TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 580 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Classify Title User name Reply Last update
Question too big Goro 2 2002-05-13 14:04:17
Request Support for WAV2MP ? Magic 1 2002-05-13 15:54:53
Question 16:9 format VCD possible? Magic 2 2002-05-13 16:01:47
Question No Video! Jessica 1 2002-05-15 00:37:56
Question Mr. Eyepop 1 2002-05-13 00:24:57
Question Half way through I get the streaming error and it stops Chris 0 2002-05-12 19:09:09
Bug report Nominal bitrate not set properly? gnguyen 13 2002-05-14 12:35:54
Question Mr zak 1 2002-05-13 00:12:48
Question Can this program convert DV-AVI -files? John 2 2002-05-13 18:35:30
Request Can't convert avi using TMPGEnc Dakineman 1 2002-05-13 00:06:59
Question sound and thanx again ed 1 2002-05-13 00:03:25
Question TMPGEnc mpegs rejected by ReelDVD Pete_G 1 2002-05-12 23:59:22

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 580 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Question - too big No.21126
Goro  2002-05-12 21:49:42 ( ID:ogcaiavb45l )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

After converting to MPEG format the file is too large to fit on one CD. How can I have the software make two smaller files instead of one big one?

Minion  2002-05-13 00:30:23 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You should really look through the site for your answers before you post your question because the answer is in this site hundreds of times.go to "file" then "mpeg tools" then "merge & cut", question answered.....

ASHY  2002-05-13 14:04:17 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Dead right bud. Nice 1 Minion.

ASHY

Request - Support for WAV2MP ? No.21124
Magic  2002-05-12 20:58:48 ( ID:bkwik67zfzl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I tried encoding a movie using WAV2MP and then multiplexing the audio into an MPG file created with TMPGEnc.... wow!! I can't believe how much better it is than TooLAME and the internal MP2 encoder!

Are there any plans to support WAV2MP as an external coder for TMPGEnc... and also can we maybe have a box to specify command line options for external coders like TooLAME / WAV2MP etc ? It's surprising just how much difference specifying things like using Joint Stereo can make to a movie, especially when making a Non-Standard VCD and using lower bitrates.

ASHY  2002-05-13 15:54:53 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

There are a few reasons why I wouldn't use this encoder.

1. It's buggy ( no matter which ouput folder you select it always end up in the the same folder as the wav2mp.exe.)

2. In WinXP if the input path is too long the program won't launch, but this could also have something to do with path names too.

3. Way too slow. Takes wav2mp 30 mins for a regular wav of about 1hr 40 mins, only takes TMPG and Toolame about 10-15 mins and MPEGDJ encoder 3 mins.

The only thing I will give it is the quality is slightly better than TMPG, but I wouldn't say better than Toolame.

ASHY

Question - 16:9 format VCD possible? No.21121
Magic  2002-05-12 20:55:11 ( ID:bkwik67zfzl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I don't know if this is possible, but I noticed with DVD that you often get 16:9 (anamorphic) format films. Is ot possible to create these so that the Widescreen TV detects that a film is widescreen and alters the picture format like it does with DVD? Obviously you would get better quality if this were possible as rather than encoding a black area top and bottom you could just cut the black off and all the bitrate will be used on the picture area, plus all 240 (or 288 for PAL) vertical resolution would be in a smaller area.

Also, why is it DVD films are 720 wide not 704? ... or is it the VCD that is unusual with 352 wide not 360?

M.Bastian  2002-05-12 23:41:42 ( ID:lh1udvptj1c )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Unfortunately no DVD standalone player that I know of recognizes the anamorphic flag in (S)VCD mode. If you cant force your TV to 16:9 youre out of luck.

ASHY  2002-05-13 16:01:47 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Have you tried setting your output ratio to 16:9 Display.
Just make sure you trim the top and bottom black bars off on your source movie.

As far as I know this should work fine and should display correctly on your 16:9 TV.

