TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 444 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Classify Title User name Reply Last update
Question Sound just cuts out lydianp 1 2002-08-18 09:53:47
Question Cutting MPEG-2 file Nico... 1 2002-08-18 09:57:02
Question changed bit rate btnadiga 2 2002-08-18 23:22:34
Question encoding - no sound Walterpk 5 2002-08-18 11:15:37
Question tmpgenc vs. cinemacraft - who's better? Thobo 1 2002-08-17 21:07:56
Free talk Tmpgenc vs CCE: ABS 9 2002-08-17 22:05:16
Question ... stefan 0 2002-08-17 17:51:07
Question TMPGEnc Plus version question jdacunha 4 2002-08-18 16:29:32
Question Video "cannot open or unsupported" WalterPK 2 2002-08-18 23:14:17
Question Audio "cannot open or unsupported" SFDave 4 2002-08-21 01:41:45
Question lots of glitches in encoded mpeg bombastic 1 2002-08-18 08:09:04
Question Avi to VCD Pinder 4 2002-08-17 21:11:08

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 444 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Question - Sound just cuts out No.26715
lydianp  2002-08-18 01:08:47 ( ID:scnfso1ev3j )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

About half the time when I'm encoding an .avi file to a .mpeg - half way through the encoding the audio just stops (fyi the file is about 15 minutes long). The audio is fine on the AVI file - it's there until the end, and the sync on the conversion is fine until the sound vanishes. Any clue how to get it to stop - It's really annoying?

Minion  2002-08-18 09:53:47 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What format is the audio??? Tmpgenc does not like encodeing compressed audio streams and can cause problems like cutting out and the audio just not being there..It is allways a good Idea to extract the audio to a wav file with "virtual dub" then use that as your audio source, cuz tmpgenc encodes wav files the best and seems to only fully support encodeing them...another good this to do is use the external audio encodes for Tmpgenc they are far better than the audio encoder that Tmpgenc has built in..The two that I have tried ate "toolame " and "SCMPX" you can find then on any search engine and you install then in Tmpgenc by going to the "External Tools" in the "enviromental settings".

Question - Cutting MPEG-2 file No.26713
Nico...  Home )  2002-08-17 23:02:04 ( ID:ns4vu4p5in. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hello...

I tried to cut an MPEG-2 files with TMPGEnc but this fonction seems not very stable to me. Do you a free tool that can do this efficiently???

Thanks,
Nico...

Minion  2002-08-18 09:57:02 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The mpeg tools in Tmpgenc arent that stable accept the multiplex works good and de-multiplex but the editor isn"t very reliable, Mpeg2 editors are usually quite expensive cuz mpeg files arent meant to be edited, but there are a few you can try here in the tools section : http://apachez.net/

Question - changed bit rate No.26710
btnadiga  2002-08-17 20:10:21 ( ID:gdrmvaj9os. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'm using Tmpgenc to join a few mpg files. The original mpeg is 2913kbps, but the new mpeg file created by Tmpgenc is about 2200kbps. I would like to know if I'm losing video quality in this join process or is it that Tmpgenc does better encoding than in the original mpeg files. Also, is there a quality setting in the Tmpgenc mpeg encoding process?
Thanks and pls. also send reply to balu@unm.edu if it is not a problem,
Balu

Minion  2002-08-17 21:19:22 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

So you are saying that the Bitrate before you joined the files was higher than after you joined the files??If this is true then it must be a glitch with writeing the header because the joining you files should not decrease the quality or the bitrate, so I wouldn"t worry about it unless you have problems playing the file.....

btnadiga  2002-08-18 23:22:34 ( ID:gdrmvaj9os. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Yes, the bitrate of the original source is higher than in the mpeg file created by TMPGEnc. And, it is not a problem with the header because the size of the new mpeg file is smaller in the right proportion compared to the original mpeg source files.

I can play the new mpeg files fine. But, I'm not sure if I'm just imagining that the original mpeg file seems very slightly better than the new mpeg file created by TMPGEnc.

If you know how 'merge and cut' works in TMPGEnc, I would appreciate it,
Balu

Question - encoding - no sound No.26704
Walterpk  2002-08-17 19:57:07 ( ID:82zqdopxre6 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

tried to check encoding (avi to mpeg) was working after 5 mins. Played the new file which looks good for video but there was no sound at all. should the sound be attached as its encoded or does it happen later in the encoding programme?

