TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 112 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Classify Title User name Reply Last update
Question How come movie is so big? aex 1 2003-11-09 12:45:54
Question Merge & Cut Sanjay 1 2003-11-09 11:28:06
Question DVD Newbie- playback is streched vertically David 1 2003-11-08 21:01:58
Question No sound from .wav .mp2 or .mpg Torrent 2 2003-11-08 16:46:30
Question Burning DVD from 2mv and wav RaekOne 3 2003-11-08 11:57:14
Question m2V+wav to vob multiplexing Torrent 5 2003-11-08 16:53:37
Question resize with black border Crille 1 2003-11-06 20:50:55
Question newby femie 1 2003-11-06 20:49:45
Question VCD Template Sakuya 4 2003-11-07 19:48:31
Question Merge & Cut Problem aex 4 2003-11-07 19:56:13
Question 180x120 mpeg frank 1 2003-11-06 05:53:14
Question Conversion Length Chewmacca 1 2003-11-06 05:49:30

TMPGEnc 2.5 (Free or plus version) BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 112 / 680 ]   Next > >>
Question - How come movie is so big? No.39787
aex  2003-11-09 12:45:03 ( ID:rksgtj8wmzg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

ok im having a problem with TMPenc. It happened to me twice already, the problem is that the file is 2gig, and the video is 4hours long. at the end of the movie the rest of it (till the 4 hours) is just a black screen... is there a way i can fix thaT?

aex  2003-11-09 12:45:54 ( ID:rksgtj8wmzg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

and one more thing, it doesnt have sound either.

Question - Merge & Cut No.39785
Sanjay  2003-11-09 05:44:50 ( ID:wi0vimgejmh )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

In Merge & Cut, if I select multiple MPEG files, it changes file order e.g. if I have file MOV001, MOV002, MOV003 and if I select all files, it does not list all files in that order, order is lost. Is there any way around it.

Thx
Sanjay

ashy  2003-11-09 11:28:06 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Strange, but I don't have the same problem. I have just tried it with 5 files with the same names as yours and it works fine.

Maybe you should try naming the files like so, mov_001, mov_002, mov_003 and so on.

Question - DVD Newbie- playback is streched vertically No.39783
David  2003-11-08 18:37:57 ( ID:7synjtgemyf )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'm just getting into DVD burning, I used tmpgenc to convert an avi movie, then used IfoEdit95 to convert the mpeg, then burned it to DVD with Nero 6. The image quality is fine but the picture is streched top to bottom, like the movie should be letter box but was resized to fit the TV screen. How can I fix this?

ashy  2003-11-08 21:01:58 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You probably encoded the MPEG using 4:3 as the input aspect ratio. You must have noticed this in the original MPEG surely?
If this is the case then you can use a simple program called DVDpatcher to patch the headers to 16:9, but remember to set all the other options to the same as the original first and patch the entire file not just the first header.

The next time you are encoding for DVD and you have a 16:9 source make sure you set BOTH the input and output to 16:9.
Don't use 4:3 as the output resolution for DVD if the source is 16:9 as this just wastes the resolution on black borders that could have been used for the actual image and will degrade the quality.

Question - No sound from .wav .mp2 or .mpg No.39780
Torrent  2003-11-08 11:06:18 ( ID:ksbmsrz6oig )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

After running a .avi through TMPGEnc I get two resultant files, a .m2v and a .wav/.mp2. When I try to play these independently no sound comes out. I know there is data in the files because they range between 20MB for the wav and about 6MB for mp2. Can someone help explain why I can't hear anything (playing other mp3, mpg, and avi files does produce sound on my system - also the input files when played have sound too).

Thanks

ashy  2003-11-08 14:13:58 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

There maybe data in the files, but that doesn't necessarily mean there is audio.
You have probably just encoded silence because you don't have the right codec to deal with your inout audio format which could be AC3 or maybe Mp3 VBR.
TMPG usually won't accept either.

Try extracting your audio to wav first then use that as your audio source for TMPG or try this Ac3 codec for TMPG.
http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/AC3ACM/

Torrent  2003-11-08 16:46:30 ( ID:ksbmsrz6oig )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi Ashy,

Thanks muchly - by extracting the wav separately and specifying that as the audio source it all worked great. The original file used in the editing package (which produced the avi) was infact an mp3 and so I guess this was what was causing the problem.

