Delete

At least one comment has been added to this article, only an administrator can delete the article now.

Do you really want to delete this article?

Enter the password for this article, then click the "Delete" button. Click the "Cancel" button to exit this page.

Question - AVI DV to DVD (PAL): field ordering issue No.71067
benoitm  2018-08-21 17:19:27 ( ID:mku67hms8dw )  

when authoring a PAL DVD from AVI DV (PAL), I get jerky playback. Am I supposed to override the default settings (re field ordering)?
I understand AVI DV PAL is BFF, while theoretically PAL DVD is TFF; by default TAW5 keeps BFF when authoring a PAL DVD from AVI DV (BFF) and this is confirmed by MediaInfo; normally this should not be a problem, but both VLC and a regular home DVD player exhibit heavy jerky playback playing the DVD, indicating incorrect field ordering.
Note: the AVI DV material was digitized from PAL VHS tapes, and playback of this AVI in VLC is perfect.
Should I override some settings in TAW5 ? Or should I first do a roundtrip to TVMW6 ?
Obviously I want to keep the video interlaced.

benoitm  2018-08-22 02:07:00 ( ID:mku67hms8dw )  

After having struggled with field ordering with TAW5 & TVMW6 I found out that by default the AVI DV decoder used on my system are the MATROX codecs; by forcing the DirectShow codec at file import stage, I get more logical results: video is no longer jerky.
However I am still a bit puzzled with the necessity to swap field order when going from AVI DV PAL (BFF) to DVD PAL (TFF, according to specs): TAW5 keeps the source field order (BFF in this case) when using the DVD PAL template: is that 'compliant' ? Will a BFF DVD play correctly on all players in PAL land ?

View article | Back to TMPGEnc Home | Administrator TMPGEnc Net

Script written by TMPGEnc.