TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 548 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Classify Title User name Reply Last update
Question estimating file size Jules 2 2002-06-01 11:30:54
Question CQ setting Oscar 1 2002-06-01 02:28:04
Question Update on "Interlace Artifacts" Oscar 6 2002-06-03 13:21:54
Question Why am i getting an error message Skap 2 2002-06-01 15:13:07
Question help with compliance mpeg2 kieranc 1 2002-06-01 01:04:26
Question VCD reduced bitrate puzzle Flash 3 2002-06-01 07:08:21
Question Problems with msvcrt.dll DrKnow 1 2002-06-01 00:41:17
Bug report Audio Sync problems when cut and merging mpeg2 files Fatboy 2 2002-06-05 20:48:50
Question How to make one part of 2 .AVI parts? Jan smith 1 2002-05-31 18:01:04
Bug report Audio Problems cjbarr 3 2002-05-31 18:10:01
Question Making selectable subtiles Mickey 1 2002-05-31 15:00:47
Question Mergin 2 audio streems Mickey 0 2002-05-31 14:26:32

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 548 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Question - estimating file size No.22415
Jules  2002-06-01 02:55:30 ( ID:sbezb30us6n )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I am confused...I am encoding avi to SVCD. When I encode I am using CQ max 4000 min 1800. I can get 50 min on one cd, but when I have a larger movie say 56-57 min I have to drop the max to 2000 and min to 1400-1500...its only another 7 min...why do I have to drop it so much...and how can I tell what my file size is before I encoded the whole 57 min to find out it is too big for a 80 min 700meg cd. I have tried downloading different bitrate calculators but they are wrong...is there a better way to know how big the file will be...this is driving me crazy!!!!! I have asked before and people tell me that I shouldn't have too lower it that much, and some say its not the max bitrate but the min bitrate too worry about but thats not true either...did a test of my own and found that it depends on both!
Please any help on a easier way would be much appreciated.

Another quick question...the noise filter in tmpenc 2.53...what are some good settings to use...tried to use the defaults and movie looked like shit...can someone explain the three options in there...is it good to lower or raise them...

thanks
Jules

Minion  2002-06-01 07:07:22 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

It isn"t the max bitrate that you should be adjusting cuz the encoder rarely ever uses the max amount of bits, you should adjust the minimum bitrate the most cuz the actual average bitrate is closer to the minimum than to the maximum,I encode svcd"s with a maximum of 8000kbs and a minimum of 1500kbs and get about 45 minutes on a cd but I use a different encodeing method than you but not much different..

ASHY  2002-06-01 11:30:54 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Yes Jules, I know where you are coming from with this, because I had told you not to reduce the Max bitrate so much.

I regularly fit 2 hr movies on to 2 80 mins cd's. You should only need to reduce the max bitrate down to something like 3000-3500 and the minimum down to 1500 and reduce the quality slider down 5 or 10. Reducing the audio to 128 will help keep the file size down even further.

This always works for me in most cases Jules, what you need to remember as a rule is this.
If you have a high action movie the file size will tend to be larger due to the fact that higher bitrates will be used throughout the movie by the encoder to account for this and give you a decent image quality.
Then on the other hand if a movie of the same length is a slow moving more static movie then the file size will be smaller due to lower bitrates being used by the encoder.

This is what makes it difficult to judge the resulting file size.

The general method I use to find out the size roughly, and this more less gives me the right information, is to encode one or two minutes of a typical scene in the movie.

Now here comes the maths.
It is possible to have an average of around 13mb of movie per minute on 2 80min cd's for a 2hr movie.

So to work out the final size you would encode 1 min of movie, check the file size, lets say it is 11mb then multiply that by the length of the movie which will give us 11mb x 120min for a 2hr movie which = 1320 mb which will easily fit on 2 disks.
Using this method you should always shoot for the maximum amount of bitrate you can have in 1 min of movie without going over the final full size of the movie.

For example, for a 2 hr movie you would work out the average bitrate per minute by dividing 2 x 800(80min) = 1600 mb by 120 min = 13.333 mb/min

This would let you use an average bitrate of 13mb per min of movie, but remember this will fluctuate up and down, so some minutes in the movie will have a smaller size some will have a larger size.
As I say it is only average and this is only a general guide, but it gives you something to aim for and if you encode more than a minute, lets say 5 min, you will get a more accurate representation of the final output size.
I leave you to do the maths with that one.

