especially in scenes with a lot of fast motion I saw small blocks in 2.57 encoded file, while there a much less (and therefore of cource much more details) in 12a encoded file. I worked with DVD settings and always high bitrates (about 5000kbits/s) 2pass VBR and CQ_VBR.
I didn't use any filters. GOP settings and matrices where identical in the tests. I didn't turn on the "soften block noise" switch.

In the article there was even claimed that in 2.53 quality decreases if you go from normal motion search to highest quality.

My question would be now: Is there a reason why quality decreased in 2.5x versions compared to 12a (may be compatibility) or are there any differences in the settings which could improve quality in 2.53

Thanks and best regards
Mike

POP  2002-08-29 07:40:26 ( ID:d4a5wuxiwpr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I think I have seen the article, but it is not fair, because it compares only a part of movie or a still picture of a movie.

In my opinion, 2.5X is lot better than 12a, in terms of bitrate allocation, bitrate efficiency, and quality etc.

Plus, 12a is not legally available any more.

MikeH  2002-08-29 08:59:15 ( ID:l3hmeluin1l )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What you write might be correct. But I did compare single frames of my movie as well and I think thats the only possibility to compare two movies (single frames). Since I have a home made video, there are a lot of critical scenes and especially in this scenes I detected a loss of details (due to blocks) in 2.57 whereas the picture was much "clearer" in 12a. Even when I went to high bitrates in 2.57.

Please don't missunderstand me, I really do want to use the new version (of course the user interface has also improved a lot). But may be there are some settings where I can achieve the same quality as in 12a.

Best regards,
Mike

B_Racer  2002-08-29 10:38:13 ( ID:gxmkoa4dlnj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

12a and 2.5x are acting much different (Rate control mode). If you use the same Parameters for both Versions, the 12a may be much better (and much slower).
So you CAN'T use settings from 12a in 2.5x.
If you use the RIGHT settings for version 2.5x, the quality will be a lot better.

Minion  2002-08-29 21:42:09 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If you are useing such High bitrates in your test"s then there shouldn"t be any blocks to notice in either Version,Usually once you get up to 2500kbs the Blocks should have totally dissapeared, Even in high motion scenes..I know in my xsvcd"s there aren"t any Macro blocks at all once the bitrate is above 2500kbs,unless the source file has Macro Blocks then they will allways be transfered to the encoded file.....

Starlight  2002-08-30 05:26:20 ( ID:9ujymxkjqjc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Unless you are making dvd's, mpeg layer 2 with a higher bitrate than 2600 kbps is useless, since that is the max bitrate for svcd.
Also as POP rightfully mentioned, the encoding algorythms of 1.2a and 2.5x are different, you cannot use the settings for 1.2 in 2.5x and expect the same quality. Also the way the input is handled affects the output quality an that's different too in 1.2 and 2.5x.
i have made perfect svcd's with 2.5x couldn't wish for better quality.
take your time to experiment with settings and give special attention to 2-pass VBR with all bitrates (VBR, CQ, CBR) i get a better looking video with 2.5x if the files produced by 1.2 a and 2.5x are approx the same size.
I.M.H.O. TMPGenc is teh best encoder yet. Thanx Hori san.

MikeH  2002-08-30 07:05:19 ( ID:l3hmeluin1l )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

First I think I have to correct myself a bit: Unfortunately, it seems that I didn't compare the same frames. Even if I set the GOP and the number of IPB pictures to the same values in 12a and 2.57 there seems to be a small difference between the starting point of the GOPs (I had exactly the same clip used for both versions). Since the frames are not the same of course I can't really compare them. Therefore, as you all wrote I would now simply assume that there is no quality degradation from 12a to 2.57.

However, another thing worries me a little bit. I use the high bitrates because I want to burn DVDs from my home made videos. However, even at the high bitrates, there are artifacts (block) in scenes with fast motion (of the camera, and of the people or worse: both together). I also saw horizontal mismatch between even and odd lines in preview, even if I changed field order in source or tried to change the field order in Premiere and tmpgenc.

However, I will play around a little bit and I hope to find the correct settings in near future. :)

Best regards,
Mike

ASHY  2002-08-30 19:26:32 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

That article is complete and utter crap.
I'm a mega quality freak and if 12a was any better than the current versions I would be using it.
I saw this article ages ago and decided to do many tests with it.
NON of the claims where founded. I could not reproduce any better quality using 12a with identical settings as the new version. In fact I could not see any difference at all. As for the speed that was the same to the second too.

I don't think the encoding engine of TMPG has changed much in any of it's versions except in one of the versions where it became worse but was then corrected. The main changes in TMPG are it's features.

The only thing I can assume why this particular person got the differences he claims is because of the differences in the way the settings work in the new versions compared to the old versions and had probably misjudged or neglected a setting when making the comparison.

ASHY

Question - Streaming type No.27311
friends  2002-08-29 05:58:04 ( ID:4bbk5n9bato )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

why am i unable to choose the stream type?
where do i choose it?
it's faded and i cannot choose

B_Racer  2002-08-29 10:39:02 ( ID:gxmkoa4dlnj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Use settings -> extra -> unlock.mcf

Question - SUCCESS No.27310
rickki804  2002-08-29 04:56:06 ( ID:mxx4cvozknr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You are NOT going to believe this!!!!After trying everything(thanks for all your help and checks and balances, could not have done it without you)it turned out to be the fact that I had PBC unchecked. I checked the box in VCDeasy, re-wrote it, and it is a beautiful thing. Just call me tanacitious. Not bad for a girl huh guys. Again. If not for all of your input, guidence and patience, I never would have been able to learn this alone. Thanks ever so much. After I am sure that this is down pact....On to the next level of ripping. :-)

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.