Thanks again.
Torrent

Question - Burning DVD from 2mv and wav No.39776
RaekOne  2003-11-07 22:05:42 ( ID:6xcywbnjwim )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I recently got this software on advice from a friend and it rocks, however i have a big 1.2 GB mpeg file, and used TMPG to convert this mpeg to DVD format, i am now left with 2 files a .wav and .m2v, i went to use Nero to burn these as a DVD Video, however nero wouldnt allow these file formats, i wondered how do i burn these onto a dvd so that it plays in a dvd player.
I know its a n00b question and apologise, im new to this scene.
Additionally i am currently trying a standard burn as a data disc with both these files on a DVD-RW. I have a strong feeling this wont work, but could be wrong
anyone got any ideas?

RaekOne  2003-11-07 22:09:06 ( ID:6xcywbnjwim )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

apolgoies supposed to read m2v not 2mv
was a typoe

Minion  2003-11-08 01:56:09 ( ID:/d4nypdxsbj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You can not Just Burn Mpeg files to DVD and Have them play like a DVD ,It just doesn"t work that way...You need a DVD authoring Program to author the Video and Audio file to DVD, You will Have to Set up Menu"s and add Chapters and add Buttons that will correspond to the Controlls on your Remote controll, and you will need to Link these Buttons to your Movie so you can navigate the DVD...If you Click on the Banner Below you Can download a 30 day Demo of Tmpgenc DVD author which is a Very simple DVD authoring Program which should be easy to learn....
Also when you encoded your File to DVD you should have chosen Mpeg1-Layer 2 as the audio format Because Wav audio takes Up a LOT of DVD Disk Space that would be better used for Increaseing the Video Bitrate which in Turn will increase the Video Quality..I actually encode the wav audio to AC3 which is the best format for DVD .....Cheers

ashy  2003-11-08 11:57:14 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What format is this MPEG file is it MPEG1 or MPEG2 and what is it's resolution?

I ask because it may not even be necessary to re-encode at all.
MPEG1 VCD is a compatible format for DVD as it is and doesn't need re-encoding which will not only preserve the original quality, but will allow more space on the DVD to be saved for more movies.

It isn't strictly required to create menus and chapters for DVD at all, you just have the movie play direct from the DVD.

Here is a very easy guide to show how it's done. This guide uses TMPG DVD author which is free to use for 30 days, but if you don't intend to include any menus then you can use IFOedit which is a very useful free program that has a DVD authoring option that will create the necessary files for you instead of using TMPG DVD author.
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/userguides/176385.php

Question - m2V+wav to vob multiplexing No.39770
Torrent  2003-11-07 15:06:17 ( ID:ksbmsrz6oig )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Can TMPGEnc multiplex m2v+wav files to vob? If so, how?

Big thanks to anyone who can help with this one.

Torrent  2003-11-07 16:03:21 ( ID:ksbmsrz6oig )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Actually, as an aside. Why is it I can't get TMPGEnc to multiplex a m2v and wav to an mpg? It complains that the wav is an invalid format, and yet it created the wav file itself. I specify the input files like:

mux://c:<path>file.m2v (video input)
mux://c:<path>file.wav (audio input)

Thanks again.

Video Guy  2003-11-07 17:25:08 ( ID:4yfrh0hqv72 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You can't mux a m2v and a wav. You are getting confused with DVD's which use LPCM (wav). If you want wav audio them you have to use a DVD authoring program. The authoring program will put the m2v and wav into a VOB wrapper.

If you don't want to make a DVD then convert the wav to mepeg audio (mpa) or AC3.

Video Guy

Torrent  2003-11-08 10:10:17 ( ID:ksbmsrz6oig )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi Video_Guy,

You are right about one thing....I am bloody confused over it all. The .wav file is the one demultiplexed (using TMPGEnc) from the AVI file I used as the input file. This is a LPCM CBR file (I have tried the VBR and MPEG I Layer II as well). I have an authoring program I would have liked to use but it doesn't accept m2v, but it does accept .vob, hence I wanted to be able to produce one of those. As it happens I have decided to use DVD-Lab now instead which does accept .m2v files.

Anyhoo, I have a completely different problem now but I am raising this in a new thread.

Thanks for your response - it was much appreciated.