The only other thing I will add is that I use all these calculations with the standard audio bitrate of 224, if the calculations are slightly off and the file size is bigger than expected, then you can always re-encode the audio with a lower bitrate thus shrinking the file size, this is one reason why I always encode my audio separately because I never know if I have to reduce it or not to accomadate the file size.

Hope this explains ok and is helpful to you Jules.

ASHY

Question - CQ setting No.22413
Oscar  2002-06-01 01:37:03 ( ID:1i8oh0qt9xr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I read earlier that for compressing DV to mpeg-2, the CQ encoding mode usually gives better quality than the others. The default in CQ is "65". Has anyone noticed a significant quality increase by moving that to "90" or "100". I noticed it does make the files a bit larger...

Oscar

Minion  2002-06-01 02:28:04 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Moveing the slider closer to "100" just allocates more bits to the encodeing, you will get better quality but your file size will be bigger ..

Question - Update on "Interlace Artifacts" No.22406
Oscar  2002-06-01 01:35:13 ( ID:1i8oh0qt9xr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

In previous post, reported jagged edges of mpeg-2 output from DV camera compression. Was seeing this in WinMedia player but couldn't get mpeg-2 to run in WinDVD.

After WinDVD install, all runs fine -- and LOOKS fine. Turned out the ragged edges only show up in WinMedia. Lesson learned: never look at file quality with WinMedia.

It now appears I don't need to use the de-interlace filter. For compressing DV (Sony camera) to mpeg-2 is it usually "normal" to not have to use de-interlace filter? I'm guessing "yes" since I can't see any improvement now with using the filter (viewing in WinDVD or PowerDVD)

Oscar

ASHY  2002-06-01 02:32:05 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

STOP.
Your being fooled by WinDVD and PowerDVD.
The movie still has interlacing artifacts, but it is being hidden by the WinDVD and Power DVD de-interlacing filters.
If you don't believe me just click the display tab in WinDVD properties and uncheck the filters.
Turn these filters off and your interlacing artifacts will look just the same as Mediplayer shows it.
If you don't de-interlace the movie it will still have interlacing artifacts when you play it on your set top DVD player.

ASHY

Oscar  2002-06-01 03:36:19 ( ID:1i8oh0qt9xr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Interesting... Maybe it's because I have the "OEM" versions of WinDVD (2000), and PowerDVD, but there is no filter enable/disable screen in either.

Also, when in TMPGenc I double click on the interlace filter and "play" the clip there with default to "none" as well as "Even-Odd(field)" for example (playing within TMPGenc), I don't see much difference. When I saw the interlace artifacts in WinMedia, they were VERY exagerated (the clip was almost unwatchable).

So, the "normal" practice is to have to de-interlace DV material on your way to a good mpeg-2 ??

Oscar

Richard  2002-06-01 08:20:25 ( ID:kwfsrhnna/w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Yes, because your DV camera records interlaced frames.

ASHY  2002-06-01 11:45:02 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

It is there in ALL versions of Power DVD and WinDVD, you're not looking in the right place.

To find it in WinDVD, open WinDVD, right click on the window then click properties from the menu, a box will pop up.
Click the tab that says 'Display' and you will see some options.
One of those options will be 'custom quality options'.
Click 'low' where it says 'quality' and all the options should become unchecked in particular 'software bob(de-interlacing).

Now have a look at your movie.

Also don't forget your only looking at it frame by frame in TMPG, so it won't look as bad as it would be if was played because only certain frames have interlacing artifacts.
You need to find a frame with interlacing artifacts in TMPG using the de-interlace filter set to none and then apply one of the settings to see which looks best.

ASHY

Oscar  2002-06-02 02:08:19 ( ID:1i8oh0qt9xr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Nope, those options are not there... Probably because it's an older version... On the Properties>Display Tab there are 2 check boxes and that's the only choices. They are:
- Lock Aspect Ratio
- Startup in full screen mode

Probably I'll need to get an upgraded/newer version. This WinDVD is what came with my Dell 8100 about a year ago.

In powerDVD (which came with my new Pioneer 104), I go to Properties>Video, then click the Advanced button, my only choices there are:
Video Mode
-- Auto Select
-- Force bob
-- Force weave
Then screen resolution for 4:3 and 16:9

This appears to be a crippled version, since it doesn't support Dolby 5.1, etc. Have to buy an upgrade to get the good stuff.

