Pegasys Products BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

Pegasys Products BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 747 / 983 ]   Next > >>
Classify Product Title User name Reply Last update
Question TE25 TMPGEnc Plus version question jdacunha 4 2002-08-18 16:29:32
Question TE25 Video "cannot open or unsupported" WalterPK 2 2002-08-18 23:14:17
Question TE25 Audio "cannot open or unsupported" SFDave 4 2002-08-21 01:41:45
Question TE25 lots of glitches in encoded mpeg bombastic 1 2002-08-18 08:09:04
Question TE25 Avi to VCD Pinder 4 2002-08-17 21:11:08
Question TE25 If i push the stop button can i resume CharlieCharlie3 1 2002-08-17 07:12:26
Question TE25 Audio "cannot open or unsupported" SFDave 1 2002-08-17 07:08:14
Question TE25 Can TMPGenc create smaller file sizes Steve 5 2002-08-19 18:21:24
Request TE25 Scan line out of range DJ_BIG_M 0 2002-08-16 19:20:44
Question TE25 Degrades over time reward72 2 2002-08-18 20:26:17
Question TE25 Recompressing MPEG1 john 2 2002-08-16 20:01:29
Question TE25 quality difference homer simpson 1 2002-08-16 20:08:59

Pegasys Products BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ] << < Prev.   [ 747 / 983 ]   Next > >>
Question - TE25 - TMPGEnc Plus version question No.26686
jdacunha  2002-08-17 14:54:07 ( ID:z8/b3bwft7r )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'm still using version 2.53 Is there any real reason to go to newest version?

POP  2002-08-17 16:41:58 ( ID:d4a5wuxiwpr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If you are happy about what you have, there is no reason to go for newer
version, but why don't you try newest version, since you can try more than
2 version on the same computer by extracting those different location.
Just make sure you configure VFAPI plug-in location for both version
properly.

TMPGEnc usually becomes strict about accepting files as it is developed,
In another words, there seems to be theory/policy on TMPGEnc's development.

Older version may accepts more different files which may have corrupt
frame(s), or which may be wrong/illegal file format, in return, the
quality/result may be worse than newer version.
One more point is that nobody develops/fixes older version any more,
so this may be disadvantage in some case.

Newer version may accept less different type of file(s) which are only:
1. decoded properly through right/correct/accurate/specific decoder
2. within certain standard(s) such as MPEG, AVI etc.
In return, the quality/result would be better than older version.

This is how I felt, and using older version is OK I think, if you like it.

Minion  2002-08-17 21:28:41 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The newest version has better support for accepting Mpeg2 files, and the encodeing speed might be slightly better but other than that there isn"t any real differance accept there is a "cut editing" feature in the source range that I don"t think was in the 2.53 version.......

jdacunha  2002-08-18 01:55:08 ( ID:mxx4cvozknr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks guys for the info. Sometimes upgrading means new troubles so I'll stick with 2.53 for now. Anyone tried Studio 8 yet? Just go it and will post some comments next week.

Thobo  2002-08-18 16:29:32 ( ID:edy2s85aaw2 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

@minion: I have found that I get the best results in CCE when I use Tmpgenc to Frame serve to CCE through VFAPI!!!!!!

how does this work???

Question - TE25 - Video "cannot open or unsupported" No.26683
WalterPK  2002-08-17 14:52:39 ( ID:82zqdopxre6 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Plz help a newbie. I've downloaded an avi file that i want to make into a vcd, but as soon as i try to put it in the video source box, it throws up the message "cannot open or unsupported". (stream type set as system, (video + audio))

any pointers gratefully received as i can only find reference to similar probs with audio, and i havent even got that far yet!

thanks,

WalterPK

Minion  2002-08-17 21:13:49 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

This IS the most Common Question asked hereso it has been answered Hundreds of times , you need to raise the priority of the "Direct show File Reader" in the "Vfapi Plugins" you do thid by going to "options" to "enviromental settings" to "vfapi Plugins" then raise the "direct Show" to "2"......

Robert S.  2002-08-18 23:14:17 ( ID:knywcrnsfsf )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I am getting the same error "cannot open or unsupported", with "direct Show" set to "2". I have tried 6 or 7 avi files with the same results. I have one avi file that gives me a different error, its "Can't load P3Package.dll" Is this two different issues or are they somehow related?

