TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 510 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Classify Title User name Reply Last update
Question takes a long time to encode laura 6 2002-06-27 21:46:10
Question Video is out of sync with audio. 2 Questions. User 1 2002-06-26 00:36:19
Question the resolution shrinks to 1 third? MercPaladin 1 2002-06-25 22:39:25
Question Doesnt finish what it started Mehul 3 2002-06-26 18:31:53
Question Multiple Avi Convert ? scarface 1 2002-06-25 17:28:01
Question Is there anyway TMPGEnc can run on LInux? rs008f 4 2002-06-26 08:39:14
Question General video encoding question: MPEG Layer 3 Audio compression SomeGuy 1 2002-06-25 15:44:29
Question MP43 Encoding theBREADboyz 1 2002-06-25 21:48:39
Question file cannot open or unsupported Jerryd 3 2002-06-26 00:40:28
Question Using Output to avi does not bring audio... L. D. James 7 2002-06-26 19:12:36
Question Problem with Cutting S_O 1 2002-06-25 21:43:31
Request Delayed shutdown Joda 1 2002-06-25 16:13:04

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 510 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Question - takes a long time to encode No.23952
laura  2002-06-26 01:37:47 ( ID:wzmbxqum8mj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Is it just me or does it normally take about an hour and a half to encode about one half of a movie? Are there any tips you can give me on how to cut down some of this time? There has got to be a faster way without giving up too much of the quality. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
laura

Minion  2002-06-26 02:06:05 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You are lucky that it encodes so fast it takes about 8-10 hours to encode a 90min movie on my 800mhz p3(overclocked to 1ghz)system and that is on the fastest setting.I"m jelous you must have a fast system....

vhdlman  2002-06-26 12:28:57 ( ID:djn.03fs6rk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi

I use a P4-1.7GHz Compaq and "Black Hawk Down" (2hr 45mins) took 22 Hours!!
(2200CBR-Slow(High quality)-Noise Reduction on)

Later

VHDL-man

Minion  2002-06-26 21:32:24 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi vhdlman,did you make sure that your cpu optimizations are on? I just did "A beautifull Mind" to vcd 2 hours 20 min, on high quality in 8.5 hours and mt system is half the speed as yours, and I haven"t noticed and real quality differance between high quality and highest quality accept that it takes a lot longer to encode.....

mGuru  2002-06-27 03:49:04 ( ID:/j6tolid1dr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

All ya'll need to chill ;|

It takes me 50-60 hours to do a 120 min movie. Be happy with what you have, it could be much, much worse.

mGuru

mGuru  2002-06-27 03:54:01 ( ID:/j6tolid1dr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Minion,

Heres the rule on the Motion Estimate:

1. For Proressive sources, never use Highest Quality as it overcompensates. High Quality will give you the best results.
2. For Interlaced sources, Highest Quality gives best results, but in most scenes it will be indistinguishable from High Quality. Highest Quality tends to double the encode time over High Quality, so its a big toss up. Probably best to do a test encode with both settings on a high speed section to see if it is worth it...but you probably already know that ;)

Greetz...
mGuru

ASHY  2002-06-27 21:46:10 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

50-60 hours??!!
Throw that 486 away and get a proper PC.
If you aint got a 486 then there is something seriously wrong with your settings.

ASHY

Question - Video is out of sync with audio. 2 Questions. No.23950
User  2002-06-25 23:47:53 ( ID:xaagdma.afc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

1. I have some trouble keeping the video and audio in sync with eachother. I thought that it was the fps, which I tried to fix. I got a movie that is 25fps, and I was doing it at 23.976fps. So I fixed that, and it got better, but it was still a little bit off. I thought it may be because I set a constant bitrate to where the movie would fit on 2 CDs, so I put it on Constant Quality, but the movie would end up on 3 CDs, and 2 CDs is plenty enough. Any suggestions?
2. I have a movie that is 20fps and TMPGEnc does not accept the avi. What do I do? I used other programs, but the audio and video were out of sync when I encoded the movie into an mpg.