Oscar

ASHY  2002-06-03 13:21:54 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I would download the latest version of WinDVD. You must have an old version because I have all versions of WINDVD 2000 2.4 upward and the options are in all of them.

As for PowerDVD if you uncheck:
-- Auto Select
-- Force bob
-- Force weave
You should then see the interlacing lines.

ASHY

Question - Why am i getting an error message No.22403
Skap  2002-06-01 01:17:47 ( ID:h8qrv0bl5aw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The movie takes about 16 hours for the first 70 minutes to encode on TMPGE and it encodes fine until it gets to about 6 seconds left. When its gets to the last couple seconds there will be an error message saying illegal operation or error has occured. Why is it waiting until the last few seconds and what can i do to stop it. Thanks for your help.

Minion  2002-06-01 02:23:04 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

There is probably an error at that point in the avi file you are encodeing, you can try to encode the remaining six seconds of your file and join the two parts together with the merge and cut feature..

Skap  2002-06-01 15:13:07 ( ID:h8qrv0bl5aw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The error occurs with all of the movie files that i try to encode. They are all different movies. How do you encode the last few seconds if that is all i can do.

Question - help with compliance mpeg2 No.22401
kieranc  2002-06-01 00:42:03 ( ID:8yfrh0k0y/a )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

help please

i have downlaoded three svcds from web and extracted the mpeg files rom these.
i want to play with the files such as join them and convert file type.so i tried tmpg which i have used before and file type is not liked basically
cannnot load or is unsupported so i tied multiplexing it because of reading about it. when i do this it ony processes about half of each of my files but the actual processed amount varies from one file to the other. in sort i now have half of each file no good. any other ways to make these files become accepted in editing software please.

i have tried many programs so im gonna need some help here thanks

ASHY  2002-06-01 01:04:26 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Do you have an MPEG2 codec installed so TMPG can open the files?

ASHY

Question - VCD reduced bitrate puzzle No.22397
Flash  2002-05-31 22:10:31 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hmm I'm puzzled and hope someone can help.
I have a VCD movie which spans just on to two CDs so I thought I would re-encode with a slightly lower bitrate to fit on one CD. Easy I thought, so I used a bitrate calc to work out the 969 bitrate and set the parameters in TMP ensuring the audio was the same (128) and set to encode overnight.
But the resultant file is the same size as the original (give or take a few kilobytes). So I checked the bitrates of the files with a bitrate viewer and a mpeg properties viewer and they both state following.
Original bitrate - 1.246Mbit/s (Audio 128kbit/s)
New file - 969Mbit/s (Audio 128kbit/s)
I also checked the Mpeg information in Virtualdub which just confirmed the above.
The original file was mpeg1 and an animation film (PAL 25fps).
Tmpgenc - standard VCD Pal unlocked and frame rate changed (audio also reduced down to 128)
Any help please as I don't know whats going on.
Can mpeg1 have a variable bit rate? could this be the answer?

Flash

Minion  2002-05-31 22:41:26 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Yes mpeg2 can have "VBR" but only if you choose "VBR" as your encodeing method.. if you want to have the file smaller and not loose quality use a "VBR" encodeing method, try these settings, use "CQ, with a max of 1150kbs and a minimum of 500kbs with a quality of about 75, this should give you a smaller file size with out looseing too much quality, but beware that useing bitrates lower than the standard will greatly reduce the quality especialy if you are encodeing a mpeg file to a mpeg file....

ASHY  2002-06-01 00:28:11 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

This is an easy one and catches a few people out.
The reason the bitrate is the same is because you havn't changed the stream type to MPEG1 VCD(non standard)
If you just change the bitrate to a lower value without changing the stream type then TMPG will just add padding to make the VCD a standard compatible VCD.

The next time you encode a non standard VCD click the 'system' tab in 'settings' and change the strean type to 'MPEG1 VCD(non standard)'.

To fix the file you have already encoded, just run it through the 'simple multiplex' option in 'MPEG tools' and choose 'MPEG1 VCD(non standard) as the type. This will then reduce the file size of the movie to what it should have been.

ASHY

Flash  2002-06-01 07:08:21 ( ID:7kjd/8/p7bh )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

So much to learn and so little time.