Question - TE25 - Audio "cannot open or unsupported" No.26678
SFDave  2002-08-17 07:29:15 ( ID:rciq4rr.c/n )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

With versions before 2.54 and before, I was able to open MPEG-2 files and convert them to VCDs (mpeg-1). But with version 2.57, it gives an error that the audio file "can not open or unsupported". Is there a way to restore the old functionality?

bombastic  2002-08-17 07:34:08 ( ID:nsaxjv/ogca )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

i have the same problem. i use a program called ac3dec to extract the audio stream and then just use that as an audio source. you could try flaskmpeg.

bombastic  2002-08-17 07:38:03 ( ID:nsaxjv/ogca )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

i have the same problem. i use a program called ac3dec to extract the audio stream and then just use that as an audio source. you could try flaskmpeg.

Minion  2002-08-17 07:43:56 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Why do you want to encode the audio from a mpeg file?? the audio is allready in the correct format for mpeg , you just de-mux your mpeg file and just encode the video then after encodeing you just mux the audio with the video that was newly encoded...Tmpgenc has never fully supported compressed audio formats, it will encode then sometimes but the chances of and error occuring with the audio is greater..Tmpgenc only Fully supports Wav files...about 30% of the questions that get asked on this BBS are about poeple who encode files and no audio being in the mpeg file because the audio is some form of compressed format......

Anonymous  2002-08-21 01:41:45 ( ID:8bou0.7/i0r )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Quoting M. Bastian:
"More than 75 mins SVCD or 90 mins VCD 16:9 PAL video WONT look good on an 80 mins CD.
4:3 movies need higher bitrate than 16:9 movies.
Forget the kvcd templates."

That's a joke, isn't it?
How about 65-68 minutes on ONE 80 minute CD with this quality?
http://ns1.shidima.com/kwag/KVCD_704x480_PLUS.mpg

Yes, me! ;)

Question - TE25 - lots of glitches in encoded mpeg No.26676
bombastic  2002-08-17 07:12:18 ( ID:nsaxjv/ogca )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

i encode from perfectly good DV or MPEG2 files to MPEG1 and i always get random glitches, like part of the video might flash green, or jerk for a second (shouldnt happen, i am running 1200mhz pc). any of you guys had a similar problem? the video looks fine before i encode it and then it develops all these artifacts that shouldnt be there...

Steve  2002-08-18 08:09:04 ( ID:lkg81ytreon )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Yes- it's happened to me too. Are you playing back in Windows Media Player? Try using WinDVD instead. Also, try to decrease your audio bitrate to 128. That worked for me. I'm surprised more people don't report this problem.

Question - TE25 - Avi to VCD No.26671
Pinder  2002-08-17 07:08:38 ( ID:cgx3nbhwwxm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I have converted an avi file to mpeg using this then used Nere Express to burn as vcd. When playing in my dvd player -which plays vcd's-I cannot see thew picture but hear only the sound?? Any suggestions???

bombastic  2002-08-17 07:17:57 ( ID:nsaxjv/ogca )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

hmm i had that problem before...
did you use the VCD template in tmpg to encode it? make sure you select the right one... NTSC/PAL etc.
because dvd players are picky when it comes to resolution, bitrate and that i think

Minion  2002-08-17 07:18:01 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The first sugestion is to Watch your movie when you are done encodeing so you know there is a Picture and you don"t waste CD-R"s..There is not going to be a picture if you do not see the movie in the Tmpgenc screen while encodeing, and if there is no picture while encodeing then you need to raise the priority of the "Direct Show File Reader" you do this by going to "options" to "enviromental settings" to "vfapi plugins" then raise the "direct show" to "2"....

Pinder  2002-08-17 12:03:31 ( ID:cgx3nbhwwxm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

>The first sugestion is to Watch your movie when you are done encodeing so you know there is a Picture and you don"t waste CD-R"s..There is not going to be a picture if you do not see the movie in the Tmpgenc screen while encodeing, and if there is no picture while encodeing then you need to raise the priority of the "Direct Show File Reader" you do this by going to "options" to "enviromental settings" to "vfapi plugins" then raise the "direct show" to "2"....

Hi there and thanks for this. Whilst encoding I did NOT see any picture. How and where do I rectify this. When I click on File > Preview I do not see a picture. Is it because their is a problem.The 2 files are AVI's and I have no problem viewing normally.

Minion  2002-08-17 21:11:08 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

The answer is in the Post!!you need to raise the "direct show file reader"....