Thanks

Minion  2002-08-17 21:22:02 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The audio is not there because the audio is of an unsupported format, you need to extract the audio from your avi file to a Wav file with "virtual dub" but if the audio is AC3 then you will nedd and AC3 decoder to extract the audio to Wav.you should do this with allmost every file so you don"t run into these problems....

Walterpk  2002-08-17 22:10:58 ( ID:82zqdopxre6 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Minion,

Thanks for taking time to reply. This is all new to me, so appreciate your & other peeps patience. Where can i get a walk through (hand held)of exactly what i have to do, re seperating the audio using 'virtualdub' (and at some point merging it properly with the audio file again).

Thanks

Walterpk  2002-08-17 22:15:45 ( ID:82zqdopxre6 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

i mean video file!

dooh!

Minion  2002-08-18 09:33:14 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

It is easy to extract the audio to wav in "Virtual Dub" you just load your file into "virtual dub" by going to "file" to "open" then choose your file then go to "file to "save as wav" then name the fule and it will make a wav file , then you load the avi in to video slot in Tmpgenc and the wav file into the audio slot then just encode normaly...thats it...

Walterpk  2002-08-18 11:15:37 ( ID:82zqdopxre6 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Minion,

Thanks a mill.

just cut my first, and see what you mean. It was pretty straight forward inthe end. Progs are good and seem to do all the hard work.

Cheers,

WalterPK

Question - tmpgenc vs. cinemacraft - who's better? No.26702
Thobo  2002-08-17 18:22:08 ( ID:edy2s85aaw2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

hi all,
i always use tmpgenc to produce my svcds. but now a magazine tested some decoders and gave cinemacraft 95% and tmpgenc (second place) 80% encoding quality...
never tried cinema craft because i think it's too expensive...
does anyone tried cce and can confirm the test?
(sorry for my bad english, hope you understand...)

Minion  2002-08-17 21:07:56 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If used Properly CCE is superior But you are right If is Way to expensive so Tmpgenc is a Better deal, CCE is aimed towards Profesinals cuz I guess Only a Pro Can afford it and CCE does not have the versitillity that Tmpgenc has..Like CCE will not re-size the resolution of your file and doesn"t have any filters...But there are ways around that.....

Free talk - Tmpgenc vs CCE: No.26692
ABS  2002-08-17 18:17:29 ( ID:tmdsptwfkem )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Did a test, with 480x576 B&W file, and used the following settings:
TMPGENC:
2-pass-VBR
avr-2300
max-2596
min-1226
Default Matrix
DC-presicion 8
detect scene change
IBBPBBPBBPBBPBB
Non-interlaced Source/encoding
Motion search: normal

CCE
IBBPBBPBBPBBPBB
Non-interlaced Source, zigzag scan
DC-presicion 8
Default Matrix

One pass VBR (first pass):
Quality 100
Min 1226
Max 2596

Multi Pass VBR (only 1 pass, because that way the total is 2)
avr-2300
min-1226
max-2596

According to "bitrate viewer", both programs didn't do well on the given bitrates:
CCE gave max of 2776 and avr of 2243
TMPGenc gave max of 2713 and avr of 2173

On Quantization level, CCE did much better:
CCE: Peak 7.36 avr 4.35
TMPGenc: Peak 13.48 avr 5.97

However, when actually watching the results, there is an interesting discovery:
Seems like in order to gain better compression, what CCE does is simply redusing the number of brightness levels! True TMPGenc gave more blocking, but it didn't look as bad as the CCE result!

For your thoughts... And soon a color clip test...

Thobo  2002-08-17 18:24:17 ( ID:edy2s85aaw2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

hrhr,
seems we have the same thoughts at the same time...
made also a thread tmpgenc vs. cce

ABS  2002-08-17 18:51:19 ( ID:tmdsptwfkem )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

:-)

By end of next week will also do a test with color clip...

Also, if you want, I can e-mail you snap shots of the "less-brightness levels" effect CCE has...

ABS

Thobo  2002-08-17 19:03:59 ( ID:t5ywbn9z7ej )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

hey, would be nice... :-)
i'm going on to test cce this weekend...

btw: does anyone know how to use the "cyberlink mpg2 decoder" vfapi plugin???
i've installed the cce now, but how can i use this plugin now???

