TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ]
Classify Title User name Reply Last update
Question VBR Constant quality confusion George 3 2020-04-21 15:33:56
Question x264 CRF? Y0tsuya 5 2012-04-13 10:25:22

Question - VBR Constant quality confusion No.68306
George  2014-02-09 06:16:21 ( ID:2xj.eplz7yk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I am trying to understand how to output using the popular CRF method. MW does not use this. It seems "VBR constant quality" is the same thing, as suggested by an older thread: http://bbs.pegasys-inc.com/bbs/list/lang/en/board/TVMW5/keyword/crf/topic/64203#topic64203

However: the 0-100 quality setting seems to have absolutely no effect on the output's file size. Tried higher and lower settings. Then, there is the strange "maximum bitrate" setting, which doesn't make sense for CRF use, which is supposed to define on its own the needed bitrate, solely based on the quality setting.

I'm not sure what's going on, and wish Pegasys used the well-documented 0-51 CRF output numbers.

George  2014-03-06 09:05:28 ( ID:2xj.eplz7yk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Some more extensive testing reveals that the quality settings does indeed affect output size. Things a bit more clear now.

glenpinn  2014-03-12 18:20:14 ( ID:emkgnpycif2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

hi, yes i agree with you, CRF or RF as i know it can be beneficial, however how do you know which RF quality factor to set for any given input file.

the free handbrake and Xmedia Recode programs are wonderful conversion tools, and both use an RF quality factor mode for setting your output quality, or you can use the Bitrate method, but oddly both those programs use a totally different method to calculate the RF bitrate, so if you encode the same file using the exact same settings, including the same RF quality factor, one will output the file at a much higher bitrate than the other, so this is where you must be very careful using the RF method, you need to know and understand how your given software sets this formula.

i just started using TMPGEnc but only for converting 1080/50p m2ts files from my camera to dvd compliant mpeg2 format so i use a constant bitrate setting of 8.0Mbps.

my regular preferred software is Video ReDo and that has built in quality presets that does the work for you based on pre-determined output quality settings, and thats the way it should be done, not have to guess what bitrate your output file is going to have.

cheers

GaryLeeoz  2020-04-21 15:33:56 ( ID:hczhhoiwjxh )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The 0-100 quality setting is a feature that was first introduced in previous (ie. no longer available) TMPGENC products. The value has nothing to do with CRF values. In fact, I only found out about 0-100 from forum posts dated about 2004 when people were still making SVCDs. From what I could make out, 100 is the best, 0 is the worst and 50 is the default. In those days people would try values above 75 but they might end up with bigger than expected files. You just have to try a value and see if you can live with the file size. In the end I just gave up and went back to setting 2-Pass VBR with a bitrate setting ... or I use another tool that accepts CRF

Question - x264 CRF? No.64203
Y0tsuya  2011-02-05 12:43:27 ( ID:idf/b5o2elk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Since the new AVC encoder is supposedly based on x264, anyone know how the CQ control relates to x264 ones? When using x264 I prefer to set CRF between 18 to 22. How do I do something like this here? Also can't seem to find any settings for the quantizer. Seems to offer less control than v4. I'm kind of underwhelmed so far.

xmagic  2011-04-05 15:22:57 ( ID:5myapvjve5o )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi,

The x264 in TMV5 actually uses the crf factor when set in Constant Quality (CQ) mode. The relation from the 0-100% quality scale to CRF is :
CRF = 1 + (100 - Q)/2
So in your case, if you want CRF between 18 and 22 you would use Qualities between 66 (CRF=18) to 58 (CRF=22).
You can always check the actual CRF value used by the x264 encoder with the MediaInfo utility.
For the advanced x264 parameters, hit the "MPEG Output" button.

Hope it helps,

X.

Y0tsuya  2011-06-18 05:37:00 ( ID:idf/b5o2elk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

This clears things up. Thanks for the help.

africanmarty  2011-06-29 16:29:28 ( ID:nhpjw.3ta/j )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

i tried but couldn't work it out ( not the best with maths ) could you please tell me the numbers for the following CRF values for x264 in tmpgenc mastering works :

CRF - 18
CRF - 19.5
CRF - 20

thank you.

Regards Marty.

africanmarty   2012-03-28 19:30:37 ( ID:xxokpttgh.m )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I figured it out :

Crf 18 = 66
Crf 19.5 = 63
Crf 20 = 62

Those are correct values.

PS: your math equation was wrong... That's why it wouldn't work for me... But I found the right equation online and worked these values out.

davesocal  2012-04-13 10:25:22 ( ID:pk8ltt7jtmj )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The formula posted above is fine, I'm guessing the way it was interpreted may have resulted in some errors.

The other way to calculate between CRF and Q is using the formula (same as above but by calculating Q from knowing the desired CRF):

Q = 100 - 2(CRF-1)

Hope this helps.

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.