Question - TE25 - If i push the stop button can i resume No.26669
CharlieCharlie3  2002-08-17 01:42:31 ( ID:gpn3oxrlmlo )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

if i push the stop button can i rusume the encoding

Minion  2002-08-17 07:12:26 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

No.............
but you Can start encodeing another file from were you stoped encodeing then join then together with the "merge & cut" useing the "source range".....

Question - TE25 - Audio "cannot open or unsupported" No.26667
SFDave  2002-08-17 01:21:14 ( ID:rciq4rr.c/n )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

With versions before 2.54 and before, I was able to open MPEG-2 files and convert them to VCDs (mpeg-1). But with version 2.57, it gives an error that the audio file "can not open or unsupported". Is there a way to restore the old functionality?

Minion  2002-08-17 07:08:14 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Why do you want to encode the audio from a mpeg file?? the audio is allready in the correct format so just de-multiplex your mpeg then just encode the video then after just multiplex the audio to the newly encoded mpeg video file, this way the encodeing will be quicker and you will not loose the audio quality that comes with re-encodeing..The older version might have accepted your mpeg audio files but Tmpgenc has never Fully supported compressed audio files, the only audio format the Tmpgenc totally without question supports are Wav files, it is difficult for Tmpgenc to encode compressed audio formats it can do it but the chance of errors in the audio is much greater than with wav files......

Question - TE25 - Can TMPGenc create smaller file sizes No.26661
Steve  2002-08-16 21:37:35 ( ID:mbbc6ga5mv6 )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Is there a way to get TMPGenc to create an MPEG1 file that uses less than 10 MB/minute? No matter how much I reduce the video and audio bitrates and frame sizes, the resulting file is still the same size (although the video qulaity is obviously affected). All I want to do is cram 2 hours of low quality video onto a CD--- I don't need it to play on a stand alone DVD player.

Or... what's the best way to convert a VOB file directly to non-VCD compliant MPEG1 or a Windows Media file? I know I can convert it to DivX, but I want it to play on any PC without needing the DivX codec.

Thanks!

zouleous  2002-08-17 00:20:56 ( ID:u/5c5v/mmtc )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Well I just started getting in to this, but the way I'm doin it seems to work well. If you want to convert from VOB you have to extract the audio and make an instruction file for tmpgenc basically. I use DVD1AVI which you can get here http://arbor.ee.ntu.edu.tw/~jackei/dvd2avi/ . Which will make a .dv2 file (instruction file) and an audio rip. Tmpgenc needs both of these and then you can create an mpeg1 or mpeg2 audio/video file. Using the wizard just select vcd for mpeg1 or svcd would create mpeg2 file. If you select NTSC film it should allow you to change the bitrate and overall file size on the last setup screen. Just skip the bitrate part and go right to the bottom where it says % of disc to use...set it to 100%. That will automatically adjust the bitrate to what it needs to be. Remember, this only creates the video file...it can not be read on a dvd player without the correct directory structure/files. Which is what you wanted.

Z

Minion  2002-08-17 06:57:12 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What you need to do is under the "system" settings you have to change it to "video-cd non-standard" then Tmpgenc will allow you to make a "non-standard" vcd. without this Tmpgenc will add padding to the file so it won"t go below the Standard vcd bitrate......

Minion  2002-08-17 07:00:54 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

PS: the quality of a standard VCD is bad enough so if you lower the bitrare it it will be TERRORABLE, I use more than Double the VCD bitrate and sometimes that isn"t good enough,trying to get more than 1 hour on a cd-r usually results in a Very blocky mpeg file, but I"m a quality freak........

M.Bastian  2002-08-17 07:55:58 ( ID:lh1udvptj1c )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Dont encode in CBR but CQ or 2Pass VBR.
With CQ you cant determine the final filesize without experimenting but its faster and slightly better in quality compared to 2Pass VBR.

I dont encode mpeg1 VCDs anymore since I can get much better quality SVCDs with an video bitrate of aprox 1800 KBit/s aberage. Add 2 160Kbit audio streams that are aprox 60-65 mins film per 80 mins CD.

Global Settings immantent for good compression without degrading the quality to much:
Gop Structure 1-3-3-1-15
Quantize Matrix "higher" than the default TMPGEnc Matrix.(I posted an link to a collection of good Matrixes for different purposes here some time ago ... search for it)
Use FitCD/Avisynth.
If you use CQ or 2Pass: DONT go under 700 Kbit Minimum Bitrate. You player will thank you and your image wont blurr/wobble so much in still scenes. Also enable padding not lower than minimum.
Play whit the CQ Value(Good starting point is 60) until you are satisfied with the quality and you stream fits on the desired number of CDs.
More than 75 mins SVCD or 90 mins VCD 16:9 PAL video WONT look good on an 80 mins CD.
4:3 movies need higher bitrate than 16:9 movies.
Forget the KVCD templates.