ABS  2002-08-17 19:13:34 ( ID:tmdsptwfkem )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Have no idea... It suppouse to suppourt it?

BTW, sent you the two pictures...

Minion  2002-08-17 21:03:14 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

One thing is that your test is flawed in many respects, in CCE you used the "Multi-pass" but you set it to "1" pass, if you read the manual it says to use the "multipass" properly you need to use at Least 2 passes, setting it to 1 pass only lets CCE do half of the job ,you seem to be under the impression that 1 pass is 2 passes and it isn"t, the method for encodeing between "One Pass VBR and Multi-pass are totally different, it would have been more fair if you set CCE to "One Pass VBR" at least then CCE is doing the whole proscess..In multi-pass the last stage were the encodeing is done it relies totally on the passes that were performed before and does not do a pass while encodeing like it does in the "One Pass VBR" mode, there for one pass is one pass..One of the reasons the results weren"t to your likeing could be cuz you used the "Zig Zag" scanning method which is reserved primarily for Mpeg1..And in the test you did for the "One Pass VBR" you set the Q level Way to High, if you read the manual you would know the higher you set the Q level in "One Pass VBR" the worse the Quality will be, the lower the Better, and you did not set it to the correct Matrix, the default matrix is for bitrates that are above 4000kbs, you should have use the "very low bitrate" matrix...I have done many test with Tmpgenc and CCE and if used correctly CCE will give you Superior results for mpeg2 encodeing every time, but you can"t beat Tmpgenc for it"s mpeg1 encodeing it is probably the best out there and CCE"s mpeg1 is only Marginal, and have found that the "One Pass VBR" in CCE is as good as the Multi-Pass when you have a good source file...Tmpgenc is the best encoder for versitility and has lots of Paremeters to controll the encodeing,I have found that I get the best results in CCE when I use Tmpgenc to Frame serve to CCE through VFAPI, then I get to use most of the settings in Tmpgenc with CCE so it is like Haveing the settings and versitility of Tmpgenc with the encodeing speed and quality of CCE, the best of both worlds......

ABS  2002-08-17 21:23:12 ( ID:tmdsptwfkem )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Well, seems like I did do a mistake regarding the CQ value, but:

I had to set multipass vbr to 1 because first I have to creat the VAF file using "one pass VBR" option, and that is already one pass over the file... If I'd set "Multipass VBR" to 2 that means it reads the file 3 times, and since TMPGE only can do 2 passes it wouldn't be fair play.

I used Zigzag, because the MPEG2 file is prograssive, and ZigZag is for progressive video wether MPEG1 or 2, and besides Tmpegenc uses zigzag too when I set it to Progressive source and encoding.

About the matrix it doesn't matter because the point is that I used same Matrix for both programs...

I will re-test it with the CQ value changed and will tell if anything really changed...

Minion  2002-08-17 21:51:41 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

This is one of the points I was trying to make ,in "multi-pass" it Doesn"t read the file in the encodeing pass for purposes of analizeing the file it just encodes it relying Totally on the Previous Passes for how it allocates the bits, which is totally different than the "One Pass VBR" were it analizes and encodes in the same pass..but trying to compare the settings in Tmpgenc to settings is like compareing apples and oranges..There is not selection of low and high bitrate matrixes in Tmpgenc so compareing the standard matrix in tmpgenc to the standard matrix in CCE just can"t be done fairly...CCE does have some fine tuneing features that can"t be compared to certain features in Tmpgenc like in CCE you can controll the bitrate from Scene to Scene or even second to second and you can adjust the Quantization from scene to scene or second to second, plus it has a built in Bitrate Viewer..Then again Tmpgenc has a whole array of features that CCE doesn"t have..The encodeing method I use I get to use all the settings in Tmpgenc with CCE this way I get better results than either can produce by themselves...every one knows what they like and what ever works for you is best for you which might not be what works for me..all that matters is that every one is happy with the results they get no matter how they get them.....Cheers

ABS  2002-08-17 21:52:56 ( ID:tmdsptwfkem )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Did the same thing, this time creating the VAF file using CBR at 2300, then avr 2300 min 1226 max 2596. Same quality, same all, except that the max bitrate now reaches 2814.

Don't know about color yet, but maybe it's less noticable there, maybe just a bug in B&W encoding (where no color information available)...