ASHY

Question - No Video! No.21119
Jessica  2002-05-12 20:34:01 ( ID:zk4l.nqeyjl )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Tried converting avi file to mpg to burn vcd. I checked it before trying to burn (thank god or id have another coaster) There is sound but no picture.What happened?? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

fluorine  2002-05-15 00:37:56 ( ID:twaybtruanr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I am having the same problem. The .avi was fine but once after converting to mpeg the video was gone! I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Question - Mr. No.21117
Eyepop  2002-05-12 20:27:29 ( ID:5ht8yffifwj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I was just wondering why all of the options within TMPGEnc are not available to me. In particular in the settings of the video type as I am unable to select a non standard mpeg1 format for XVCD creation.

Minion  2002-05-13 00:24:57 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Why arent all the settings available to you,did you load the "unlock.mfc" template? this unlock all the settings so you can raise the bitrate and all the other settings....

Question - Half way through I get the streaming error and it stops No.21116
Chris  2002-05-12 19:09:09 ( ID:owmq86rypdm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Half way through I get the streaming error and it stops. I am tring to convert a avi file.

Bug report - Nominal bitrate not set properly? No.21102
gnguyen  2002-05-12 18:55:06 ( ID:3xkghnfgfyr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have made some MPEG-1 video only encodes with the latest version of TMPGEnc using CQ_VBR mode. The maximum bitrate was set to 1850 kbit/s. When I checked the final m1v file using Bitrate Viewer, it says the nominal bitrate is 104857200 bit/s, which is obviously wrong. This causes a problem in DVD authoring programs which read this nominal bitrate from the header and then reject the file because it thinks it was encoded out of spec.

It would be really great if TMPGEnc would set this value properly. Thanks for an already WONDERFUL program!

Minion  2002-05-13 00:22:41 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Firstly there is no real bitrate spec for dvd,and if there was 1850kbs wouldn"t be it,If you set the maximum bitrate to 1850 that would be the peak bitrate, the highest it would go, but the average bitrate would be closer to the minimum bitrate set,so if you want 1850 to be the average bitrate you have to set the minimum bitrate to about 1800,unless the max bitrate is much higher ,the program uses the max bitrate setting for frames with a lot of detail and movement,but if you want the bitrate to stay at 1850 use cbr.......

gnguyen  2002-05-13 01:08:27 ( ID:3xkghnfgfyr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What a long sentence!

No, my problem isn't with setting the encoding bitrate. DVD does have a standard bitrate max for MPEG-1 video, it's even included in TMPGEnc as a template.

The problem is with the MPEG headers containing the wrong information about the "nominal" bitrate of the stream.

Minion  2002-05-13 01:27:05 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Doesn"t nominal mean lowest?

gnguyen  2002-05-13 02:19:28 ( ID:3xkghnfgfyr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

>Doesn"t nominal mean lowest?

Minimal is lowest... Nominal means "by name" or something like that.

Minion  2002-05-13 04:40:40 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I just looked it up ,nominal means the least amount that is accepted.or a token amount,slight, moderate,reasonable.....so the nominal bitrate is the lowest bitrate or minimum bitrate.......

gnguyen  2002-05-13 05:12:26 ( ID:3xkghnfgfyr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I can pull a different definition from the dictionary but it still doesn't solve my problem.

Why does Bitrate Viewer say the nominal bitrate in my MPEGs is 104,857.6 Mb/s? Scenarist can't import my MPEGs because it thinks the bitrate is this number rather than the actual bitrate in the file. Simple as that.

Minion  2002-05-13 08:23:15 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If you want the nominal bitrate to be 1850kbs you have to set the minumum bitrate to 1850kbs, it only goes to the maximum bitrate when the frames are complex.. so if you set the max bitrate to 1850 that isn"t the bitrate of the file that is the max bitrate so the average is probably closer to 1000kbs..have you tried any other encoders, wont scenerest encode a compliant file, are you useing a "sonic" product for authoring?I have dvdit pe 2.5 and scenerest and pretty well no files that I make with "tmpgenc" are accepted by dvdit,but the mpegs I make with "cinemacraft" are allways accepted, but I still got a different authoring program that isnt so picky with the files I load in it and much cheaper,I now use "ulead dvd workshop" which has most of the same features plus a couple of extras like svcd and vcd support.....anyway good luck, and if you want to try a different encoder you can e-mail me and I"ll try to hook you up.........see ya

ASHY  2002-05-13 17:05:42 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Right ok I'll sort this out right now.