Minion  2002-06-26 00:36:19 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

When you encode to a frame rate different than your source file that is what happens, and to fix it is a bit tedious but I will try to tell you the basics,first you need to extract the audio from your avi file , then you download a program called "avi frame rate converter" and change the frame rate of your avi file from 20fps to 23.98fps, this will in turn make your audio track longer than your video file so you will need a good audio editing program like "cool edit" it has a feature that will allow you to shrink your audio file, so you will need to find out "EXACTLY" how long your new avi file is and use the shrinking function in cool edit to shrink the audio file to the exact same length as your video file, once you have done that the audio and video file "should" sync up, to find out exactly how long your new avi file is you load the avi into tmpgenc and go the the source range and the length should be displayed there..I think you can find the frame rate converter in the "tools" section in "vcdhelp.com".This procedure is not for those who do not have much experience with these sorts of things but you got to learn some how, but one little tip is it might be easier to shrink the audio to your video after you have encoded the video to a "m2v" file.If you want more detailed instructions you can e-mail me and I"ll try to help out, and to get your avi loaded into tmpgenc (you said tmpgenc wont read your file) "options" to "enviromental settings" to "vfapi plugins" and raise the "direct show" plugin to "2"...good luck....

Question - the resolution shrinks to 1 third? No.23948
MercPaladin  2002-06-25 19:07:32 ( ID:w29btrivx/m )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

i converted .avi files to .mpg but when i watched them the resolution greatly decreases (when not full screened) making the grafics also decrease. is there any way i can make it the same graphics/resolution as the original .avi file?

Minion  2002-06-25 22:39:25 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

In the main settings screen at the top you just choose the resolution you want, you might have to load the "unlock.mfc" template from the extra folder to unlock the settings......

Question - Doesnt finish what it started No.23944
Mehul  2002-06-25 17:40:17 ( ID:knpcm6li9qh )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hello:
I am trying to convert some MOV files to mpeg so I can make a VCD (these are the BMW films). I get through to about 1:30 into the movie and it stops and says there isnt enough memory. There is about 900 MB on my HD and I have 382 MB of RAM with a Pentium 3.
Can anyone help me with why it might say that?
Mehul

ASHY  2002-06-25 17:44:02 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You need to increase your virtual memory.

ASHY

Mehul  2002-06-25 18:01:00 ( ID:knpcm6li9qh )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

How do I do that?

ASHY  2002-06-26 18:31:53 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Whats your operating system?

Question - Multiple Avi Convert ? No.23942
scarface  2002-06-25 16:40:26 ( ID:kmuinhlsjww )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have various different Avi Files i would like to make a Sample VCD .
Is there a way to mark them all and tmpegenc will encode them all to MPG .???
Means all avi's get the same mpg , so i can merge them .

ASHY  2002-06-25 17:28:01 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Join them all using virtualdub and frameserve to TMPG.
Virtualdub has instructions in the help files how to do this.

ASHY

Question - Is there anyway TMPGEnc can run on LInux? No.23937
rs008f  2002-06-25 16:01:55 ( ID:jaslasbhwqk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I manage to open it with WIne but unable to encode anything. If I install DIvx for linux, will it be able to encode DIvx files?

Minion  2002-06-25 21:50:55 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Tmpgenc only runs on "Windows" operateing systems and there is no plan to make it run on any other O.S.

M.Bastian  2002-06-26 00:15:23 ( ID:lh1udvptj1c )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

It works with wine for me but you cant install it with an fake windows directory. I did install an machine( actually vmware) with Win98 and all addons I need. After testing out if all works I copy the whole C partition to the linux side. Encoding is rock solid and nearly as fast as on the windows side. DVD2AVI works too.

rs008f  2002-06-26 04:30:24 ( ID:jaslasbhwqk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Is the encoding speed slower in Linux than in Windows though?

>It works with wine for me but you cant install it with an fake windows directory. I did install an machine( actually vmware) with Win98 and all addons I need. After testing out if all works I copy the whole C partition to the linux side. Encoding is rock solid and nearly as fast as on the windows side. DVD2AVI works too.