ABS  2002-08-17 22:05:16 ( ID:tmdsptwfkem )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

It's just that it analizes the file and save the info in a VAF file. At the same chance it also encodes, but it also creats info on the video. Then basing on the info file, you compress the video. To use the info for compression you need to use the Multipass VBR.

First time in CBR make the VAF, second time it encodes the video based on the VAF.

And tmpgenc? First pass it analizes the video (look at the log file it creates, it masures the motion for each GOP and so selects what bitrate should be used later), second time is actuall compression.

So you see you get the same thing at the end.

About Matrix, the thing is that I use the same Matrix for both programs and that's what matters. If I wanted to use Low bitrate matrix in CCE, nothing would prevent me from simply entering it manually in Tmpgenc, or if needed, he other way from Tmpgenc to CCE.

What I want to see is if I have the same Matrix, same min,avr and max bitrate, which will give better result, simple as that.

Anyway, this is no reason for anger, because at the end it also matters what kind of compression artifacts would disterb each of us more...

ABS

Question - ... No.26691
stefan  2002-08-17 17:51:07 ( ID:gutqj2tsxm2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi
If I try to encode DV-Material as VCD with bitrates > 2000 kbps the total playtime shown in Mediaplayer of the encoded Video differs from the source video's total playtime (about twice as long).
Im also unable to scroll the video to another position...
The error occurs sometimes, but not always ?!?
Why does this error occur and is it possible to rescue the encodet material ?

Thx, Stefan

Question - TMPGEnc Plus version question No.26686
jdacunha  2002-08-17 14:54:07 ( ID:z8/b3bwft7r )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'm still using version 2.53 Is there any real reason to go to newest version?

POP  2002-08-17 16:41:58 ( ID:d4a5wuxiwpr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If you are happy about what you have, there is no reason to go for newer
version, but why don't you try newest version, since you can try more than
2 version on the same computer by extracting those different location.
Just make sure you configure VFAPI plug-in location for both version
properly.

TMPGEnc usually becomes strict about accepting files as it is developed,
In another words, there seems to be theory/policy on TMPGEnc's development.

Older version may accepts more different files which may have corrupt
frame(s), or which may be wrong/illegal file format, in return, the
quality/result may be worse than newer version.
One more point is that nobody develops/fixes older version any more,
so this may be disadvantage in some case.

Newer version may accept less different type of file(s) which are only:
1. decoded properly through right/correct/accurate/specific decoder
2. within certain standard(s) such as MPEG, AVI etc.
In return, the quality/result would be better than older version.

This is how I felt, and using older version is OK I think, if you like it.

Minion  2002-08-17 21:28:41 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The newest version has better support for accepting Mpeg2 files, and the encodeing speed might be slightly better but other than that there isn"t any real differance accept there is a "cut editing" feature in the source range that I don"t think was in the 2.53 version.......

jdacunha  2002-08-18 01:55:08 ( ID:mxx4cvozknr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks guys for the info. Sometimes upgrading means new troubles so I'll stick with 2.53 for now. Anyone tried Studio 8 yet? Just go it and will post some comments next week.

Thobo  2002-08-18 16:29:32 ( ID:edy2s85aaw2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

@minion: I have found that I get the best results in CCE when I use Tmpgenc to Frame serve to CCE through VFAPI!!!!!!

how does this work???

Question - Video "cannot open or unsupported" No.26683
WalterPK  2002-08-17 14:52:39 ( ID:82zqdopxre6 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Plz help a newbie. I've downloaded an avi file that i want to make into a vcd, but as soon as i try to put it in the video source box, it throws up the message "cannot open or unsupported". (stream type set as system, (video + audio))

any pointers gratefully received as i can only find reference to similar probs with audio, and i havent even got that far yet!

thanks,

WalterPK

Minion  2002-08-17 21:13:49 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

This IS the most Common Question asked hereso it has been answered Hundreds of times , you need to raise the priority of the "Direct show File Reader" in the "Vfapi Plugins" you do thid by going to "options" to "enviromental settings" to "vfapi Plugins" then raise the "direct Show" to "2"......

Robert S.  2002-08-18 23:14:17 ( ID:knywcrnsfsf )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I am getting the same error "cannot open or unsupported", with "direct Show" set to "2". I have tried 6 or 7 avi files with the same results. I have one avi file that gives me a different error, its "Can't load P3Package.dll" Is this two different issues or are they somehow related?