Regards,
Torrent

ashy  2003-11-08 12:02:33 ( ID:4adzcnohuc. )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What do you mean you have an authoring program that doesn't accept m2v and only VOBs, which program?

If that's the case then it can't be an authoring program and sounds more like a burning program.

It would be pointless having a DVD authoring program that doesn't accept m2v and only VOBS, because that would be pointless.
It is the authoring program that creates the VOBS from the m2v!

Torrent  2003-11-08 16:53:37 ( ID:ksbmsrz6oig )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

You are absolutely correct in that it does appear to be a huge oversight. The program in question is Roxio's Easy CD and DVD Creator 6. Although it is mainly a CD/DVD burner package it does have authoring functions (produce menus, chapters, etc) in its DVD Builder application.

Frankly the whole thing is a bit of a mess. The only reason I am using TMPGEnc at all is because Pinnacle Liquid Edition's codecs are complete toss (I use LE for video editing). I get really poor compatibility with set-top DVD players if I author from within LE. Therefore I now "fuse" the sequence, which produces the AVI (and now the wav too) and use TMPGEnc to encode it. I will then import the resulting m2v and wav into DVD-Lab.

*phew* all this just to make a DVD-R that will run in most DVD players :)

Thanks

Question - resize with black border No.39768
Crille  2003-11-06 17:04:12 ( ID:5iq10kudfxm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I wonder if its possible to change a mpg (ntsc) 320x240 to 352x240 not re-encode only add black border up to 352 pixels.

Whats the best way to do it?

Regards crille

Minion  2003-11-06 20:50:55 ( ID:/d4nypdxsbj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

NO....You will have to Re-encode, there is No way arround it....

Question - newby No.39766
femie  2003-11-06 13:07:33 ( ID:nuqr/042clj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I am a newby using Video Studio 6 and DVD Movie Factory to capture movie from my Digi camcorder. So ofter I got lots of dropped frames and sometimes captured up to 7.15min it stopped (always 7.15min). Is there any wrong settings?
Is there any other software for capture movie and any for encoding and burning DVD with higher compression without losing quality. Tmpgenc is good but compression is not good enough.

Minion  2003-11-06 20:49:45 ( ID:/d4nypdxsbj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Dropped Frames are usually due to haveing a Slow Hard drive or not captureing to a Seperate hard drive that your OS is Installed on..You should allways capture to a Dedicated drive to help avoid Frame Dropps, a Fast PC helps also...The Reason why your Captures are Stopping after 7 minutes is Probably because you are Captureing to a Fat 16 or Fat 32 Partition....A Fat 16 Partition Only supports File sizes of 2gb and a Fat 32 only supports 4gb File sizes...If you are Useing XP or WinNT or 2000 you should be able to Partition your Hard drive to NTFS which supports up to 137gb File sizes and with 48 Bit addressing the File sizes are Virtually Unlimited...As For Mpeg encodeing you aren"t going to Find any that will give much better Compression than Tmpgenc cuz it IS one of the Better encoders out there...I think if you are Captureing from a DV camera Through a Firewire Port you should really get your Self a DV Capture/Editing Program Like Premier or Vegas Video so you can edit together your 7 Minute files and will Probably drop less frames and haveing an extra Fast Hard drive Just for Video capture is also a Good idea, I just Picked up a Maxtor 160GB Drive New for $80 US....good Luck

Question - VCD Template No.39761
Sakuya  2003-11-06 00:07:31 ( ID:6y4cusar5hr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hello. I noticed a VCD template in TMPGEnc. I was wondering if it was good quality? I never use it because I set up my own custom template for high quality XVCDs and it works well. But I'm just wondering. How well does it work? Is it on par with officially released VCDs?

Sakuya  2003-11-06 00:36:22 ( ID:6y4cusar5hr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I also noticed for the audio that the DVD template uses 384 kbits/sec while VCD uses 224 kbits/sec. What does that mean? Why are they different? Does it convey the volume or what?

HAHA  2003-11-07 09:14:21 ( ID:uexq2jhhhql )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

At first, you need to learn a little about what is information volume meaning, and there is VCD and DVD standard in the world.

Video Guy  2003-11-07 17:20:58 ( ID:4yfrh0hqv72 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The bitrate of the audio has nothing to do with the volume of the audio. The higher the bitrate, the higher the quality of the sound. The standard for VCD is 224. A good bitrate range for DVD is 256 - 384. The DVD bitrate is higher because a DVD has a much higher capacity then a CD and thus can have higher quality audio.