Sorry for being brief but Im short of time.

happy Weekend

M. Bastian

Steve  2002-08-19 18:21:24 ( ID:vd8ia0rfmbf )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks. I used the "non-standard" method at 600 kb/sec and reduced audio to minimum levels. I got over 2 hrs of MPEG1 onto one CD, and the quality was good enough for my purposes.

Request - TE25 - Scan line out of range No.26660
DJ_BIG_M  2002-08-16 19:20:44 ( ID:zdvekkj5ftm )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'm trying to make an .MPEG from an .AVI and a .wav but i'm getting this message "Index of scan line is out of range (272)" Can anyone tell me what i can do to solve this problem. Thanks

Question - TE25 - Degrades over time No.26657
reward72  2002-08-16 17:34:55 ( ID:q5hhnst5zja )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I'Ve converted a few DV-AVI files produced with MGI VideoWave 5 to SuperVCD using TMPGEnc (with default settings). It looked fine on the preview window but not through Media Player. The few first minutes of video are pretty good but then it get worst and worst over time up to a point (after 1/3 of the video) where I see only garbage (big red and white squares).

I've also tried Nero's SuperVCD plug-in and it works pretty fine but I'd like to see if TMPGEnc could provide better quality. How can I make it work?

Minion  2002-08-17 06:51:58 ( ID:w8yn5mktf8w )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

It could be that you are watching your movies with Media player it sucks for mpeg2 viewing try useing dvd playing software like Power dvd, I haven"t heard of a mpeg that starts out good and then gets worse as it goes, can"t help you there.

reward72  2002-08-18 20:26:17 ( ID:sso2ntvrljr )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I upgraded my VideoWave 5 with the latest patch and it fixed the problem. It seems that VideoWave didnt produce standard DV-AVI files before the patch... BTW TMPGEnc rocks! The quality is far superior from what the Nero plug-in can do. The highest quality mode is worth the loooong wait!

Question - TE25 - Recompressing MPEG1 No.26654
john  2002-08-16 16:47:23 ( ID:w29btrivx/m )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

What happens to an MPEG1 file with a high bit rate, a bigger frame size and re-compressed it to MPEG1-VCD standard bit rate?

Olli  2002-08-16 20:00:49 ( ID:dazey0v8lbg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

VCD standard bitrate (1150 I think) will generate an mpeg file that has noticeably more macro blocks than the source file.

One option is to create an XVCD (non standard VCD) where you have a bitrate somewhere between the source file and VCD standard. This would improve the quality. You didnt say whether you would be using standard VCD resolution. If you increase the resolution (and bitrate) you will have a non standard VCD but it should look better than standard VCD assuming your DVD player will play it.

Olli  2002-08-16 20:01:29 ( ID:dazey0v8lbg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

VCD standard bitrate (1150 I think) will generate an mpeg file that has noticeably more macro blocks than the source file but with a smaller filesize.

One option is to create an XVCD (non standard VCD) where you have a bitrate somewhere between the source file and VCD standard. This would improve the quality. You didnt say whether you would be using standard VCD resolution. If you increase the resolution (and bitrate) you will have a non standard VCD but it should look better than standard VCD assuming your DVD player will play it.

Question - TE25 - quality difference No.26652
homer simpson  2002-08-16 15:20:19 ( ID:wgcxb6yag/c )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

When you have a video on regular original size it looks awesome. Then when you maximize the window or burn it to vcd and play it on a dvd player the picture gets stretched out and has worse quality. Is there a way of preventing this?

Olli  2002-08-16 20:08:59 ( ID:dazey0v8lbg )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

It all depends on the resolution and bitrate of the original.
Resizing to a resolution bigger than the source resolution will always result in a blockier image - there is no way round this.

If your source file is relatively low res you may want to stick with standard VCD resolution for encoding - just choose a standard VCD template. You could of course increase the bitrate as well to ensure that you are not losing quality , but then you would be creating an XVCD ; not that that is a bad thing, you just have to make sure your DVD player will play XVCD. Go to www.vcdhelp.com and search for your player in the player list.

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.