M.Bastian  2002-06-26 08:39:14 ( ID:vljrcsq3gdr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Really cant say exactly cause I have dedicated Boxes for Linux and WinXP. My AthlonXP 1700+ WinXP Box is considerably slower than my dual P III 1100 Mhz Linux Box(with checked SMP box of course)

Question - General video encoding question: MPEG Layer 3 Audio compression No.23935
SomeGuy  2002-06-25 15:10:38 ( ID:b9b3ni2mgug )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

This doesn't really have anything to do with TMPGEnc ... and more with VirtualDub, but how do I encode a video file using MPEG Layer 3 codecs? I always encounter these files but have been unable to produce one with this type of audio compression... can someone lend me any pointers? tips? thanx

SomeGuy  2002-06-25 15:44:29 ( ID:b9b3ni2mgug )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Nevermind guys... i just found the answer...thanx

Question - MP43 Encoding No.23933
theBREADboyz  2002-06-25 13:34:36 ( ID:iqssdbyxenl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have found this product an excellent encoder and has worked with many divx formats. I am trying to encode mp43's, Divx3 and divx 4 to mpeg1 format for burning with Nero 5.5.

I have ran into a road block and keep getting messages stating that MP43 are not supported. Am I doing something wrong? Is there another product or process I must take before encoding these? Seems Divx 3 and 4 may be the same problem.

By purchasing TMpeg Plus will these problems be corrected? Any suggestions on how to get5 over this hurdle would be appreciated!

Minion  2002-06-25 21:48:39 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Your answer is in post # 9552 Right below this one....

Question - file cannot open or unsupported No.23929
Jerryd  2002-06-25 13:11:07 ( ID:i1ycumbwsza )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

When i try to convert avi files to vcd, it tells me the file i try to use is unsupported or cannot open. these are avi files which i can have viewed with my divx player, so i know they work. help!!!!!!!

Minion  2002-06-25 21:47:05 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You probably need to raise the priority of your "direct show" plugin, ypu do this by going to "options" to "enviromental settings" to "vfapi plugins" then right click on the "direct show" plugin and raise the priority to "2", this should get it loaded.and make sure you have the proper codecs to decode the file.

logansmith  2002-06-25 22:46:03 ( ID:yjugllmhu1w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Please Please help me, I have tried all you have suggested and I am still getting the error "cannot open or is unsupported".

I downloaded the mpg files the software encoded the first one but will not encode the 2nd or 3rd.

Please help me please.

Minion  2002-06-26 00:40:28 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If you downloaded "MPEG" files then why don"t you just burn them as they are? if they are mpeg2 files then you need the "mpeg2 vfapi plugin" and you might need to de-multiplex the mpeg and load the files in seperately...

Question - Using Output to avi does not bring audio... No.23921
L. D. James  2002-06-25 13:09:17 ( ID:zbifpebajmj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Can someone advise me why when using the File--> Output to File --> avi doesn't encode audio. The resulting avi file is just video without sound.

Can someone advise me what can be done to output a file that has both audio and video as outputing to mpg will bring.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.

-- L. James

-----------
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Hataian  2002-06-25 16:12:07 ( ID:ampx/sl4ryn )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Maybe you didn't select "system(Video+Audio)"in the settings on the Tmpgenc
main screen and that's the reason for the missing audio.

L. D. James  2002-06-25 16:26:25 ( ID:zbifpebajmj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks for the input. I did select System(Video+Audio) in the stream type. I can use File--> Output to File --> Mpeg and it will encode both audio and video. However, if it choose Avi rather than Mpeg only the video will be encoded.

Are you able to use File --> Output to File --> Avi and get both video and audio in the output avi file?

-- L. James

----------
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

L. D. James  2002-06-25 21:35:26 ( ID:zbifpebajmj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks for the input. I did select System(Video+Audio) in the stream type. I can use File--> Output to File --> Mpeg and it will encode both audio and video. However, if it choose Avi rather than Mpeg only the video will be encoded.

Are you able to use File --> Output to File --> Avi and get both video and audio in the output avi file?

-- L. James

----------
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Minion  2002-06-25 22:04:26 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Try useing "virtual dub" to make avi files, that is what it is designed for and it is faster than tmpgenc.......

wcpaul  2002-06-25 23:48:27 ( ID:q7gr550x3gw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Conversion of MPEG to AVI is one of TMPGEnc's neatest features and works much better now in 2.56. This is a crucial step when archiving raw video footage in 4:2:2 and extracting later with virtually no loss.

Serving from DVD2AVI into virtualDub and merging audio from a wav file never ends up with synced for me.

