Pegasys Products BBS

Jump to forum:

This forum is for users to exchange information and discuss with other users about a TMPGEnc product.
In case you need official support, please contact TMPG Inc.

Pegasys Products BBS [ Sorted by thread creation date ]
Classify Product Title User name Reply Last update
Question TE25 Quality question kolbasz 3 2002-07-30 15:51:49

Question - TE25 - Quality question No.25719
kolbasz  2002-07-29 12:01:48 ( ID:5tbwzaufvrk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Hi !

I tried to find answer here to my question with no success, so please
forgive me if someone asked this before:

There is any difference between CQ, VBR, 2pVBR in the case of
SVCD if I use the CBR method buth with the maximum possible bitrate
(2520) ?

Theoretically there is no difference, because if i select for example CQ
and 100% quality, i think the encoder will use the maximum available
bitrate which is 2520 and this is equal with CBR 2520. Or I am wrong ???

Please help me to better understand this process.

Thanx a lot.

Griff  2002-07-29 13:41:44 ( ID:hrx7erbzyah )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

In terms of mpeg2 quality there's a big difference between the CQ setting and a two-pass.

I first tried this encoder with footage from a digital video (DV) camera; I naturaly chose two-pass, since I assumed this would give me the best results. I spent a while going through the settings, to optimise the picture quality, and hit "start". When I played back the encoded vid I was dissapointed to say the least: there were quite visible macroblocks, and the picture looked generally washed out. I was going to give up on TMP, but then spotted the CQ setting. "Constant Quality", I thought "this should be interesting". Anyway I set the encoder off again having chosen a CQ of 80% and max bitrate (for DVD) of 8MB/s. This time, when I played the encoded vid I was very happy indeed. The resultant mpeg was very close in quality to the origional, a little smoother perhaps - but smooting is part and parcel of mpeg encoding - and the colours seemed a little more vivid - not over saturated - just a little it more vivid.

I now use TMP to transcode mpeg2's produced from a digital tv card to DVD compliant mpeg2. I use CQ=100% and max bitrate 8MB/s, and motion search set to highest.

The results on my DVD player are some of the best TV images I've ever seen.

Setting a max bitrate in CQ of 2520 is not the same as having a constant bitrate of 2520. With a CQ of 2520, the encoder will only use this bitrate if it necessary, eg during motion within a scene, or water or smoke effects. Having a constant bitrate of 2520 would be much less efficient, since you would be using this bitrate all the time which would require a lot more disk space (more CD's), but still end up with the same overall quality as the CQ encode.

Griff

kolbasz  2002-07-29 14:31:16 ( ID:5tbwzaufvrk )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

Thanks for the explanation.

So, if we did not talk about the size issue, then
the (CQ 100% 2520) and (CBR 2520) will produce the same
quality output .?

The reason why I am not checking the size is I would like to
make a 2x80min cd svcd from and 1hr20mins source, and this
is perfectly fit to the 2 cd even with the 2520 constant bitrate.

Griff  2002-07-30 15:51:49 ( ID:hrx7erbzyah )   [ Delete / Reply with quotation ]

If you're happy twith the resultant quality then go ahead. However, you would be able to use a higher CQ setting for those 2 CD's. The problem would be that you wouldn't know the final file sizes, 'till the encoding had been completed.

Griff

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.