First of all why are you encoding to MPEG-1 if you are authoring to DVD.
This is the root of your problem. You should be encoding to MPEG-2 and is probably the reason it's being rejected in the first place by your authoring program.

MPEG1 is not designed for DVD and thus doesn't have the required specs to be burned as DVD using a DVD authoring program.
You can still burn to DVD, but only as a regular VCD. You won't be able to burn as a regular DVD.

Secondly this is NOT a bug of TMPG.
The reason why your 'Nominal' (nominal means many things, but for encoding it means the target value with relation to the max bitrate) bitrates aren't flagged correctly is because MPEG1 is originally designed for CBR only and not VBR.

This is the reason the MPEG2 standard was developed, so VBR could be implemented.

You will find that if you encode to an MPEG2 VBR stream the 'Nominal' bitrate flag will be spot on and if you are authoring to DVD these are the streams you should be creating.

If you want to solve your MPEG1 problem then use another program such as NERO to burn your MPEG1 VBR streams to DVD.

ASHY

gnguyen  2002-05-13 23:21:42 ( ID:2l8y9bhyhyg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The DVD spec does allow MPEG-1 VBR video. Look at the DVD FAQ on the DVD Demystified site, check the DVD book by Ralph LaBarge. TMPGEnc even has a DVD low resolution setting that creates a CBR MPEG-1 stream with a bitrate of 1850Kbs.

Ok, so I've isolated the problem to this: encode an MPEG-1 stream at 1850Kbs CBR, and it will set the nominal bitrate to 1850Kbs, and the file sucessfuly imports into the DVD authoring program. CBR works.

Encode the same stream using VBR at 1850Kbs max, and it will set the nominal bitrate to the very large 102,457Kbs or 102Mbs, which the authoring program rejects. This still seems like it's a bug....

So it does seem that CBR will make things work, if that's what you were trying to say in the previous messages, then thanks. But it's not ideal since I would like to be able to more efficiently use the bitrate with VBR, which as far as I know should work according to the information I pointed to above.

ASHY  2002-05-14 04:11:14 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Well all I can say is you either read the wrong books or you don't read the info correctly.

Nowhere in any of the DVD specifications can I find a topic which relates to DVD specs allowing MPEG1 VBR. All the specs refer to MPEG1 CBR only.

It is true as you say the DVD specs will allow MPEG1 but only at a max resolution of 352x288 at CBR only and not VBR.
See this page relating to the specs: http://www.mpeg.org/MPEG/DVD/Book_B/Video.html

As I have already stated, you will not be able to create a VBR MPEG1 compliant DVD using your DVD authoring program. It will be rejected as you have noticed.
But like I said I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to use software such as NERO to burn the MPEG1 VBR as a regular XVCD on to DVD.

ASHY

gnguyen  2002-05-14 06:01:00 ( ID:3xkghnfgfyr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.4

But if they're wrong I'll be supremely disappointed.

I want to include both higher quality MPEG-2 video and lower quality MPEG-1 video one one DVD that is compliant as possible, with menus and interactivity and everything. Some content I want to look good, other content I just want to have as much as possible to fill up the rest of the space.

I have been able to get Cinemacraft Encoder to create a VBR MPEG-1 stream that Scenarist accepts without question. But TMPGEnc produces better looking MPEG-1 video, so I would really really like to use TMPGEnc instead.

The only reasonable difference between the streams that I can find is that CCE sets whatever this "nominal bitrate" to the max bitrate parameter, and TMPGEnc sets the "nominal bitrate" to some outrageously high number. I'm using Teco LTD's Bitrate Viewer to find out what this nominal bitrate is in each stream.

gnguyen  2002-05-14 08:21:29 ( ID:3xkghnfgfyr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Update.

I wrote a Perl script to parse the MPEG headers of each frame and change them so that bitrates of 1048576Kbs were changed to 1850Kbs. This allowed Scenarist to not immediately reject the files. I haven't yet tried burning this to a DVD to test it.

ASHY  2002-05-14 12:35:54 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

There so much conflicting info regarding the specs.
Some say VBR is supported some say not.