The audio problem is one of three things: forgetting to check the audio box on the save dialog, forgetting to set the audio interleave to 1, or most likely, using the m2v.vfp or DVD2AVI readers which do not seem to process audio.

In the last case, when you open the video file in the main window, the audio line goes blank.

Solution: Make sure directshow/VFW reader is higher in the environmental priority list than m2v or dvd2avi. It you don't have a good MPEG2 VFW decoder, pay $30 for Etymonics decoder. It flawlessly decodes 4:2:2 video that Ligos can not handle.

L. D. James  2002-06-26 13:19:38 ( ID:zbifpebajmj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thank you, wcpaul. The interleave option was the culprit. I really preferred to use Tmpgenc over virtualdub. I hated to go out and pay for another package that I would still have to learn to configure. Since Tmpgenc does every thing very well (now that it outputs sound with AVI), I'll pay the registration for it.

Virtualdub is a great program also. One of the things that Tmpgenc has over Virtualdub in this regards is that you can save a lot of time in outputting the filename. When you use the output option it remembers the name of the file you're working with and uses this as the default. If you're creating a batch to do 10 or 15 files it's a big time saver not to have to continue to type in filenames for each one of them. Just specify an encoding director and conveniently have all the proper names of your files in this new directory.

Using the key stroke shortcut makes things even faster. Just drag and drop your video to tmpgenc then hit Cntl-Alt-A to add it to your batch.

I would like to thank everyone for your input.

-- L. James

----------
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

wcpaul  2002-06-26 19:12:36 ( ID:q7gr550x3gw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Well, going back to try this again I found another failure mode.

TMPGEnc AVI output is VERY sensative to how the Directshow filter graph gets built when using Directshow to input an MPEG file.

I installed a new ATI DVD player just two nights ago and after that, TMPGEnc failed to output audio with the AVI. I dropped the MPEG file into Graphedit and, sure enough, there was a weird filter in the audio path. The file played fine in Graphedit and WM Player.

After unregistering the ATI (Ravisent) filters, I got back the Etymonics audio filter and TMPG now outputs AVI with audio. Son-of-a-bitch!! I'm glad I checked this so soon after installing the DVD player otherwise I never would have suspected it.

As it turns out, my Ulead editor (should be called Uncompatible) can not read large openDML AVI files. So I am ending up using DVD2AVI and vfapi-conv to frameserve video into the editor and TMPGEnc just extract an audio WAV file.

After cutting off blank audio from the beginning of the WAV clip, the sound syncs up well. MPA audio file from DVD2AVI seems to be offset AND stretched.

The converted/synced clip is saved and read back in for editing. (The response time of editing huffyuv AVI on the Ulead timeline blows away direct MPEG editing.)

Question - Problem with Cutting No.23919
S_O  2002-06-25 13:07:31 ( ID:mpr4lvx5kro )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

When I want to make an SVCD, after encoding I mux it and then I cut it, both with TMPGEnc. I noticed that TMPGEnc demuxes the file while cutting and then it muxes it again. Wouldn¡­t it be easier (and faster) if you could cut the unmuxt files (m2v, mp2) directly with muxt output? Is that possible? Also it would be great if in the cut dialog not only the time is shown, also the frame number and the type of the frame (I, P or B) and the number of GOP, because an movie has to start with an I-frame and end with and full GOP (I could be wrong). Another problem in cutting is that DirectShow is used to decode the video, the MPEG-2 Decoders/Splitters on my system are very slow and the crashes often, so TMPGEnc often crashes while searching for the right cutting point. Is it possible to use an other MPEG-2 Decoder (for example mpeg2dec.dll) as external tool for this function?

Minion  2002-06-25 21:43:31 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You would be better off to use a different editing program to cut your mpeg"s ,the mpeg tools are notorius for crashing if you even look at them wrong,I use "bbmpeg" cuz it cut as it multiplexes and it"s free...

Request - Delayed shutdown No.23917
Joda  2002-06-25 11:57:42 ( ID:xasyupiq0/c )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

It would be usefull a delayed shutdown to let the cpu fan cools down the processor afer a long encoding session
Thanks

Hataian  2002-06-25 16:13:04 ( ID:ampx/sl4ryn )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Go to http://www.geocities.com/moonredsoftware
and download the program Mr. Shutdown.

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.