If you want to adjust the audio volume then use the Normalize feature in TMPGEnc.

For your first question, TMPGEnc is one of the best VCD encoders. The template follows the standard but if your player supports it you could increase the bit rate a bit to get better quality.

Video Guy

ashy  2003-11-07 19:48:31 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Regarding DVD bitrates.
I agree with Video Guy in that 256 - 384 is a good bitrate range for DVD, but it also depends on the format of the audio.

If it's AC3 5.1 then 384 would be best (some DVD's even use 448), but if it's only 2 channel AC3 or MPEG audio then 192 is usually plenty and the standard 224 for VCD is more than enough for MPEG audio.
Some people (novices usually) actually use wav(PCM) in their DVD for audio which is a complete waste of valuable space on the disk which could be used for the Video because the audio would be almost as good if it was compressed to 2 channel AC3 or MPEG audio.

Question - Merge & Cut Problem No.39756
aex  2003-11-05 22:34:51 ( ID:rksgtj8wmzg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi,
I'm having a problem with the merge and cut in TMPGenc. It completes Video Streaming fine, but when it finishes the audio stream the excalmation mark is still beside the "Performing Audio Stream" it just freezes there and never becomes a checkmark. I went to my task manager and it said it wasnt responding.. Someone Help Me Please?

aex

Sakuya  2003-11-06 01:12:40 ( ID:6y4cusar5hr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Have you tried waiting longer? Usually with large clips, it takes longer and it stops there for me too. But I just leave it alone and do something else. When I come back it's done!

Minion  2003-11-06 20:52:44 ( ID:/d4nypdxsbj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have Had this Problem Lots of Times...and there is No special Setting that will Fix it..You just have to find something else to do it....

Video Guy  2003-11-07 17:30:56 ( ID:4yfrh0hqv72 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

TMPGEnc sometimes chokes on MPEG files created by other programs. It works best on files that it created.

Perhaps your audio is AC3. The merge and cut feature seems only to work with mpa files. I could never merge and cut with AC3 audio.

ashy  2003-11-07 19:56:13 ( ID:n3gjkhi6dvc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

TMPG won't merge or split any MPEGs with Ac3 audio, it will just remove the stream completely form the output, so that's unlikely the problem.

I agree with Sakuya, with problems like these all that is usually required is a litle patience. Sometimes TMPG seems like it is hanging whereas in fact it is still performing the operation even if if it says in task manager it says the program is not responding (Task manager actually says this about most programs during a task which use a lot of CPU time which are in fact working OK)

Just go and have a coffee and let it do it's thing then check it. Remeber a watched pot never boils.

Question - 180x120 mpeg No.39754
frank  Home )  2003-11-05 21:40:46 ( ID:tctcmlxtmdn )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I would like to produce small mpeg-1 clips for dial up users. 3 min in 180x120 or 120x90 image size. Is this possible using commercial version of tmpgenc. it does not appear possible in free version.

Minion  2003-11-06 05:53:14 ( ID:/d4nypdxsbj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Yes it is Possible in ALL Tmpgenc Versions...You just set the Resolution to 180+120 ,simple?? If the Resolution is Greyed out you have to then Load the "Unlock.mfc" Template from the "Extra Folder then all of the Settings will Be unlocked...And remember to set the "System" setting to "Mpeg-1" And NOT "Mpeg-1 Video-CD" cuz if you don"t do that all of your Files will be Huge...Cheers

Question - Conversion Length No.39752
Chewmacca  2003-11-05 12:50:10 ( ID:dqge3i2lohw )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I've just downloaded and installed TMPGEnc and tried converting an .avi file to mpeg. One worked fine, however one gave a greatly increased running time when I went through the wizard. After converting there was only 25 minutes of video and the rest was black screen.

If anyone could help that would be great.

Paul

Minion  2003-11-06 05:49:30 ( ID:/d4nypdxsbj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Usually if you go to "Options" to "Enviromental Settings" to "Vfapi Plugins" and Raise the "Direct Show" to "2" this will solve this Problem...But it isn"t really that big of a Deal because you can allways Cut the Extra Black Video off the end of the Mpeg file useing the "Merge & Cut".....Cheers

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.