To be honest with you I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work as long as you can burn it.
Maybe some of the specs are outdated and the new specs do indeed allow VBR to be implemented into MPEG1 DVD.

I suppose you will find out soon enough.
One other point I'd like to ask. How the hec did you get CCE to create a VBR MPEG1 stream.
As far as I am aware CCE doesn't support MPEG1 (VBR) .

Anyway good luck with your authoring.

ASHY

Question - Mr No.21100
zak  2002-05-12 18:54:30 ( ID:2jy5nw6ruw6 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

hello. I dont know how to register my tmpeg software. Could you help me please. Thank you

Minion  2002-05-13 00:12:48 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You need to buy a registration number, you do this by clicking on the banner on the bottom of this page,.........

Question - Can this program convert DV-AVI -files? No.21097
John  2002-05-12 18:53:17 ( ID:dlni0v7d966 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'm trying to convert my PAL DV-AVI to VCD, but the only thing I get when I try to load the source file (I've tried diffrent types) is a message telling me that the file type is unsupported.
Anyone have any tip? Can you reccomend a program which converts PAL DV-AVI-files or have I missunderstood something about TMPGEnc Plus?

Best Regards
John Nilsson

MikeHS  2002-05-12 22:15:35 ( ID:c3hqxsg/nfj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Do you have the VFAPI plugin installed? If so try this, I had the same problem & it worked for me. Go to options/environmental settings/ VFAPI plugin and untick AV12 and AVI VFW compatibility reader.

Cheers Mike

John  2002-05-13 18:35:30 ( ID:dlni0v7d966 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

>Do you have the VFAPI plugin installed? If so try this, I had the same problem & it worked for me. Go to options/environmental settings/ VFAPI plugin and untick AV12 and AVI VFW compatibility reader.
>
>Cheers Mike

Thanx Mike - it works fine now!

Request - Can't convert avi using TMPGEnc No.21095
Dakineman  2002-05-12 18:39:37 ( ID:2lfstschcsn )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hello there I am a newbie, i am trying to convert a avi movie (don't know if it is a divx or ?) to vcd. when I am in the Select source screen I get this message "File H:/Movie(1of2).avi"can not open, or supported" Any help is very appreciated.

Minion  2002-05-13 00:06:59 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

First make sure you have the proper codecs on your machine ,but if you can play it on your computer then you should have the right codec,so in this case go to "options" then to "enviromental settings" then to "vfapi plugins" and raise your "direct show" filter to "2" and leave everything else at "0" or "1"...
tis should get you file loaded in "tmpgenc"....

Question - sound and thanx again No.21093
ed  2002-05-12 18:26:03 ( ID:w4o5n98l51. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

i just used virtualdub and extracted the mp3 audio to a wave. i also see how to use the two in tmpg, but is it possible to use source with this seperate wave, since the entire movie will be too large for a vcd, it must be split. thanx

Minion  2002-05-13 00:03:25 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Do you mean you want the movie split with the "source range" feature and don"t know if it is possible when useing seperate audio and video streams..the answer to this question is "Yes" you can use the source range to split the movie .....

Question - TMPGEnc mpegs rejected by ReelDVD No.21091
Pete_G  2002-05-12 18:19:59 ( ID:s4s8uzs7uq6 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'm making PAL 720x576 4:3 mpegs with TMPGEnc 2.5 Plus and they are being rejected by Sonics ReelDVD with message: Mpegs files must be 4:3 or 16:9;.
ReelDVD looks for an aspect ratio "flag" in the file, obviously it can't see it, I presume there is a flag put in during encoding. Anyone seen this?
Sonics DVDit takes the files OK. Can't say I like this Sonic stuff much !

Minion  2002-05-12 23:59:22 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have a couple of "sonic" products "dvdit pe 2.5" and "scenerest" and most of the mpegs I make aren"t accepted by dvdit and scenerest doesn"t even work, so I switched to a less expensive program that accepts every mpeg I try to load in it,maybe you should do the same,I now use "ulead dvd workshop" which has most of the features as dvdit and a few extras like vcd & svcd support...but if you are stuck on "mydvd" try the "sonic" forum ,they might have a solution..

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.