Thanks for the help

Flash

Question - Problems with msvcrt.dll No.22395
DrKnow  2002-05-31 21:57:21 ( ID:afgtcofzqgf )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi,

evertime i start encode i get the message "Error 10H in Modul MSVCRT.DLL at 0187:7802e0af".

What does this mean? Is there a solution for this problem?

Regards DrKnow

ASHY  2002-06-01 00:41:17 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Try downloading this version http://www.dll-files.com/files/msvcrt.zip and putting it in your Windowssystem directory for Win 98/ME
or Windowssystem32 for WinNT2000XP

Be sure to make a backup of the old one first.

ASHY

Bug report - Audio Sync problems when cut and merging mpeg2 files No.22392
Fatboy  2002-05-31 17:30:17 ( ID:4jb75sjowk2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I use my WinTV USB PVR to rip video in MPEG2 format on the fly from various sources. The PVR always rips perfectly with no video or audio sync problems on playback. However, when I want to cut or merge these files with TMpegENC, occasionally I get audio sync problems. I always rip from the PVR at the same format (MPEG2 2 Mbps) and cut/merge with TMpegENC to SVCD. It seems to occur only in larger files and only later in the file cut. For example, I rip a one hour show, and it ends up being a gigabyte or so. Then when I go to cut/merge the file, I can do so with no problems until I get say halfway into the file, try to cut/merge a new clip and the audio is out of sync.
Any suggestions or help?? thanks!

Derek

Hataian  2002-06-01 20:18:55 ( ID:pq/ugw.8krm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Is the audio out of sync for the same amount in the movie or
becomes it more and more out of sync in the movie?

Fatboy  2002-06-05 20:48:50 ( ID:4jb75sjowk2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

it is out of sync for the same amount.

Question - How to make one part of 2 .AVI parts? No.22390
Jan smith  2002-05-31 15:54:20 ( ID:wroomugfrbj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Can anyone tell me how to do it with this programme?

ASHY  2002-05-31 18:01:04 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Join the two toghether first with Virtual dub.

ASHY

Bug report - Audio Problems No.22386
cjbarr  2002-05-31 15:50:53 ( ID:fmunfinayfo )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I capture mpegs from VHS using Ulead studio 6. The audio stream is 44100. If I FINISH the project in Studio 6, the resulting DVD audio at 48000 sounds fine. But yo get rid of the noise at the bottom of the frame, I use TMPG with bottom mask. The respulting mpeg file, ready for burning, has an annoying, shrill bloom or sizzle in the audio track. The only way I've been able to eliminate it is to FINISH the project in Studio 6 and then re-encode it all over again in TMPG with the bottom maked out.

My guess is that TMPG is misreading the input stream as 48000.

Randall  2002-05-31 17:18:29 ( ID:ack2d9na0rn )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Had the same problem that seemingly just popped up. The only way I could "clean up" the audio was to set up everything I wanted in TMPeg and then "normalize" the audio.

I'm assuming it's "cleaning" it somehow.

ASHY  2002-05-31 18:09:56 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

This is most likely the usual problem with TMPG's samplerate converter. It isn't too good. To solve your problem use an external samplerate converter with TMPG. One of the best is SCMPX. Just go to enviromental settings and click the external tool tab and choose SCMPX as the external program to use.

ASHY

cjbarr  2002-05-31 18:10:01 ( ID:fmunfinayfo )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I just tried this. Actualy made it worse.

Question - Making selectable subtiles No.22384
Mickey  2002-05-31 14:29:11 ( ID:ovsfuerzj7m )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Does any one know how to do this, Making slecteable subtitels ?
I tried several tools an programs , nothing seesm to work. Please Help ...

Do subtitels influence the bitrate or video qualtity ?

ASHY  2002-05-31 15:00:47 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Apparantly there is only one program that can do this at the moment and that is Enreach I-Author Deluxe.
Do search on google.com for it.

ASHY

Question - Mergin 2 audio streems No.22383
Mickey  2002-05-31 14:26:32 ( ID:ovsfuerzj7m )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi,

If multiplex 2 audio files 128 kps MpegI, in an MpegII svcd video file (even if chosen SVCD mulitplex mode) the orignal quality of the video gets bad and worse ... does anyone know how to solve this problem ?

(The orginal video is 2500 kps.The orgignal plays realy very good)

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.