Question - Audio "cannot open or unsupported" No.26678
SFDave  2002-08-17 07:29:15 ( ID:rciq4rr.c/n )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

With versions before 2.54 and before, I was able to open MPEG-2 files and convert them to VCDs (mpeg-1). But with version 2.57, it gives an error that the audio file "can not open or unsupported". Is there a way to restore the old functionality?

bombastic  2002-08-17 07:34:08 ( ID:nsaxjv/ogca )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

i have the same problem. i use a program called ac3dec to extract the audio stream and then just use that as an audio source. you could try flaskmpeg.

bombastic  2002-08-17 07:38:03 ( ID:nsaxjv/ogca )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

i have the same problem. i use a program called ac3dec to extract the audio stream and then just use that as an audio source. you could try flaskmpeg.

Minion  2002-08-17 07:43:56 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Why do you want to encode the audio from a mpeg file?? the audio is allready in the correct format for mpeg , you just de-mux your mpeg file and just encode the video then after encodeing you just mux the audio with the video that was newly encoded...Tmpgenc has never fully supported compressed audio formats, it will encode then sometimes but the chances of and error occuring with the audio is greater..Tmpgenc only Fully supports Wav files...about 30% of the questions that get asked on this BBS are about poeple who encode files and no audio being in the mpeg file because the audio is some form of compressed format......

Anonymous  2002-08-21 01:41:45 ( ID:8bou0.7/i0r )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Quoting M. Bastian:
"More than 75 mins SVCD or 90 mins VCD 16:9 PAL video WONT look good on an 80 mins CD.
4:3 movies need higher bitrate than 16:9 movies.
Forget the kvcd templates."

That's a joke, isn't it?
How about 65-68 minutes on ONE 80 minute CD with this quality?
http://ns1.shidima.com/kwag/KVCD_704x480_PLUS.mpg

Yes, me! ;)

Question - lots of glitches in encoded mpeg No.26676
bombastic  2002-08-17 07:12:18 ( ID:nsaxjv/ogca )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

i encode from perfectly good DV or MPEG2 files to MPEG1 and i always get random glitches, like part of the video might flash green, or jerk for a second (shouldnt happen, i am running 1200mhz pc). any of you guys had a similar problem? the video looks fine before i encode it and then it develops all these artifacts that shouldnt be there...

Steve  2002-08-18 08:09:04 ( ID:lkg81ytreon )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Yes- it's happened to me too. Are you playing back in Windows Media Player? Try using WinDVD instead. Also, try to decrease your audio bitrate to 128. That worked for me. I'm surprised more people don't report this problem.

Question - Avi to VCD No.26671
Pinder  2002-08-17 07:08:38 ( ID:cgx3nbhwwxm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have converted an avi file to mpeg using this then used Nere Express to burn as vcd. When playing in my dvd player -which plays vcd's-I cannot see thew picture but hear only the sound?? Any suggestions???

bombastic  2002-08-17 07:17:57 ( ID:nsaxjv/ogca )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

hmm i had that problem before...
did you use the VCD template in tmpg to encode it? make sure you select the right one... NTSC/PAL etc.
because dvd players are picky when it comes to resolution, bitrate and that i think

Minion  2002-08-17 07:18:01 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The first sugestion is to Watch your movie when you are done encodeing so you know there is a Picture and you don"t waste CD-R"s..There is not going to be a picture if you do not see the movie in the Tmpgenc screen while encodeing, and if there is no picture while encodeing then you need to raise the priority of the "Direct Show File Reader" you do this by going to "options" to "enviromental settings" to "vfapi plugins" then raise the "direct show" to "2"....

Pinder  2002-08-17 12:03:31 ( ID:cgx3nbhwwxm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

>The first sugestion is to Watch your movie when you are done encodeing so you know there is a Picture and you don"t waste CD-R"s..There is not going to be a picture if you do not see the movie in the Tmpgenc screen while encodeing, and if there is no picture while encodeing then you need to raise the priority of the "Direct Show File Reader" you do this by going to "options" to "enviromental settings" to "vfapi plugins" then raise the "direct show" to "2"....

Hi there and thanks for this. Whilst encoding I did NOT see any picture. How and where do I rectify this. When I click on File > Preview I do not see a picture. Is it because their is a problem.The 2 files are AVI's and I have no problem viewing normally.

Minion  2002-08-17 21:11:08 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The answer is in the Post!!you need to raise the "direct show file reader"....

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.